Country Great Merle Haggard

For Rest In Peace only

Country Great Merle Haggard

Postby capo » 06 Apr 2016, 19:29

Merle Haggard, the great Country singer, songwriter, and guitarist died today, on his birthday, age 79. While not a fan of todays Pop country, I loved the old great outlaws, like Cash, Jennings, Nelson and of course Haggard. I was lucky to see him live, 10 years ago tomorrow in fact, when he open up for Bob Dylan. I remember inbetween songs, he would remove his hat and bow to the crowds cheers. A class act. I'm sure Rory was a fan of his Bakersfield sound. RIP Merle.
capo

Re: Country Great Merle Haggard

Postby CiaSeattle » 07 Apr 2016, 02:30

More sad news in 2016. I've always been a fan of the old school country singers that you mentioned too, as well as the female vocalists like Patsy, Loretta and Kitty Wells. But I didn't get into the Hag until later in life. During my hippie days I sort of turned my nose up at him, I thought he was too right wing. I started listening again in later years and really began to appreciate his talent. The world has lost another legend.

CfZb1S3UEAE_Igk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CiaSeattle

Postby ailish78 » 07 Apr 2016, 08:08

R.I.P. Merle Haggard . He was good although as you say he was right-wing. From about the age of 11 I used to love Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell and Roy Orbison and was afraid to tell any of my friends in case they laughed at me for listening to my parent^s stuff, ha,ha,ha.
ailish78

Postby SUBY1974 » 21 Apr 2016, 20:54

RIP.x
SUBY1974

Return to R.I.P. Rest In Peace