Christmas Bread Recipe

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

Christmas Bread Recipe

Postby RobertaSparrow » 24 Dec 2013, 03:05

This is a Christmas bread recipe. I haven't made this one in years, but I will tonight.

We're still living in the 19th century here, so the measurements weren't converted to metric. I was going to do that, but I'm too lazy. :mrgreen:

1 pkg active dry yeast
1 cup lukewarm milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 1/2- 3 cups flour
Small amount of melted butter

Soak overnight:

1 cup raisins in small bowl
enough brandy or Cognac to cover raisins
add brown sugar and spice to taste (I use cinnamon, a little ginger, ground cloves)
(the raisins will absorb the liquid and plump up)
Stir 1 tablespoon of flour into the raisin liquid mixture before adding to the bread.

Then,

Dissolve the yeast in the warm (not hot- you don't want to make the yeast unhappy) milk, then add the sugar, salt, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter to the bowl. After the yeast proofs, add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, gradually to make a stiff dough. Turn out to a floured surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes-

Place dough in a buttered bowl, turn to coat the surface with butter, cover and set in a warm dark place to rise for about 2 1/2 hours.

After the dough has about doubled in bulk, turn out and knead for about 3 minutes, then return to the bowl and allow to rise for 1/2 hour.

flatten and roll the dough out to a rectangle of about 7x20 inches. Brush the surface of the dough with melted butter, then add the raisin mixture over the top. Carefully roll the dough up tightly, and place, seam-side down, into an 8x4x2 buttered loaf pan.

Cover and let rise again, for 30 minutes or so, until the dough rises just above the pan.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 degrees for another 30 or so.

After the loaf has cooled you can drizzle a glaze made of milk or cream and powdered sugar over the top if desired.

Note: the alcohol doesn't all bake out, so, keep in mind ;)
RobertaSparrow

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum