60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant

Postby innuendo » 08 Jun 2012, 12:13

from classic rock magazine:

Yes, we're feeling mighty patriotic today [03 June 2012] … It’s the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee – and we’ve got an extra day off work. Woo-hoo! To celebrate, we’ve compiled a list of 60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant. Wham, bam, take it away, Ma’am…

60 REASONS WHY BRITISH ROCK IS SO BRILLIANT

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/feat ... brilliant/

1. The Hammersmith Odeon – a true rock mecca. (And it’ll always be the Odeon to us.)

2. Jim Marshall (RIP). Without whom…

3. Mick Box saying, “’Appy days!” (And the fact that Uriah Heep named themselves after a Charles Dickens character.)

4. David Coverdale saying, “Here’s a song for ya!” (And, of course, the time-honoured Whitesnake choir.)

5. Kim McAuliffe saying, “Cheers you lot!”

6. Mud, mud, glorious mud.

7. The post-gig kebab. The most delicious thing ever… until the morning after, when for some reason you find yourself using leftover chili sauce as toothpaste.

8. The camaraderie. No other rock nation stands so tall, proud and united.

9. Birmingham, birthplace of all things heavy. Without which, we would never have heard…

10. …The awesome sound created by Tony Iommi’s plastic fingertips.

11. Saxon enjoying a nice cup of Rosie Lee. (Not to mention Biff’s ‘singing teeth’.)

12. Roger Daltrey’s fringed jacket.

13. Rick Wakeman’s cloak.

14. Pete Way’s stripey trousers.

15. The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal. (No NWOBHM, no Metallica.)

16. Jon Lord, the epitome of the British rock gentleman.

17. Prog. Could any other country have invented prog?

18. The Darkness. Could any other country have spawned a band like Justin Hawkins and co?

19. Queen. (No, not you, your Majesty.) See previous two entries.

20. Um… er… Sigue Sigue Sputnik? See previous three entries.

21. Applauding the roadie even though he’s been shouting, “One-two, one-two, one-two” for five hours.

22. Applauding drum solos.

23. By the way, no other nation does a mad drummer (Moon, Bonham, Scabies, Thunderstick, Les ‘Feathertouch’ Binks) quite like us.

24. Applauding Michael Schenker even though he’s just trashed his guitar, issued a barrage of swear-words and fallen off the stage.

25. Brian May’s windswept guitar solo on the roof of Buck House.


26. The fact that we don’t like to name our bands after cities or states like the pompous Yanks do (ie. Boston, Kansas, etc).

27. The fact that a band called Middlesex would be rubbish anyway.

28. Abbey Road, Battersea Power Station and other uniquely British rock’n’roll landmarks. (Yes, that includes Stonehenge.)

29. Judas Priest writing a song about the Loch Ness monster.

30. Judas Priest robbing a bank with guitars instead of guns to steal a gold disc… of their own bloody record! (See Breaking The Law video.)

31. Led Zeppelin, that most noisy and fearsome of bands, writing a song about a Welsh cottage. (Bron-Y-Aur.)

32. Ian Hunter, the best 73-year-old rocker on the planet..

33. Mums cheerily sewing band-logo patches on to fetid, beer-stained denim jackets.


34. Noddy Holder. Say no more.

35. Pub Rock. It couldn’t have come from LA.

36. Goths. They couldn’t have come from LA either.

37. Rolling Stones arrested for having a Jimmy Riddle.

38. Ozzy Osbourne arrested for having a Jimmy Riddle. On. The. Alamo.

39. Sheer indignation and effrontery about Axl Rose’s timekeeping.

40. Rod Stewart’s timbre.

41. Dan McCafferty’s timbre.

42. Frankie Poullain’s moustache.

43. Status Quo changing out of regular denims into stage denims.


44. Francis Rossi cutting off his ponytail. (The nation is still in mourning.)

45. Lemmy’s complete lack of diplomacy but grateful he’s an ambassador in LA.

46. John Lydon’s obtuseness (and enjoyment of Country Life butter).

47. Everything Jimmy Pursey has ever done.

48. Millionaire Bruce Dickinson’s patriotic flag-waving exploits during The Trooper.

49. Millionaire Bruce Dickinson using Network South East trains to get about.

50. Millionaire Bruce Dickinson wearing a duffel coat to the Classic Rock awards.

51. AC/DC. They’re Scots and a Geordie, m’kay?

52. The fact that Hard Rock Hell is held at a Pontins holiday camp that once provided the setting for an On The Buses movie.

53. The fact that an ex-EastEnders actor could end up fronting the Heavy Metal Kids, however briefly.

54. Taking American things, making them ‘better’, then selling them back to Americans like they were ours: Led Zeppelin songs, Jimi Hendrix, rock’n’roll…


55. Brian Connolly (RIP) saying, “Are you ready, Steve? [‘Uh-huh’] Andy? [‘Yeah’] Mick? [‘Okay’] Well alright fellas, let’s go-o-o-o-o-o-o-o…”

56. The fact that Sweet were not homosexual but womanising, drug-taking, hell-raising, macho alcoholics.

57. Ritchie Blackmore in stockings and suspenders.

58. The Posh Rock phenomenon (ie. Genesis), proving that good music doesn’t always have to come from the gutter.

59. Britain’s music press. No other country has anything like it.

60. The fact that we never quite understood Grand Funk Railroad.

61. Oh yeah, and a little band called The Beatles.


as you can see there is actually 61 reasons and i put in bold my favorites.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
User avatar
innuendo
 
Posts: 1864
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 01:25
Location: Kickback City

Re: 60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant

Postby Mandyl » 09 Jun 2012, 10:46

62. Rory Gallagher - checked shirt, sweaty, battered strat - 'thanks a million, hope you like this next one, this is called.....'
Mandyl
 
Posts: 100
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 13:45

Re: 60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant

Postby innuendo » 09 Jun 2012, 11:42

Mandyl wrote:62. Rory Gallagher - checked shirt, sweaty, battered strat - 'thanks a million, hope you like this next one, this is called.....'

rory should definitely be among those 60 reasons! i guess they went for more popular acts although if that was a criteria i'm surprised (but pleased) that saxon are on the list.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
User avatar
innuendo
 
Posts: 1864
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 01:25
Location: Kickback City

Re: 60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Jun 2012, 11:46

innuendo wrote:
Mandyl wrote:62. Rory Gallagher - checked shirt, sweaty, battered strat - 'thanks a million, hope you like this next one, this is called.....'

rory should definitely be among those 60 reasons! i guess they went for more popular acts although if that was a criteria i'm surprised (but pleased) that saxon are on the list.


No reason at all why Rory should be on that list.. As he is after all not British.. but a very proud IRISHMAN ;)

RORY GALLAGHER ~ THE 1ST IRISH ROCKSTAR :)
User avatar
Jay Jay
 
Posts: 4659
Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 16:03
Location: In Your Town

Re: 60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant

Postby mike6262 » 09 Jun 2012, 20:18

Jay Jay
As an American I find this list is.......................................totally fantastic!!! I love it, great list. Humorous but very very truthful. I have mostly preferred British musicians to their American counterparts. Don't get me wrong I love a lot of what my country has offered musically. But it seems the Brits bring much more to the table when it comes to rock, hard rock, metal, and blues. Great post!!
User avatar
mike6262
 
Posts: 307
Joined: 03 May 2011, 01:37
Location: Chattanooga, TN USA

Re: 60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant

Postby Ray-man » 23 Jun 2012, 04:00

I disagree with some of the comments like L.A. not having pub rock and selling American music back to us but made better. Why do you Brits disrespect us?
Ray-man
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 23 Aug 2011, 03:47

Re: 60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant

Postby innuendo » 23 Jun 2012, 21:55

Ray-man wrote:I disagree with some of the comments like L.A. not having pub rock and selling American music back to us but made better. Why do you Brits disrespect us?

don't take it to seriously, this list is a bit of fun. tongue in cheek like some of british music
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
User avatar
innuendo
 
Posts: 1864
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 01:25
Location: Kickback City

Re: 60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant

Postby RobertaSparrow » 30 Jul 2012, 11:55

Jay Jay wrote:
innuendo wrote:
Mandyl wrote:62. Rory Gallagher - checked shirt, sweaty, battered strat - 'thanks a million, hope you like this next one, this is called.....'

rory should definitely be among those 60 reasons! i guess they went for more popular acts although if that was a criteria i'm surprised (but pleased) that saxon are on the list.


No reason at all why Rory should be on that list.. As he is after all not British.. but a very proud IRISHMAN ;)

RORY GALLAGHER ~ THE 1ST IRISH ROCKSTAR :)



As an American with no English or Irish lineage at all, please pardon my ignorance, but is Irish a subset of British? Even though the two countries are side by side, and share a common heritage, is it proper to refer to someone from Ireland as being British? I thought as a rule of thumb everyone from the island on the left was Irish and everyone from the island on the right was British?

And as a citizen of the country that gave the world Robert Johnson, Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Muddy Waters, and Elvis Presley I can accept the rest of the list. :)
User avatar
RobertaSparrow
 
Posts: 3052
Joined: 04 May 2012, 23:13
Location: Oregon

Re: 60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant

Postby Ray-man » 28 Apr 2015, 10:17

This article HAS to have been written in jest. I like British music just fine but whoever wrote this music have a chip on their shoulders against Americans.
Ray-man
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 23 Aug 2011, 03:47

Re: 60 reasons why British rock is so brilliant

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Apr 2015, 11:02

Ray-man wrote:This article HAS to have been written in jest. I like British music just fine but whoever wrote this music have a chip on their shoulders against Americans.

:lol: half of the moderators are American ;) It's all lighthearted kidding between family. :mrgreen:
User avatar
RobertaSparrow
 
Posts: 3052
Joined: 04 May 2012, 23:13
Location: Oregon


Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests