What do you listening on vinyl, now?

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

Re: What do you listening on vinyl, now?

Postby Rick K » 19 Nov 2010, 23:04

Just got this in the mail today, and am enjoying it after a whole day of plastering and sanding:

The Black Crowes/Croweology/3 Vinyls/2010

Twas a week ago tonight that I saw these guys and what a show it was !

11/20:
Muddy Waters/King Bee/1981

11/21:
Muddy Waters/Down On Stovall`s Plantation(1941-1942 Library Of Congress recordings)/1966
Johnny Winter/Captured Live/1976
The Who/Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy/1971

R.K.
Rick K

Postby Rick K » 12 Jan 2011, 16:43

Just finished:
Rory Gallagher/Philby/Hellcat/Country Mile/1979/7"

now it`s:
Monster Magnet/4-Way Diablo/2LPs/2007

now it`s:
AC\DC/Rarities/2009
nice, after all these years, to hear new Bon Scott selections.....too bad he didn`t Stick Around..........

now it`s:
R.L. Burnside/First Recordings/2003
This was recorded in 1968

now it`s:
North Mississippi Allstars/Electric Blue Watermellon/2005

R.K.
Rick K

Postby Rick K » 16 Jan 2011, 14:14

Yesterday was a Rory and Warren Day for me.
I listened to these Warren vinyls(and watched Rory on DVD)

Warren Haynes/Tales Of Ordinary Madness/2 LPs/2008(1993)
Gov`t Mule/By A Thread/2LPs/2009
Gov`t Mule/Deja Voodoo/2 LPs/2008(2004)
Gov`t Mule/High and Mighty/2LPs/2006
The Allman Brothers Band/Seven Turns/1990

Today:
Dave Matthews Band/Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King/2LPs/2009

today(1/17/11):
Muddy Waters/Chess Maters`/2LPs/1981

today(1/18/11):
Woodstock/3 LPs/1970
Edgar Winter/Entrance/1970
When we were young, Edgar and I looked almost identical, but not anymore(he`s not fat and I`ve darkened !)

Barry White/Can`t Get Enough/1974
The last of my vinyl starting with the letter W.
In 2010 I listened to all my vinyls starting with the letters N, O, Q, U, V, W, X,Y, and Z..........
Except for about 40 which I`ve listened to this year, to finish up.

today(1/19/11)
R.L. Burnside/A Ass Pocket Full Of Whiskey/1996
Recorded in the afternoon of 2/6/96 at Lunati Farms in Holly Springs Mississippi.
His ol` buddies Luther and Cody Dickinson open for Plant tonight in Pittsburgh on their 2nd night out.
I`m sure they`ll play some R.L. tonight......almost always do.........

John Prine/Fair and Square/2 LPs/2007
Can never go wrong with a John Prine record. He`ll help you put things in perspective.

then it`ll be:
Gregg Allman/Low Country Blues/2 LPs/2011
Finally the UPS gal knocked at the door with this and all else included in pre-order package.

R.K.
Rick K

Postby Rick K » 29 Jan 2011, 18:48

Today I`m listening to Leon Russell, in anticipation of tonight`s show:

Leon Russell/Carney/1972
I hope he does songs from this album tonight !
"Sittin` along the highway in a broken van........thinkin` of you again"

Leon Russell/Leon Live/1973/3 LPs

Leon Russell and Marc Benno/Look Inside Asylum Choir/1968

R.K.
Rick K

Postby Rick K » 03 Feb 2011, 17:26

Today(so far):

Corky Laing/Makin` It On The Street/1977

Captain Beyond/no title/1972

IF/Tea-Break Over-Back On Your `eads/1974

Paul McCartney/McCartney II/1980

John Cougar Mellancamp/Uh-Huh/1983

Doug Sahm/Doug Sahm and Band/1973
including Bob Dylan, Mac Rebennack(Dr. John), and David Bromberg

Jackson Browne/The Pretender/1976

The Beach Boys/High Water/2LPs/1973

Jorma Kaukonen with Tom Hopson/Quah/1974

today(2/4/11) it`s:

Susan Tedeschi/Back To The River/2008
Her BEST ! in my opinion........hope to see her with her husband this year !

Foghat/Energized/1974
This was my first exposure to Foghat......and seeing Foghat in `76 was my first exposure to Rory.......

R.K.
Rick K

Postby asdesas » 04 Feb 2011, 20:06

Makin' It on the Street--a sadly overlooked record!!! Some nice songs and textures. I remember it well from back in the day. Rick, what do you think of it?

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Rick K » 04 Feb 2011, 22:03

A VERY good question Richard.........and see why in my answer.

I had never heard this album before I bought it nearly a year ago. Got it for next to nothing and thought it would be good, as I had always loved him with Leslie West. I have a drum stick of his from seeing Mountain in the 1990s, at a small outdoor venue along with Foghat, before both Dave and Rod`s passing. Corky had been trying to bounce one to me off the drums. He sent at least 8 or 10 my way. They all fell short of the guy waving his arms for another attempt(ME !). In despiration he stood up and threw it straight at me, with almost anger in his face, and I put my arm up and snagged it fast ! I don`t know if the crowd was more stunned by his act or mine. A great memory !

back to my answer..........So I figured it(Makin` It On The Street) would have the energy I was used to from him, but no. And like it is when you expect one thing, and get another, I put it aside after one listen and never looked back.........until yesterday. Now to the REAL answer>I really like it and will listen again soon. That`s another problem with having as much music as I have......first impressions last. Too many other things to distract me from a second listen which is usually a much better gauge of the music than the first listen anyhow, when the expectations are over.

If you noticed.......I also played my new(to me) Captain Beyond Vinyl. It came wrapped in a paper bag !!!!!!!!! The post office all but destroyed the cover, but the vinyl(after cleaning it 3 times) is in Excellent condition.....not the MINT as discribbed. Luckily the cardboard was bent around the vinyl, and not through it. Only the 2nd time I`ve left a negative feedback on eBay. I CAN understand that I grade vinyl more harsh than the average person.......BUT.....I can`t understand selling something and labling it as COLLECTABLE.......and then putting no care into packing or shipping. As Ron White says: " You Can`t Fix Stupid !

Now it`s been:

Black Sabbath/no title/1970
Black Sabbath/Master Of Reality/1971
This was played weekly(almost daily) in our lunch room in high school in the early 70`s along with Jethro Tull`s Aqualung, Carol King`s Tapestry, and James Taylor`s Sweet Baby James.

Later, Rick
Rick K

!!!

Postby Simone67 » 04 Feb 2011, 23:58

....OZZY OSBOURNE !!! THE WRIT !!!!!!!!!!!! BANG !!!
Simone67

Postby asdesas » 05 Feb 2011, 00:55

Rick K wrote: I figured it(Makin` It On The Street) would have the energy I was used to from him, but no. And like it is when you expect one thing, and get another, I put it aside after one listen and never looked back.........until yesterday. Now to the REAL answer>I really like it and will listen again soon. That`s another problem with having as much music as I have......first impressions last. Too many other things to distract me from a second listen which is usually a much better gauge of the music than the first listen anyhow, when the expectations are over.

Hahaha I had the EXACT same reaction when I bought it when it came out! i was expecting a rockin' Mountain-esque record and was disappointed because it was so laid back. Leslie West was one of my big heroes--and for some reason I expected a Leslie West-like sound, duh. I put it aside for about a year then dug it out again because I was looking for more songs to learn on guitar, then I really started liking it. Haven't listened in years but I remember some of the songs. A real sweet disc.

It's been the same with me many times--I get turned off by a first impression of a band (or refuse to give a band a fair shake because they're too "popular")--then later I regret it and catch up.

I'd do more than give that guy bad feedback, I'd hunt him down and knock him on the head with Captain Beyond. The cover is so cool! A real shame.

Great story about Corky and the sticks! I saw a later incarnation of Mountain in the 80's and I swear he must have gone through 50 sticks trying to bounce them into people's drinks!

So now you've got me digging through my memory and of course Youtube, thanks as always.

If anybody's reading this rambling and wonders what we're talking about, here's a solo track from Corky, always liked this one--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrmjIONR ... re=related

And speaking of Corky, this is interesting and as is often the case with Corky, funny--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmIxQWEz_2Y

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Rick K » 05 Feb 2011, 14:13

North Mississippi Allstars/Keys To The Kingdom/2011
I ordered it on vinyl, but there`s a manufacturers` delay, so they sent me my download link. On my 3rd listen !

Richard.......I`ve really been enjoying swapping info with you lately.
Great to get to know someone with semi parallel interests in music as me and who is similarly verbose !!!
I`ll bet you actually know how to type though, not a two finger plucker like me.....one to type and one to shift !
Got my mother`s 80th celebration today/tonight with all my brothers and families in town to join in.

I really enjoyed the links you put up. I had never heard that song before. I liked it !
Corky`s a corker......ain`t he ! I like people who are straight up about how they feel !

Later my new bi-coastal friend, Rick
Rick K

PreviousNext

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum