The Telegraph..Good article about men and depression.

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

The Telegraph..Good article about men and depression.

Postby SUBY1974 » 16 Apr 2015, 13:56

At the moment a family member of mine is going through depression and the effect on the family and me has been enormous as well as on my relative. This is a good article. Subrata. X http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/m ... quiet.html
SUBY1974

Re: The Telegraph..Good article about men and depression.

Postby photofinish » 16 Apr 2015, 17:47

Will read that....went through a terrible time in 1993/1995.......horrendous ILLNESS.......
photofinish

Postby SUBY1974 » 16 Apr 2015, 20:56

Men and women should be able to talk about their feelings. In this way help can be given. I have myself suffered "deep blues" in 2003. It was good to talk about it and with the help of assertive techniques and a touch of CBT I was able to see my issues differently from a different perspective. I also follow the holistic lifestyle. I never took medication ever. I work with the jobcentres and therapy clinics. I have many people with depression and give help and advise. Hence I want to run motivation classes,alongside my writing in the future. With my family member we are getting there but we all had to remain strong for him. Stigma must be removed regarding depression and mental health. We also need a better lifestyle for society as a whole IMO. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 17 Apr 2015, 01:33

Depression is not a "one size fits all" sort of illness. In my case it is inherited, and most likely a chemical imbalance in the brain is the cause, so no amount of talk therapy really helps. For me, SSRIs have been a lifesaver.

But each individual needs to seek out the best way forward. What works for me might make someone else feel much worse.

The best thing we can do for someone going through depression is to be there for support, and always be open for someone when they need to talk. Keep a lifeline open for them.

RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 18 Apr 2015, 18:42

I agree. I feel, certainly in my case to offer the support they need and be prepared to listen. I feel it is important still for the person to be heard. Yes everyone is different. We all have different needs. So treating depression for individuals vary, which is fine. For my relative he did not like psychotherapy but he feels CBT is helping. It varies. I am growing from this experience with him. We all are but it is a long process. I also fear sometimes going into the black hole myself again but in the last 12 years I feel stronger and happier. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Annie Elliott » 18 Apr 2015, 21:50

Great article Suby, thanks for posting.
Annie Elliott

Postby SUBY1974 » 23 Apr 2016, 18:10

This article Exhaustion Epidemic was written in 2006 in the Guardian. Pretty interesting how 21st century life can wear us down. The intiative that I have started to bring in meditation and breathing exercises into my workplace environment is proving beneficial. I hope it will move to the rest of the civil service department that I work for.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... g.features
SUBY1974

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum