LED ZEPPELIN KASHMIR

Yes I'm a million miles away I'm a million miles away Sailing like a driftwood On a windy bay

LED ZEPPELIN KASHMIR

Postby SUBY1974 » 03 Jul 2011, 17:28

I just love this song by Led Zeppelin ( supergroup of the 70's) KASMIR. Enjoy! Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Re: LED ZEPPELIN KASHMIR

Postby Dwana Horner » 12 Feb 2012, 19:32

I've always loved this song..it's raw, sexy, gritty..hey it's Led Zepelin..
Dwana Horner

Postby tonetanner » 12 Feb 2012, 19:59

Great tune.
The guitar Mr Page uses (I believe) is a black & white 'danelectro' - not his Les Paul. At least that is what he used in '79 at Knebworth.
TT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Postby JimLED » 13 Feb 2012, 12:51

When I was at 11 .. this kind of music were not available in my region. I had listened BBC radio station for Russia region for getting some fresh breath of foreign music. Presenter was Seva Novgorodcev ( he's from ex. USSR ) and I had remember when he played Kasmir at the night... it made me so excited..I never heard such kind of heavy music before. Great song.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Feb 2012, 23:34

What an awesome rock band weren't day in the Seventies? I love Kashmir and its Indian influence. Here are some you tube clips as how Jimmy Page came up with the rifts. I was watching them as part of my guitar training. It includes Jimmy Page, Jack White and Edge from U2. Jimmy Page is an incredible guitar player!

w.youtube.com/wawwtch?v=ODidAgdL40Y

Led Zeppelin have for fantastic band members and Robert Plants' voice is the best in rock. I am reading a book called Led Zeppelin Heaven and Hell an illustrated history by Charles R. Cross and Erik Flannigan with photographs by Neal Preston. Fantastic pics in the book and I always say get the Greatest Hits by Led Zeppelin. Jon Bonham drumming on When the Levee Breaks is amazing. Also you can get the book Yardbirds by Sigwick and Jackson Ltd. Led Zeppelin evolved from the Yardbirds.

Absolutely incredible and Peter Grant their Manager wanted to manage Rory at one point didn't he? Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby Dwana Horner » 21 Apr 2012, 18:59

Pure Passion! Two people alone..some romantic interlude.. ;)
Dwana Horner

Postby Tokeiihto » 22 Apr 2012, 20:00

The 'Kashmir' riff, although bearing strong Middle Eastern influences, evolved out of Page's 'White Summer' routine, a musical piece mainly comprised of Zeppelin's 'Black Mountain Side' - a rather shameless rip-off of Bert Jansch's version of the traditional Irish folk song 'Down by Blackwaterside' - and the classic 'She Moves Through The Fair'*. In fact on some boots from early 1970 you can already hear (well, almost) the main theme of 'Kashmir'. It's not a coincidence that Page played 'White Summer' on the same instrument (Danelectro, spot-on,TT) and in the same tuning (DADGAD) as later Kashmir.

*the most famous rendition of that song was probably done by Anne Briggs. Rory covered it too at some point, if I'm not mistaken.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby tonetanner » 22 Apr 2012, 21:31

Great to hear your opinions again!
Although Led Zep (or just Page?) ripped off countless tunes (and their lawyers rarely paid due remunerance), I'm glad they did. Bert Jansch could have got on side 4 of Phys Graf, but not side 2.
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Postby asdesas » 22 Apr 2012, 22:11

tonetanner wrote:ripped off countless tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJUdnTKlP1E

Songs that make you go, 'hmmm....'
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Tokeiihto » 22 Apr 2012, 23:10

Thanks, TT.
I've been a bit busy lately, that's why I made myself scarce around here. I hope I'll find the time to post here more regularly in the coming days.

Page's acoustic playing in particular owes a huge debt to Bert Jansch. Many of Zep's folk tunes ('Going To California', 'That's The Way') were heavily inspired by him. Oh, and the intro to 'Bron-Y(r)-Aur-Stomp' is completely lifted from Jansch's 'The Waggoner's Lad'.

Yeah, the whole "stealin' from poor bluesmen" is well-documented. And although everybody borrowed in those days from both their musical predecessors as well as from contemporary artists, sometimes excessively so, Led Zeppelin always seems to bear the brunt these days when it comes to this topic. Probably has to do with the sheer amount of success and fame they achieved. And of course their polarising reputation.

But yes, there are several cases - and Jansch is obviously among them - where "Led Wallet" should have given credit where it's due, and paid royalties accordingly. It has to be said though, not every case in which Zeppelin allegedly lifted lyrics or musical ideas really amounts to outright thievery as certain people on the internet would have you believe. Some of these are just blown way out of proportion.

I'm split on the whole 'Taurus'/'Starway' thing. On the one hand you can clearly hear where Page got the idea for the melody from, on the other hand there are, at least in my opinion, enough differences to consider it a new arrangement. And if you compare the compositions as a whole the two songs have little to nothing in common. You are of course free to disagree, but I would consider this a case of "inspiration", even if it's pushing the boundaries of that definition. ;)

This actually can be a really interesting topic as long as no one of the people involved in such a discussing has a blatant agenda.

PS:
tonetanner wrote:Although Led Zep (or just Page?) ripped off countless tunes [...]

It depends, as far as lyrics were concerned, Plant is the guilty one. The most infamous example is 'Whole Lotta Love', for which's lyrics Plant borrowed by Willie Dixon's '(Woman) You Need Love'. Well, actually he emulated Steve Marriott (of whom Percy was a huge fan at the time) from the Small Faces, a band that had covered/ ripped off (uncredited) Dixon's song.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Next

Return to * Tasteful Topics ~ Not So Much Rory Related Forum