Ma Rainey at The Lyttleton Theatre

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

Ma Rainey at The Lyttleton Theatre

Postby SUBY1974 » 02 Mar 2016, 00:11

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows ... ack-bottom
I will be going. Ma Rainey was considered the Mother of the Blues. I do not want to miss this theatre performance. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Re: Ma Rainey at The Lyttleton Theatre

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Mar 2016, 22:02

Went to the National Theatre near Waterloo,London today to see a play about the great Mother Of Blues singer Ma Rainey. It was a fantastic set; fantastic actors and a brilliant performance. The live singing was so good. The actors could sing and play instruments. I not going to give a huge review of the story. However I liked what Ma Rainey said. She said music fills an emptiness in life. It tries to explain life. The Blues do that. The Blues has always been there and Ma Rainey just helped to bring them out. I will definitely be listening to her songs. Her rival was the great Bessie Smith. Ma Rainey I believe was a strong woman,with a strong personality. I also thought the guy who played Levee the horn player was very good. A lot of interesting topics were raised in the play. A must watch. Subrata.xxx
SUBY1974

Postby ailish78 » 26 Mar 2016, 22:35

I had never heard of Ma Rainey so I checked her out on you tube. Thank you Suby. I've always listened to Bessie Smith.
ailish78

Postby CiaSeattle » 27 Mar 2016, 00:59

Love Ma Rainey. So any of the early blues women were overlooked. Big Mama Thornton would be probably be unknown by most people if not for Janis Joplin. One of my favorite Ma Rainey lyrics:

“Grand opera and parlor junk,
I’ll tell the world that it’s all bunk,
That’s the kind of stuff I shun,
Let’s get dirty and have some fun”

If you've not heard Sister Rosetta Tharpe, here's one of my favorites on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2gR6SZC2M

So many artists went unrecognized here is the US, it's almost criminal since these were the ones who started it all. Thanks to the Music Maker Foundation, now their work and stories are being preserved. Check out their website; http://www.musicmaker.org/ , you can listen to some of the current artists they work with. I highly recommend it for any blues fan. It was started in 1994, I think if Rory was still around, he would be totally into this. Here is a video done in 2007 about what they do and featuring some of the artists they helped and still helping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBILt-L ... DVHcWhCAnj
CiaSeattle

Postby ailish78 » 27 Mar 2016, 11:00

Thanks for the links Ciaseattle. Yes I have listened to Sister Rosetta and Big mama Thornton, I just hadn't heard of Ma Rainey. As acsinger myself I have listened to quite a few older singers, but more big band singers rather than blues. e.g. Mildred Bailey. I love her and of course Billie Holiday. I can't thank Janis enough for intoducing me to some of the early blues singers back in the day. :) I'll definitely check out those links you sent.
I must say that thanks to Rory I've really been getting into vintage blues and I've listened to just about everything he would have been listening too. I just bought a box cd set of Leadbelly stuff. It's still in its wrapping in the car. I'm listeninf to a compilation of vintage blues at the moment interspersed with Rory songsvof course. I'm planning on listening to the Leadbelly after that. I can't thank Rory enough for the blues education. :)
ailish78

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum