What do you listening on vinyl, now?

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

Re: What do you listening on vinyl, now?

Postby asdesas » 16 Oct 2011, 21:03

Foghat! Thank for posting these, Rick! Great band!

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Rick K » 29 Oct 2011, 14:21

Today I`m listeng to one of my newest aquisitions:

Gov`t Mule/Deep End/2 Vinyls/2011(2001)
This was just released on vinyl......10 years after the original release on CDs

LOVE their version of John Fogerty`s song !!!!

Last night I listened to another of my newest aquisitions:

Rory Gallagher/Notes From San Francisco/3 Vinyls/2011(1978, 1979)
Gotta say that the LIVE songs are some of the BEST live recordings I~VE EVER HEARD BY ANYBODY !!!!!!!!
As disappointed as I`ve been in Donal`s remastering of original recordings he NAILED THIS ONE !!!!!!!!!!
The songs are much fuller and brighter than on the CD !!!!!!!!
It`s the closest I`ve ever heard to actually being there !!!!!!
MAYBE......because of Daniel`s input on it !?!?!?????????

Got frustrated with this U.S. marketing of Rory`s NFSF(I think they`ve dropped the ball !!!), and ordered it from the UK including 36 page booklet and postcard with download info for Osaka sessions plus 3 San Fran ones.
PAID: 31.99 GBP plus 5 GBP shipping to get it here. Works out to about $60 U.S. money for to get it, and get it here.
Could have bought it for about $30 and paid $4 to have it delivered here...from a U.S. vendor.................
BUT it wouldn`t have had the download card OR 36 page booklet included............
I guess that`s how they even things out.............
HAVE THE ORIGINAL RELEASE PARTY here in the U.S.
HAVE THE ORIGINAL PRESSING OF VINYL released in UK.

ANYHOW..........I`d been to the release party in N.Y.C. in May where I bought it on CDs, and NOW I`ve bought the fullest packaging of the vinyl as well.

R.K.

p.s......snowin` like a mo fo out !!!! Expecting 4 to 8 inches today and we`ve got 110 miles each way to a North Mississippi Allstars show tonight in Pittsburgh. I`m getting the best of my 3 favorite singer/songwriter/guitarist/frontmen.........and all in less than 30 hours !!!!!
Rick K

Postby Rick K » 05 Nov 2011, 17:24

I picked up some original pressings a couple weeks ago, that I listened to this past week:

Sam & Dave/Soul Men/1967/Vinyl
Sonny & Cher/Look At Us/1965/Vinyl.......Sonny still had sharp edges to his voice(liked it better !)
John Lennon/Walls and Bridges/1974/Vinyl
John Lennon/Some Time In New York City/2 Vinyls/1972....still has petition to keep John in U.S. & postcard
Jerry Lee Lewis/The Session/2 Vinyls/1973.....mint condition for $2.99 with 4 Rory appearances ! Bought this for my son, as I have already had it for years

Hoping more would come in the mail today.................NEXT WEEK FER SURE !!!!

R.K.
Rick K

Postby mike6262 » 05 Nov 2011, 18:25

Cheap Trick: Heaven Tonight
Planet P Project: Debut
Planet P Project: Pink World
mike6262

Postby Rick K » 10 Nov 2011, 16:36

Today I`m listening to my newest aquisition:

Gov`t Mule/The Deep End Volume 2/2 Vinyls/2011(2002)

R.K.
Rick K

Postby mike6262 » 10 Nov 2011, 19:11

Remember when REO Speedwagon was a hard rock band, and a damn good one. Gary Richrath a tremendous talent.
mike6262

Postby Rick K » 10 Nov 2011, 20:28

I Hear Ya Mike !

I liked REO from the get go, even with the other two early singers........and Gary.....what a guitarist, as your video shows. Unfortunately Kevin Kept On Pushin` and when he became more than the singer in the band it slowly started goin` his direction, and further away from Gary`s songwriting and influences. Always loved Gary and tolerated Kevin, because his vocals did fit. Gary`s increasing alcoholism and clashes with Kevin finally got him the boot and I don`t listen to them anymore. BUT since you posted this, I`m gonna set these albums aside and listen to some of the ealier ones sometime soon.
I`ll try and get more scanned from that GP mag and add to your picture soon also.

R.K.

Rick K

Postby mike6262 » 11 Nov 2011, 02:32

I started losing interest in REO with "You Can Tune A Piano....". You could hear the bubble gum element creeping in at that point, but that album still has it's moments. The live album, You Get What You Play For, is one of my all time favorite live albums. I saw them many many times, usually opening for The Doobie Brothers. Everyone blames Kevin for the direction of the band, and he did take it in that direction at full speed, but what are you going to do when the other creative force is a alcoholic, and very unpredictable. I miss Gary Richrath very much, I look around the internet for any thing about Gary, good or bad, and there is nothing happening in his camp, or so it seems.
mike6262

Postby Rick K » 11 Nov 2011, 13:31

FIRST OFF.......MIKE......you goin` to see Warren tonight ????? He`s playin` Chattanooga tonight........

REO Speedwagon was the background music for my first marriage..........
Dating started in the Tuna Piano era and the marriage ended in the Hi Infidelity era............
She looked just like that woman who says her kid is to Justin Bieber.

Another of their better ones :

Let the Midnight Special shine it`s everlovin` light on you............

R.K.
Rick K

Postby mike6262 » 11 Nov 2011, 15:48

Hi Rick.
Yes I am going to see Warren tonight. I will miss the opening band, I have a gig myself tonight, opening for a local band. But will head over to see Warren when we wrap it up.
mike6262

PreviousNext

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum