NICE ARTICLE ABOUT HOW MUSIC CAN HEAL AND ITS POWER.

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

NICE ARTICLE ABOUT HOW MUSIC CAN HEAL AND ITS POWER.

Postby SUBY1974 » 07 Jan 2013, 23:23

Here you go Rory. As you know Rory believed music could heal and this article provides a good insight into the research. I am learning about music and sound therapy for my motivational work. Interesting stringed instruments like the guitar, harp, violin when played their notes are very effective in healing especially with the sound they make. I have to say Rory's playing has a healing effect. If I have a bad day, as soon as I hear him play guitar I feel instantly better and he knows that! :D Subrata.x

Music Possesses an Amazing Healing Power
December 25, 2012
Although we strive to maintain health and avoid doctors and especially hospitals, bad things can and do happen. Sometimes it’s an accident; sometimes we come to a healthy life style too late and have incurred too much damage to completely recover. Now, music is taking a major role in helping critically ill patients recover. Imagine the role it could play in our lives when we aren’t critically ill!

Music Speeds Healing
As Victor Fabry slept in his hospital bed after open heart surgery, music gently filled his room. Immediately after surgery a live harpist played at his bedside, followed by the undulating strains of a Brazilian guitarist playing nearly nonstop from a CD player. His heart literally began beating in rhythm with guitarist Tomaz Lima. The music became medicine. “Very restful, very soothing,” said Fabry, 68, now almost two years removed from the surgery. “The mind influences your recovery. Anything that quiets your anxiety is powerful.’”

Science supports Mr. Fabry’s observations. Many hospitals, including such renowned names as Massachusetts General and the Mayo Clinic are treating patients with music and medicine simultaneously. This therapy is being applied with ICU patients, cancer patients and patients with brain disorders with astounding success. Even physicians admit there is more at work here than just a psychological high from the natural enjoyment of music.

Music weaves an intricate physiological dance with the body’s neurons and blood cells and this dance is now being intensely studied by various researchers. Their findings are being applied in more and more hospitals. Music therapy has actually been used for thousands of years. Today, scientists are just beginning to understand how it works. Dr. Claudius Conrad, a senior surgical resident at Harvard Medical School and a gifted pianist is about to launch a study of music’s impact on the sleep cycle of acutely ill hospitalized patients. It has already been shown that if certain slow pieces such as some of the works of Mozart are played, the listener’s heart will adapt to the beat of the music.

From Music Notes to Hormones
Musical tones follow an intricate highway from the head to the rest of the body. The trip begins with sound waves traveling through the air and landing in the middle ear where they cause the eardrums and bones in the middle ear to vibrate. The brain transforms the mechanical energy into electrical energy and then sends the electrical impulse to the “thinking” part of the brain, the cerebral cortex which controls thought, perception and memory. The cerebral cortex then sends the impulses to the response centers of the brain that control emotion, arousal, anxiety, pleasure and creativity. Then there is yet another stop: the hypothalamus, a small area deep in the brain that controls heart rate, respiration, blood pressure, body temperature and the nerves in the stomach and skin. The hypothalamus strives to maintain equilibrium throughout the body. Think about how certain songs will give you “butterflies” in your stomach or goose bumps on your arms. This entire trip through the brain happens in less than a heart beat, but the journey has just begun.

First, these electrical signals are converted to hormones in the brain. Dr. Conrad found that along with the need for fewer sedatives and the need to normalize blood pressure and heart rates, critically ill patients showed a 50% spike in growth hormone, produced in the pituitary gland, after listening to just one hour of Mozart piano sonatas. If patients or their families are unable to choose the music, Dr. Conrad often chooses Mozart for his critically ill patients. The various hormones then leave the brain and flow throughout the body via the bloodstream where they calm or stimulate various systems.

Classical music is the most common choice among doctors and therapists. The vibration of stringed instruments in particular is thought to intertwine with the energy of the heart, small intestine, and the thyroid and adrenal glands as shown by research at the Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute in New Jersey.

Hip Hop Healing?
Scientists are now wondering what effect other genres of music such as hip-hop, country, rock, etc will have on healing? Will you heal faster with Mozart or with The Back Street Boys?

“I recommend listening to joyful music as part of an overall prescription for maintaining good heart health,” said Dr. Michael Miller, director of the center for preventive cardiology at the University of Maryland Medical Center. Dr. Miller defines joyful as any music that brings on a natural high and maximizes the release of endorphins; the body’s own feel good chemicals. His research has shown that hearing your favorite song causes your blood vessels to dilate, hence increasing blood flow. He examined healthy volunteers as they listened to songs of their choice and discovered that the diameter of upper arm blood vessels increased by 26%. After listening to music which they hated however, these vessels narrowed by 6%. His research currently supports that any music the patient finds enjoyable will be healing regardless of genre.

Will Music Be A Prescription For Healing Brain Injury?
Some of this research involves deep brain stimulation while the patient is awake. “We’re in the infancy,” said Dr. Ali Rezai, director of the Center for Neurological Restoration at Ohio’s Cleveland Clinic. During a surgery called deep brain stimulation, performed while patients with Parkinson’s disease are awake, Rezai and his team play classical compositions and measure the brain’s response to those notes. “We know music can calm, influence creativity and can energize. That’s great. But music’s role in recovering from disease is being ever more appreciated.”

This research at Cleveland Clinic during brain surgery is showing exactly how music stimulates neurons. Neurosurgeons collaborated with The Cleveland Orchestra to compose unique classical pieces which are then played for patients during brain surgery. Rezai then compares how neurons fire hearing this never before heard music vs. how they fire when hearing familiar music. He uses hair sized sensors placed in the brain which then translate the signals from the neurons to an amplifier. The study should be completed in three to 6 months.

When patients tell Rezai they find the music soothing, he is able to hear the changes in a single neuron. He is hoping this research will serve as the cornerstone for other studies of music’s potential in treating traumatic brain injury, depression, stroke and multiple sclerosis.

Will Oldest Turn Out To Be Best?
The oldest healing music is possibly still the most potent. Frescos painted around 4,000 B.C. depict harp-playing priests. Because of the unique properties of the harp, live harpists are being used today at such places as Gagnon, at the University of Rochester Medical Center and at least five other hospitals.
“This gentle but powerful instrument goes to the deepest places of the body that need to be healed,” said Tami Briggs, a pioneer in “harp therapy” who has played at the bedsides of hundreds of patients, including many at the Mayo Clinic. Ms. Briggs, while not a medical professional, has observed blood pressure decreasing and oxygenation increasing while she plays and watches the monitors. She has also noticed subtle signs of relaxation such as the patient sinking deeper into the bed.

What makes the harp so unique is that it is the only instrument that has 20 to 50 strings and is completely open, unlike other stringed instruments such as a violin or guitar. When a harpist strikes a chord, not only are the notes of the chord vibrating, but the strings above and below those plucked also vibrate. These vibrations appear to be absorbed by the body.

Music and Children with Cancer
At Texas Children’s Cancer Center a unique program has been developed to help patients and their siblings cope with cancer and its treatment. Here the children work with Anita Kruse and other professionals to write and record their own songs. This project is called “Purple Songs Can Fly”. The children are able to make CDs which they can share with family and friends. The songs are also recorded onto purple CDs and taken on flights with participating pilots, passengers and astronauts and returned to the child signed and with a complete flight record. Yes, the Purple Songs have even gone into space! Purple Songs Can Fly symbolically lifts the child, flying and soaring, above the obstacles of their illness and provides a tangible symbol of the hope for healing.

Sources:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30990170/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 4#24391634
(Video of music and dance helping Parkinson’s patients)

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/archi ... 02915.aspx

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 5#29307845
(Video of Purple Songs)
http://www.purplesongscanfly.org/bio.html

About the author
Patty Donovan was in a wheelchair and could only walk around her house with a cane. She was on over 20 medications. When told to “take the morphine, get in the wheelchair and learn to live with it” by a neurosurgeon, she knew her life had to change. She is now almost a fanatic when it comes to healing through the use of “whole foods” and and natural remedies. Since that time, she has spent countless hours researching nutrtion and alternative health. After spending 30 years in the allopathic health care industry in both pharmacy and as an RN, she brings a unique perspective to Natural News readers. Since committing to this new life style, she no longer uses even a cane, has gotten off over 20 medications, lost over 50lbs and returned to work.
SUBY1974

Re: NICE ARTICLE ABOUT HOW MUSIC CAN HEAL AND ITS POWER.

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Jan 2013, 05:59

Just an observation, kind of related to the topic and the way music can affect us and others. I was at a party years ago, my friends' band was playing a party at the L.A. County fairgrounds on a summer night. The fairgrounds were pretty open back then, in the mid-70's, and I remember it was a really hot night so we went outside for fresh air. The horse stables were unlocked and I remember walking through one of those really long barns that are so big you can walk right down the center and there were stalls on both sides that went the length of the building, and each stall contained a Tennessee Walking Horse. There were dozens of them, beautiful sleek horses. As I walked in I could hear someone playing blues on a harmonica. There was a guy standing next to the half-door in front of one of the stalls- he was leaning against the door and wall, and playing the blues. The guy was pretty good too, but what was most fascinating was there was a beautiful black horse standing right next to the guy. This horse had his eyes closed and was resting his head against the guy's shoulder. I sort of nodded and waved a short "hi" to the guy and he stopped playing to nod back. As soon as the music stopped the horse opened his eyes, raised his head and stared at us, then he started pushing his big horse nose into the guy's face and hands until he started to play again. It was sweet and funny at the same time. I kept on walking as he started playing again. As I left I could see the horse go back to leaning against the man with his eyes closed.

So I must agree, music can soothe the savage beast.
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 10 Jan 2013, 19:16

Hi Roberta. Yes animals find music therapeutic. My cat loves music. It soothes them. I will post a few more articles soon which is slightly scientific ( I still love reading Science stuff as a Science graduate) and its pretty mindblowing. When I sent the info to Susie of Seafieldfoxes she was utterly gobsmacked. As a writer I have to do so much research but you do begin to see the world with new eeyes. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 10 Jan 2013, 19:20

Lovely story by the way. X
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Jan 2013, 18:36

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37 ... 43pm2.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/71 ... 10pm2.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21 ... 513pm.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84 ... 658pm.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22 ... 822pm.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/85 ... 853pm.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/83 ... 540pm.jpg/

I wanted to share some article on sound and music healing which I have posted here. Music is a very powerful force and Rory knew that. I hope he will be pleased by these articles. Cynamtics is the study of sound and its vibration and cells and atoms need to vibrate at the correct level. When music is applied this can happen and we all feel really good. Sound can also produce beautiful patterns on a CymaScope. Each is individualistic and I have also included patterns that the whales and dolphins make. I love these creatures more then my own life and its my dream to swim with them. I have seen dolphins in Inverness Scotland ( an incredible experience in my life) and I own whale and dolphin CDs. Music therapy is also being used for children in the hospice I support and its great that it is a subject in school. I never knew why i changed Music GCSE to Drama GCSE when I was at school. Odd that. Anyway I am studying music therapy as a tool in my motivational work. Just before my work colleague Cicely died ( I was very sad about that and Rory actually comforted me in a dream) she introduced me to African Drumming. I will talk more about that another time. Jimmy Hendrix daughter runs an organisation in drumming so I will discuss that at some point. Whats wonderful my college friend Claire Daltrey ( and yes her cousin is Roger Daltrey of THE WHO and I found out that much later in my friendship with her) told me Roger is into music therapy so it will be nice to know more about that at some point. She is good with the clarinet and so it is in her music genes. Her other cousin is Peter Daltrey of Kaliedescope.

Finally if anyone reads these articles finding about the Rosslyn Chapel was so awesome. I mean they found Cynmatic patterns in the medieval chapel and then found out what notes they were and actually made a medieval CD from it. Susie who lives in Scotland was totally gobsmacked by these articles and sent me a Rosslyn Chape guidebook. I need to see the church maybe this year.

Finally its interesting when I first posted the first music therapy article, cos later on in FB page a final interview from Dec 1994 appeared and in it again Rory was talking about the power of sound and music reaching the ear. I will post in a second. The same thing happened when I was reading about Diane Edgeby's work and an interview came up on the same day from 1991 where Rory discusses how music heals. I really do feel he wants me to explore this fully. Anyway enough from me. Subrata. x
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 27 Jan 2013, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Jan 2013, 18:53

Interesteing Rory interview from Dec 1994

http://www.roryon.com/famous221.htm

He talks about soundwaves and he wanted to write novel and plays. Ahh! Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Jan 2013, 19:27

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/54 ... 41pm2.jpg/

Another nice article about how singing the Blues can be good for you. Enjoy. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 24 May 2014, 23:03

I went to Rossalyn Chapel on the 17/05/2014 just outside Edinburgh Scotland. Here is a nice you tube video about Rossalyn Chapel and its Cymatics. Subrata. x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=588pfqtMtz0

I am learning about the Romantic writers and know that Wordsworth and his sister and Robert Burns visited this amazing place steeped in history and was in the Dan Browns Da Vinchi Code and was in the film with Tom Hanks as well. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Jul 2014, 21:40

The Miracle of 528 Hz Solfeggio & Fibonacci Numbers
THE MIND UNLEASHED
on 4 March, 2014 at 08:21

Solfeggio tones create music to calm an overactive mindand send us towards connecting with the divine.
According to Dr. Leonard Horowitz, 528 Hertz is a frequency that is central to the “musical mathematical matrix of creation.” More than any sound previously discovered, the “LOVE frequency” resonates at the heart of everything. It connects your heart, your spiritual essence, to the spiraling reality of heaven and earth.
The Love frequency is the “Miracle” note of theoriginal Solfeggio musical scale. Independently confirmed by researchers, these core creative frequencies were used by ancient priests and healers in advanced civilizations to manifest miracles and produce blessings.
Math scientist Victor Showell describes 528 as fundamental to the ancient Pi, Phi, and the Golden Mean evident throughout natural design. Vic Showell and John Stuart Reid (a pioneer in acoustic research and cymatic measurements) have proven that 528 is essential to the sacred geometry of circles and spirals consistent with DNA structuring and hydrosonic restructuring.
528 resolves to a 6, the icon for physical manifestation. That is, 5+2+8=15; and 1+5=6 (using Pythagorean math). The symbol “6” reflects the “spiraling down from heaven into the wholeness of earth.” In fact, the Love frequency can be fundamental to broadcasting all matter and energy into reality according to the laws of physics.
DEFINITION OF THE LOVE FREQUENCY
528 is known as the ‘Miracle’ tone which brings remarkable and extraordinary changes. Dr. Joseph Puleo analyzed the meaning of the tone using Latin dictionaries and hidden entries from Webster’s Dictionary. The “Mi” tone is characterized as:
1. an extraordinary occurrence that surpasses all known human powers or natural forces and is ascribed to a divine or supernatural cause, esp. to God.
2. a superb or surpassing example of something; wonder, marvel [1125-75]; ME <L Miraculum=Mira(Ri) to wonder at. fr(French): sighting, aiming to hold against the light. (gestorum: gesture; movements to express thought, emotion; any action, communication, etc. intended for effect.)
The 528Hz tone alone is associated with ‘DNA Repair‘
HOW IT CLEANED POLLUTED WATER IN THE GULF OF MEXICO
In 2010, John Hutchinson, an electromagnetic energy expert from Vancouver, B.C., Canada, helped purify poisoned water off the Gulf of Mexico following the BP oil spill. He and his research partner, Nancy Hutchinson (formerly Nancy Lazaryan), used the 528 Hz frequency and other Solfeggio tones to reduce the oil and grease in polluted waters.
The polluted area was treated with the frequencies for four hours the first day, and by the next morning, the waters were cleared. They also did four more hours of RF frequency to complete the test. The frequency device was situated about 25 feet up the beach from the water.
They restored the water’s vitality as manifested by the return of fish, dolphins and even barnacles. Nancy said that ‘the water that had been murky brown was a clear green. Two dolphins came into 5 feet of water to visit. Lots of schools of fish and crabs [were] very active’.
Their results were certified by Dr. Robert Naman, President of Analytical Chemical Testing Laboratory, Inc. of Mobile, Alabama. Dr. Naman, an analytical chemist with almost 30 years in the field, tested the samples and confirmed the complete removal of oil and grease from the after treatment sample source tested.

As you can see, the amount of oil and grease “before” the frequency treatment was 7 ppm (parts per million, or milligrams per liter); while the samples that had undergone the frequency exposure measured less than 1 ppm.
John’s method of using sound and radio frequencies nearly eliminates the oil and toxins completely, and has no known dangerous side effects. John and Nancy can clear a radius of about a mile in one 24-hour session.
Analytical Chemical Testing Laboratory, Inc. (ACT) stated, “While the technology is not completely understood by the undersigned, it is clear that the process may have extreme value, and it should be given a chance to be presented and tested on a large scale basis.”
WHO USES THE 528HZ FREQUENCY?
Llewelyn S. Lloyd, in the Journal of the Royal Society of Arts (16 Dec., 1949), described his innate drive to “tune-up” to a “brighter,” more soothing and inspiring frequency than A=440Hz. The British author and composer expressed his preference for precisely A=444Hz tuning, that manifests the C-5-pitch at 528 Hz. He wrote that this 4 Hz higher pitch is more generally pleasing for musicians worldwide.
Recent research by veteran piano tuner and custom piano designer Daniel Koehler demonstrated the beneficial acoustic and spiritual impact of prototype pianos that include granite bridges to best accommodate the higher tension of strings tuned to A=444Hz. Koehler reported most enthusiastically that the 528 Hz frequency resonates most powerfully and enduringly.
In 2011, multiple Grammy Award nominee Amerie produced her new album – Cymatika, Vol 1 – in 528Hz frequency to broadcast genetic healing. Another artist, Scott Huckabay, performs exclusively using the C=528/A=444 Hz tuning. Every day more and more people tune themselves to the harmonic vibrations of 528 music.
In 2009, thousands of people gathered together to participate in the Live H2O Concert for the Living Water. This movie was taken by one of the attendee of that wonderful event. People were playing and chanting in 528Hz, praying for all polluted water to be blessed worldwide.
The Concert for the Living Water was produced by Dr Leonard Horowitz and thousands of volunteers worldwide – there were no large commercial sponsors.
A RECIPE FOR THE PLANET
528Hz is the bioenergy of health and longevity. It is the harmonic vibration that lifts your heart and divine voice in harmony with heaven.
Can you imagine how beautiful the world would be with the Love vibration permeating the air? More and more people are awakening spiritually, mentally and emotionally and choose to be in tune with 528Hz. This healing frequency helps you flow in perfect rhythm and harmony.
Nearly our entire global economy is built upon a foundation of illness, sickness, and death. The powerful Sound of Love can end the problems on Earth today. I encourage you to use the 528 Hz frequency to restore human consciousness to its full power and potential.
For eons, human beings have felt that certain numbers, ratios, and shapes have sacred significance. For instance, the number ‘7’ has had great significance in various aspects of many cultures, geometric shapes have been associated with numbers, and the Fibonacci series and Golden Ratio are still instrumental in everything from Art to Music.
SACRED MEANINGS IN GEOMETRIC NUMBERS AND SHAPES

Symbolic and sacred meanings are also ascribed to certain geometric numbers, shapes, and geometric ratios or proportions. Through the ages, especially in the ancient world, some numbers had symbolic meaning attached, aside from their ordinary use for counting or calculating. In geometry, figures such as triangles, squares, polygons, hexagons, and so forth are all related to numbers. Triangles, for example, relate to three angles, squares to four, and so on.
As an example of attaching sacred meanings to geometric numbers, the number ‘seven’ occurs consistently in diverse cultures around the world. And more, the religious and mythologies of the world are filled with sevens. Consider some of these:
• The shape of the pyramids of Egypt produces the number seven by combining the three-sided triangle and four-sided square.
• In music, the seven musical notes in a scale repeat at the octave.
• There are seven terraces of purgatory in the Roman Catholic beliefs.
• The Christian Church recognizes the seven virtues and seven deadly sins.
• There were seven steps taken by Buddha at his birth.
• There are seven heavens and seven earths in Islamic tradition.
• There are seven worlds in the Hindu universe.
• The seven-branched Jewish menorah is the oldest symbol in Judaism.
The ancient Greek philosopher Pythagoras believed that integers represented fundamental meanings. He regarded seven as the “vehicle” of life. To him, the number seven signified the union of spirit and matter – the union of three (the triple nature of the spirit) combined with the four elements of matter (earth, air, fire, and water).
Seven was also associated with growth, whereby a phenomenon tends to be completed in seven stages, such as the “seven stages of man” expressed by Shakespeare in As You Like It, or the biblical Creation by God in seven days. According to some beliefs, the human body needs seven energy vortices known as chakras to be open for spiritual growth; that is, one has to move focus from the three lower (physical) chakras to the four higher (spiritual) centers.
How then is the Fibonacci sequence related to Sacred Geometry? The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers in which each number is the sum of the previous two. It starts with 0 and 1,which equals 1. Then 1 plus 2 equals 3, 2 plus 3 equals 5, and so on. Why are these numbers significant? Simply, they are nature’s numbering system and they give rise to the mystical Phi, what is referred to as the “golden section” or “golden ratio.” It should be noted that the ratio of successive pairs from the Fibonacci series tends toward Phi or 1.618 and out of this ratio comes the golden rectangle and the spiral shape, which is the most widespread shape in the universe.
The Fibonacci numbers are represented practically everywhere. In the petals on a flower, or the arrangement of leaves along a stem, you will find this sequence of numbers. The petals on most flowers display one of the Fibonacci numbers. The numbers also appear in certain parts of sea shell formations. Parts of the human body also reveal these ratios, including the five fingers, and a thumb on each hand. Fibonacci also can be seen in a piano that produces harmony through a beautiful music. A piano has one keyboard with five black keys (sharps and flats) arranged in groups of two and three, and eight white keys (whole tones) for the 13 chromatic musical octaves.
The Phi or 1.618 was described in the past as a divine number because it signifies beauty and harmony. Egyptian architects made use of Phi relationships in the construction of temples and the Great Pyramid, and so did the Greeks in their Parthenon in Athens, and the Europeans, for their Gothic cathedrals.
THE SACRED GEOMETRY
Simply described, the Sacred Geometry arises out of the set of numbers from the Fibonacci series or the “golden ratio.” Through the years since ancient times, it has been significantly used in the planning and construction of religious structures (churches, temples, mosques, tabernacles, altars and monuments), as well as sacred spaces (like holy wells and sacred groves), and the creation of religious art.
Consciously or not, humans seem to be genetically programmed to respond to these sacred numbers, ratios, and shapes. Thanks to Italian mathematician Leonardo Fibonacci for introducing his famous Fibonacci sequence, its associated mystical ratio, the Phi, and paving the way for the shapes that greatly defined the world’s magnificent structures and amazing wonders.
Fibonacci numbers, ratios and shapes have been used to explain creation, growth and harmony – from a number of petals on a flower and grandiose architecture, to a spiraling galaxy. And to music lovers, it’s one beautiful harmony of musical scale that pleases the ear and ultimately the spirit. A sacred geometry!
Sources:
Bradley, P. Great Mysteries. New Holland (2010).
Calter, P. Polygons, Tilings, & Sacred Geometry. Dartmouth. Accessed September 22, 2011.
Sacred Geometry. Spiraloflight. Accessed September 22, 2011.
REFERENCES:
Horowitz, Leonard, 1999, Healing Codes for the Biological Apocalypse, Tetrahedron Publishing Group | Allan, Sterling, 2010, Hutchison-Lazaryan frequency generator clears polluted Gulf waters, http://pesn.com | Horowitz, Leonard, 2011, The Book of 528, Tetrahedron Publishing Group
Credits: Attuned Vibrations & Decoded Science
The results of a study conducted with the use of Wim Hof method suggest that a person can learn to consciously control his immune responses.
Wim Hof is a Dutch world record holder who is famous worldwide for his ability to resist cold. For this incredible invulnerability to cold, he was commonly nicknamed “the Iceman”.
Scientists led by Matthijs Kox of the Radboud University Medical Center in Nijmegen, the Netherlands, studied his method, which is somehow similar to the TibetanTummo technique (yoga of inner heat) and involvesthird-eye meditation, breathing exercises and cold exposure, and used it to train 12 volunteers to fend off inflammation.
In the framework of the study, 24 volunteers, including 12 people trained in the Wim Hof method and 12 who did not undergo any training, were subjected to the inflammation test, during which they were injected with a strain of bacteria that provokes flu-like symptoms.
As a result, volunteers who underwent training with Hof method reported fewer and less intense flu-like symptoms than those who did not. At the same time, trained volunteers produced smaller amounts of proteins related to inflammation, and higher levels ofinterleukin-10, an inflammation-fighting protein.
“Hitherto, both the autonomic nervous system and innate immune system were regarded as systems that cannot be voluntarily influenced. The present study demonstrates that, through practicing techniques learned in a short-term training program, the sympathetic nervous system and immune system can indeed be voluntarily influenced,” writes the scientific journal PNAS, where the study was published.
“Orthodox neurobiologists and orthodox immunologists have been skeptical. They think the study of the interactions between the nervous and immune systems is a ‘field in the shadows’. This study is a nice way to show that link,” said Guiseppe Matarese, an immunologist of the University of Salerno in Italy who was not involved in the study.
Yet, it is not the only scientific study to show that the mind can control the immune system. In particular, Australian scientists came to the conclusion that consciousness is able to influence the intensity of the allergic reaction.
As a part of an experiment, several healthy volunteers had their arms injected with histamine, a substance that plays a major role in many allergic reactions. The experiment was structured so that they thought that the drug was injected in a rubber doll, while a real injection was made in their other arm.
After the experiment, the intensity of the allergic response on both arms of the volunteers was evaluated and compared to the one of the control group who had no rubber doll illusion. As a result, the researchers found that the volunteers who thought that the injection had been given to the doll manifested a much stronger effect of histamine on the arm that had been replaced by the fake one.
“Such a finding is particularly relevant to the immune system because a primary role of the immune system is to discriminate self from non-self,” said Prof Lorimer Moseley, who led the study. “These findings strengthen the argument that the brain exerts some kind of control over specific body parts according to how strongly we own them”.
Both studies show that the immune system can be influenced by the consciousness in many ways, which could mean that our thoughts, beliefs and mood can affect the physical state of our body. Knowing that, you can learn to control your thinking and thus your immune system and health.Focus on the bright side of life, visualize yourself being happy and healthy, meditate every day, and soon you will see positive changes not only in your health but in your whole life!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Anna LeMind is the owner and lead editor of the website Learning-mind.com, and a staff writer for The Mind Unleashed.
References:
SUBY1974

Next

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum