Queen

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

Re: Queen

Postby SUBY1974 » 08 Mar 2015, 21:03

Queen and Adam Lambert Concert 24/02/1015

This is just a quick summary of the Queen and Adam Lambert concert we went to on the 24/02/2015

I have liked Queen since 1984 but never got the opportunity to see them except on TV. I was not allowed to go to concerts until my early 20s!! Anyway after Freddie Mercury passed, I always hoped that the remaining surviving Queen members would do a special show or reunion and perform Queen catalogue of songs.

Only Brian May and Roger Taylor did this with Paul Rodgers but I never got round to seeing them. I have seen Brian May twice, so when I heard Queen and Adam Lambert were touring I thought this was an opportunity I would not want to miss.

Adam Lambert is a American Pop Idol winner and he took part in the Queen Extravagazna show. He did an awesome audition of Somebody To Love and his voice is almost similar to Freddy’s. Well almost. During the concert it was amazing how Freddy and Adam’s voice blended. There was times I could not tell who was Freddy and who was Adam.

I did see in the New Year in with Queen and Adam Lambert on TV and I enjoyed it very much. So I was excited by the fact we were going to see them live.

The new Wembley National Stadium and the revamped Wembley Arena is very different to the one I remember. It is more of a corporate centre that is used for business purposes. The stadium itself looks like a giant spaceship.

We had dinner before the show and so missed the support acts if they were any. At about 7.45pm we made our way to our seats. We had an excellent view and the curtains were drawn with the Queen logo on them. It was an eerie blue colour.

Soon the band came on. The Q for Queen was used as a stage setting. Within the Q you could see the band members close up. The ending of the Q was like a pathway to the audience.

Adam Lambert reminds me of a young George Michael and he is a good performer. He knows how to keep a crown entertained. He was both funny and humorous. Obviously he is NOT Freddy Mercury but he sang all the songs well. I love the fact when he was doing Killer Queen they brought this couch out with gold trimming, onto the stage. Adam then sang the song with a lot of posh and pomp.

I loved Adam’s renditions of Somebody To Love. He asked the audience if anybody was in love. Only 10 days had passed since Valentine’s Day. Very few people put their hands up and Adam says, “Gosh this is depressing”. Adam covered most of the best hits of Queen like Another Bites The Dust, Bo Rap, Save Me, Radio Gaga and Crazy Thing Called Love.

I loved Adam costumes and he is a flamboyant performer.

Brian May also played some solo parts. As always I love the acoustic version of Love Of My Life that he plays on guitar. As we know Freddy and Brian would sing this together to calm the audience down in the past. However nowadays it is just Brian playing the song which makes it even more poignant. We sang along with Brian and almost near to the end of the song Freddy turned up on screen and finished the song. There was not a dry tear in the house.

I liked how Brian said that he was amazed that he was still here after 300years performing to us all and quite rightly so he said he wished to be here in another 300years to perform for us!

Brian and Roger grew up in the 60s revival of folklore song. They did a folklore song with their band called 39, about men going to space. It was thoroughly enjoyable. On the screen you can see astronauts from the 60s. Brian did ask the audience if we ever heard of Einstein Law of Relativity. Most of had and then he asked a very complex science question which left the audience struggling. Brian told us not to worry.

Brian did an incredible solo guitar piece in a gold costume at the end of the show. I think I first heard the song on Back To The Light in 1992 and to hear the Red Special was an absolute treasure. It really is an exceptional guitar with its own unique “Queen” sound we are so familiar with. It is incredible to think, the guitar was built from scratch from a fireplace. That is called dedication. I liked the costume Brian wore and it showed him in his full regalia.

Roger Taylor also did a solo piece and sang I Want To Break Free. He and his son Rufus Taylor drummed against each other in a solo drum piece. Rufus is a young version of Roger and is good looking. I believe his father taught him the drums. While father and son drummed against each other I was thinking is this friendly rivalry or real. You know never know! However Roger stopped playing and said “I lost my voice in Poland and Denmark.” This meant he gave up and let Rufus take the “trophy”. However for all of us Queen fans Roger will always be a legendary drummer. It was really good to hear Roger’s drumming and Brian playing guitar. It will be the closest to the Queen sound I will ever hear. Yes I was around in the 70s but was a “little munchkin”.

Brian also took a selfie of him and the audience with a selfie stick. It’s the first time I heard of a selfie stick. I think he rather loves it and likes to show it off. We spent a good few minutes with the selfie photo.

Adam also made the audience do a vocal warm up. Similar to what Freddie use to do. Men’s voices are a lot deeper then women’s as I learnt that night.

One of my greatest thrills was clapping to Radio Ga Ga. I never done that before at a Queen gig and at Wembley! Queen made rock history in Wembley in the mid 80s with Live Aid and there concert at the old Wembley Stadium in 1986. It was a dream come true and my brother was like looking at me and thinking “OMG”.

The show finally ended with everyone singing to Bohemian Rhapsody and Brian asked the audience if we liked Adam :- the new kid on the block. The audience stamped their feet and cheered. I think it’s a dream come true for Adam to play with legendary rock musicians.

After the concert we left on a high and the usher thanked us for coming. It’s incredible how much energy I have. Working all day; going to a rock concert and up again the next day for work. But it was so worth it and I was buzzing. I felt a bit sorry for my work colleague Rob who could not get a place in the “mush pit” to photograph the band. The places are in high demand obviously. Mind you I showed him my pictures the next day and told him about the gig. Rob photographs bands in his spare time.

I understand and respect the fact that John Deacon said that once Freddie died, Queen were no more. However the music lives on. Brian, Roger, Adam and the band are not Queen. They are just celebrating Freddy’s life and Queen’s history. They want Queen’s music to live on and reach new audiences of the future. I am not against that at all.

Anyway it was a terrific night for my brother and me. A memorable night I must confess. It was the best start to the New Year 2015 and the best birthday present ever. Long live Queen and long live Freddy Mercury. Well done guys. Subrata.xxxxxx

It was not for Queen I would probably never have been a fan of rock music in general and it would not have led me to Susie and discovering Rory’s music. No coincidence.
SUBY1974

Postby Madrid74 » 12 Apr 2015, 12:28

Just amazing !!!

ISOLATED VOCAL TRACKS FROM QUEEN AND DAVID BOWIE’S “UNDER PRESSURE” (1981)

Enjoy the sound and the story behind

http://www.culturainquieta.com/en/arte/musica/item/3148-isolated-vocal-tracks-from-queen-and-david-bowie-s-under-pressure-1981.html
Madrid74

Postby SUBY1974 » 16 Apr 2015, 23:15

Hi Madrid. Thanks for the article. I have the book Queen Is This The Real Life. Wow the capella version of Under Pressure is incredibly haunting. David and Freddie's voices are incredible, especially the blending of their voices and Freddie's high vocal range in the middle of the song. Really enjoyed the article. Thanks for posting. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Sinner Girl » 12 May 2015, 18:24

I was in London for week and it was great and and I'm so so happy that I visited Freddie's house at 1 logan place,west kensington. :D :D :D :D :D I go again in London in Octobar to see Hamlet and I'll be maybe a mount in London and by the way I'm going to visit Newcastle and will be located at the Eric Burdon relatives , last stop will be in Edinburgh

Last edited by Sinner Girl on 13 May 2015, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Sinner Girl » 13 May 2015, 00:52

Please someone help I'm looking for a DVD Queen Japanese Jewels I have no luck with net i try so many times register on queenzone but i never got approval , which is very strange ;)

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby SUBY1974 » 25 May 2015, 17:06

Hi Sinnergirl. Lovely photoes of Freddie's home. I wanted to visit in April, as I wanted to go to the London Bookfair in Earls Court. Never got round to it. May go in September now. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 25 May 2015, 17:08

They have really scrubbed off the tributes from the walls. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby heatison » 26 May 2015, 18:48

Hi Sinner Girl there is a DvD for sale on ebay
heatison

Postby Sinner Girl » 27 May 2015, 06:19

heatison wrote:Hi Sinner Girl there is a DvD for sale on ebay

Thanks I will check

PS: I decided to October visit Freddie's house again with young Queen fan who I met in tumblr and she is from Croatia too

Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby innuendo » 05 Sep 2015, 14:51

happy 69th birthday to one and only, the most charismatic and talented human ever-freddie mercury!

I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

PreviousNext

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum