What was the first album you ever bought?

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

Re: What was the first album you ever bought?

Postby AnnaMaria » 28 Mar 2016, 19:21

Coming from Sweden Abba ofcourse, "Ring Ring" as a single.
AnnaMaria

Postby leftyaxeman » 29 Mar 2016, 22:22

Black Sabbath ~ Master of Reality

Against the Grain ~ 1st Rory album
leftyaxeman

Postby Sid_Sidow » 30 Mar 2016, 00:19

I had to about 7 or 8 and loved the catchy tune on the radio - "I'm Henery the Eighth, I Am" by Herman's Hermits
So searched out the album, no idea how much it cost back in 1965....

First Rory was Tattoo after I saw him on US TV show Don Kirshners Rock Concert. Must have been 1975.
Searched my local hardware store that carried LPs and could never find it. We took a family trip to Denver Colorado and was excited to find it in a 'real' record store!
Then I bought Irish Tour '74 which is my absolute favorite to today (loved the 40th Anniversary set!!!)
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Postby Sinner Girl » 19 Apr 2016, 20:31

My first album was Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits on cassette second was Queen !
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby ailish78 » 19 Apr 2016, 22:56

Janis Joplin :) She was a very special human being. She also really lived the blues I think. It's so sad what happened to her. I never really understood her when I was younger, but now I really get it.
ailish78

Postby bronyr » 20 Apr 2016, 03:49

blues blooded wrote:The first album I bought was ABBA's Greatest Hits Vol 1 on cassette!

I'm not ashamed at all. ABBA are one of the greatest pop bands ever. I've got them on my iPod, along with Rory, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy etc

Back in the 70s, and even 80s, I went out of my way to dis Abba. As I got older, I realized what a great pop band they were. I love them now!
bronyr

Postby bronyr » 20 Apr 2016, 03:50

ailish78 wrote:I like ABBA as well. I think mine was...wait for it.... The Osmonds Crazy Horses or something like that when I was about 11. I can't be absolutely sure about the title, but I definitely had a thing for Donny Osmond pre-puberty. My musical taste hadn't properly developed.Of course I hadn't heard of RG yet.

Donny! So many kids loved the Osmonds. They never did it for me as a child, but I thought they were cute. I liked the Jackson Five!
bronyr

Postby bronyr » 20 Apr 2016, 04:03

I bought 3 records together for the first time. I was 12. Led Zeppelin's Presence, Steve Miller's Book of Dreams, and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. I had 6 older kids in my house, each one playing different things. One was a Stax/Motown fan, 2 were more into pop - Beatles, Elton John, etc. 2 were huge into Zeppelin, another was into Southern Rock. My parents played guitar and sang Bob Dylan, Leadbelly, Tom Paxton, Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, as well as tons of Irish Folk.

I still regret not knowing about Rory back then. I KNOW for sure I heard a snippet of Taste at the Isle of Wight when I was about 14 or 15. And I always knew about Rory, because he was in the magazines I was buying that had Led Zep in them (I was a Zep fanatic.) When I ask my "old Zep pals" about Rory now, they all say "Oh yes of course we had all of Rory's records.." But I don't know how I really missed the boat. Does anyone remember if he was played on "Album Rock" stations? Or was it just college and alternative stations? (Sorry I got off tangent a bit..)
bronyr

Previous

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum