What was the first album you ever bought?

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

What was the first album you ever bought?

Postby blues blooded » 13 Mar 2016, 19:42

The first album I bought was ABBA's Greatest Hits Vol 1 on cassette!

I'm not ashamed at all. ABBA are one of the greatest pop bands ever. I've got them on my iPod, along with Rory, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy etc
blues blooded

Re: What was the first album you ever bought?

Postby ailish78 » 13 Mar 2016, 22:00

I like ABBA as well. I think mine was...wait for it.... The Osmonds Crazy Horses or something like that when I was about 11. I can't be absolutely sure about the title, but I definitely had a thing for Donny Osmond pre-puberty. My musical taste hadn't properly developed.Of course I hadn't heard of RG yet.
ailish78

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Mar 2016, 22:50

First one I ever bought was The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night. And, the albums sold in the U.S. were titled differently than those in the U.K. It cost me $2.50, and took me weeks to save up for it. I was 10 at the time, and wanted to buy a Beatles album, and when I finally had saved up enough I went to the Thrifty's Drug Store in Glendora, CA and bought it. We didn't have a record store near by, but that drug store was near the market where my mom did the weekly shopping, and I rode with her. There was only that one to choose from, and it featured the Beatles, but also some instrumentals from the movie. I wanted to buy one of their albums that had nothing but the Beatles on it, but there wasn't much of a selection in that store.
RobertaSparrow

Postby folkdeejay » 14 Mar 2016, 09:37

Blue for You - a great LP by Status Quo. I was about 12 ( paper-round money) and it had been out a few years by then. As I recall ( but this was a longggggg time ago !) I went to the record shop for a different album, Thin Lizzy I think, but saw this (a really cool gatefold sleeve) and bought it instead.

My first Rory LP, btw, was Blueprint. Bought it in 1979, maybe a year or so after the first one, Blue for You. Following a scout camp when one of the older scouts had it on tape. I was instantly hooked, and it is still one of my favurite LP's by anyone. Saw him live a few months later, and his back catalogue was soon bought with milk-round, birthday and christmas cash...
folkdeejay

Postby vasdis » 14 Mar 2016, 14:38

Mr Tambourine Man by the Byrds on the original CBS label, still has the price sticker on (32/11)
First Rory album i bought was his first self titled album ,which i also now have on cd, i used to do my technical college
homework with it on loudly driving my parents to distraction especially with Laundromat.
I obviously had On The Boards long before this buying it off a workmate for £1.25 (he wanted £1) but it was worth far more !
vasdis

Postby blues blooded » 14 Mar 2016, 20:43

RobertaSparrow wrote:First one I ever bought was The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night. And, the albums sold in the U.S. were titled differently than those in the U.K. It cost me $2.50, and took me weeks to save up for it. I was 10 at the time, and wanted to buy a Beatles album, and when I finally had saved up enough I went to the Thrifty's Drug Store in Glendora, CA and bought it. We didn't have a record store near by, but that drug store was near the market where my mom did the weekly shopping, and I rode with her. There was only that one to choose from, and it featured the Beatles, but also some instrumentals from the movie. I wanted to buy one of their albums that had nothing but the Beatles on it, but there wasn't much of a selection in that store.

The UK Beatles albums were vastly superior to the US versions . I think after Help they released the same versions
blues blooded

Postby ailish78 » 14 Mar 2016, 21:34

I remember only really getting into the Beatles when I was about 15. The bass player in our band was a huge fan and taught me everything about them. My first album was the White Album believe it or or not. I was totally hooked on that. Then came Revolver and only then did I start to get all the early stuff. I love just about everything they did.
ailish78

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Mar 2016, 22:05

This is going to sound a bit sad but don't forget I was an 80s and 90s kid. The first album must have been by the boy band New Kids On The Blocks Hanging Tough in 1989. I rest my case. Subrata. xx
SUBY1974

Postby CiaSeattle » 28 Mar 2016, 04:15

RobertaSparrow wrote:First one I ever bought was The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night. And, the albums sold in the U.S. were titled differently than those in the U.K. It cost me $2.50, and took me weeks to save up for it. I was 10 at the time, and wanted to buy a Beatles album, and when I finally had saved up enough I went to the Thrifty's Drug Store in Glendora, CA and bought it. We didn't have a record store near by, but that drug store was near the market where my mom did the weekly shopping, and I rode with her. There was only that one to choose from, and it featured the Beatles, but also some instrumentals from the movie. I wanted to buy one of their albums that had nothing but the Beatles on it, but there wasn't much of a selection in that store.

Cynthia, the drugstore thing brought a smile...I grew up in a small town and got my first Beatle album at the drugstore too! It wasn't my first album, though. The first album I bought was Dylan's first album. I had to go to the big city 45 miles away for that, it was in 1962. Before most folks on this forum were born, I imagine. :D I went to see the Beatles in 1964 (cost a whole $5.00, the most expensive show I went to back then!) My Dad had to drive us, it was about 2 weeks before my 16th birthday, so I didn't have my drivers license yet. I didn't get to see Dylan live until 1966, I believe that show was about $3.00. The last time I saw Dylan was Sept. 1998 in Oakland CA. He was touring with Van Morrison, Lucinda Williams was the opening act. What a show that was! Don't know how much the tickets were, my SO at the time took me for my birthday, but I imagine it was a bit more that $3.00!!
Last edited by CiaSeattle on 28 Mar 2016, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
CiaSeattle

Postby vasdis » 28 Mar 2016, 08:08

vasdis wrote:Mr Tambourine Man by the Byrds on the original CBS label, still has the price sticker on (32/11)
First Rory album i bought was his first self titled album ,which i also now have on cd, i used to do my technical college
homework with it on loudly driving my parents to distraction especially with Laundromat.
I obviously had On The Boards long before this buying it off a workmate for £1.25 (he wanted £1) but it was worth far more !

My first 7" 45 single was The Who------------------------I Can See For Miles (6/8)same price as a gallon of petrol,which
i lent somebody and never saw it again.
vasdis

Next

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum