What were your best gigs / concerts / festivals of 2014

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

What were your best gigs / concerts / festivals of 2014

Postby Stevo » 29 Nov 2014, 21:55

I know there is still 1 month to go before the end of 2014, but what were the best gigs you went to this year? Any music style.

I only went to 4, so here that are.

Robert Cray (soulful blues singer/guitarist) The Sage, Gateshead.
Haven't seen Robert Cray in years, so it was good to see him again. Excellent sound at The Sage. New album is more soul than blues, but still good. Only complaint is he never does a long set.

Matt Schofield (British blues guitarist/singer) The Cluny, Newcastle
Matt is one of the best blues guitarists around at the moment. I love his style and phrasing. It's given me a much needed kick up the butt to get out of the Minor Pentatonic box. Great gig, but the volume was far too loud for a small club.

Pierre Bensusan (French acoustic fingerstyle guitarist - 'The thief of DADGAD') Gateshead Town Hall
Been going to see Pierre since the late 80's. Instrumental fingerstyle guitar isn't for everyone, but I love it. His new Lowden looks and sounds great. Another great gig.

Counting Crows Newcastle 02 Academy
Seen the Counting Crows a few times, and they never disappoint. Excellent live band. Great venue, great sound, great new album, great gig. Bought the recording of the show from the official live Counting Crows website as soon as it was released (why don't more artists do this?) Best gig of 2014 for me.

Gerry and his Band of Friends did play the Cluny in Newcastle, and I was torn about wether to go or not, but in the end, I had to go up to Scotland for work, so I didn't have to make that decision.
(But let's not turn this into another one of 'those' threds).

So what were your best gigs?
Stevo

Re: What were your best gigs / concerts / festivals of 2014

Postby SUBY1974 » 07 Dec 2014, 22:12

I went to Wildlife Rock Concert with Brian May. I also went to the Ealing Blues Festival in Ealing London in June.I went to the Cork Rocks For Rory in Cork in June 2014. I saw Band of Friends at the Citrus Club in Edinburgh. I saw Sinnerboy and Black Charge at the Citrus club in Edinburgh in Sept 2014. I also saw the San Frontiers Blues Band at the National Portrait gallery in summer in London. Before Jan 2014 I saw Depeche Mode at the O2 arena in Nov 2013 and in Dec 2013 I saw Bob Dylan at the Royal Albert Hall. That is pretty much it. I do see other performances like Sara Baras (world famous flamenco dancer) at Sadler Wells for my birthday in March 2014 and I did see the opening ceremony and performances at a new Hindu temple that opened near where I live in London. I go to a lot of literature events as well. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 07 Dec 2014, 22:15

In February 2015 I am seeing Queen with Adam Lambert at Wembley Arena. Got our tickets already and its gonna be a blast. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Stevo » 08 Dec 2014, 23:28

What do you think of Adam Lambert?
How does he compare with Paul Rodgers (or Freddie)?
Stevo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Dec 2014, 17:52

I went to see Jack White this summer in Portland. He does put on a good show.
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 11 Dec 2014, 22:00

Stevo wrote:What do you think of Adam Lambert?
How does he compare with Paul Rodgers (or Freddie)?

Hi Stevo. I have heard that Adam Lambert is good. He won American Idol. I have not seen either of them but after I see Adam Lambert myself with Queen, I will post my views on this board. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum