Queen

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

Queen

Postby innuendo » 09 May 2010, 16:39

what do you guys think about queen? they are my fav band and brian may is my fav guitarist (rory is 2nd). i could write pages about them but i'm just curious what you people think
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Re: Queen

Postby groundhog » 09 May 2010, 17:14

Hi Innuendo,

Here was me thinking that was a picture of you and you looked like Brian May!now i get it :roll:

I never really was a Queen fan, of course i knew all the big hits,but they were never really one of my favourites.I actually
started liking them,when by chance i seen a live concert on TV when Paul Rogers started singing with them.The mixture
of Queen,Free and Bad Co. numbers with Pauls singing was amazing,got the CD permanently in my car.

Cheers...Kenny
groundhog

Postby jimmcc » 09 May 2010, 17:27

Live Aid did it for me I was never a Queen fan up until then.
jimmcc

Postby innuendo » 10 May 2010, 09:43

a lot of people know all their big hits and that's fine. the problem is that casual listener doesn't know the real queen masterpieces, really underrated gems like prophet's song, you and i, sleeping on the sidewalk (only bluesy queen song), it's late, liar... there's too many to mention really
innuendo

Postby innuendo » 10 May 2010, 11:51

i wanna say that there's no band like them. no other band has so successfully combined rock, hard rock, opera, classic rock (even rockabilly in crazy little thing called love), electro pop (radio ga ga), rnb/funk (another one bites the dust). they are the only band where every band member has written a number 1 single, that's also unique in music world. they're very well known for their spectacular shows and they really wanted to deliver a proper show even when that was considered uncool when punk came along. by that time a lot of bands were doing really bad popularity wise but not queen, punk couldn't hurt them. when punk era came they released news of the world album in '77 which was pretty bare and basic for them with not so many overdubbing and vocals. although through the years they constantly change and never repeat themselves you could always hear and tell that it's queen.
innuendo

Postby JJW » 10 May 2010, 22:02

Queen have never really 'done it' for me. But I loved Seven Seas of Rye and will never forget the night on the Whistle Test when 'Whispering' Bob introduced all us watchers to Bohemian Rhapsody. We just went 'WOW'. It was so innovative, and surely Queen were the band who suddenly made singles of more than 3 minutes acceptable - a major milestone. Brian May's a great guitarist. I also loved Brighton Rock, and Innuendo is IMHO an outstanding track.
Jacqui
JJW

Postby SimonBarr » 17 May 2010, 20:58

Well, Brian May milked Rory's sound considerably more commercially successfully than Rory, but fair play to Brian he was never behind the door about giving Rory the credit for his sound.

I enjoyed the 'glam rock' Queen, disliked the disco and the gaga stuff though. I'm very fond of the late Mick Ronson's guitar playing also.
SimonBarr

Location: Voe, Shetland Islands (originally Bangor, Northern Ireland)

Postby innuendo » 21 Sep 2010, 16:49

i really hate when some bands totally rip off something from another one and don't even admit it or pretend that they didn't do anything wrong. that being said i hate those guys from "band" (if you could call that a band) papa roach cos they totally ripped off album cover from queen's legendary 1979 live album called live killers.

judge for yourself

innuendo

Postby lonelymile » 22 Sep 2010, 22:19

innuendo wrote:they totally ripped off album cover from queen's legendary 1979 live album called live killers.

Hi Innuendo, yes that's pretty noticeable. I suppose they think it's acceptable because so many "musicians" nowadays sample riffs, etc. from another musician's hard work. Well we'll just grab someone else's design too.

Pretty sad world we live in sometimes!
lonelymile

Postby Fast Eddie Nelson » 23 Sep 2010, 12:25

There isn't much i can say about this...

I love Queen! Huge songs, wonderfully performed, highly original...

Brian is one of my favourite guitarists. I used to play Tie your mother down live with my band, wasn't very good i'm afraid, but it didn't matter because the song is so good people would immediately go crazy (and so would we).

Just to add that my father was not a rock fan at all, yet he stole my queen albums because he said that Freddie was a really amazing singer (and he was into Caruso and stuff like that).

P.S. Papa Roach's lack of ideas of their own is obvious in their music...
Fast Eddie Nelson

Next

Return to Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum