Country Great Merle Haggard

For Rest In Peace only

Country Great Merle Haggard

Postby capo » 06 Apr 2016, 19:29

Merle Haggard, the great Country singer, songwriter, and guitarist died today, on his birthday, age 79. While not a fan of todays Pop country, I loved the old great outlaws, like Cash, Jennings, Nelson and of course Haggard. I was lucky to see him live, 10 years ago tomorrow in fact, when he open up for Bob Dylan. I remember inbetween songs, he would remove his hat and bow to the crowds cheers. A class act. I'm sure Rory was a fan of his Bakersfield sound. RIP Merle.

Re: Country Great Merle Haggard

Postby CiaSeattle » 07 Apr 2016, 02:30

More sad news in 2016. I've always been a fan of the old school country singers that you mentioned too, as well as the female vocalists like Patsy, Loretta and Kitty Wells. But I didn't get into the Hag until later in life. During my hippie days I sort of turned my nose up at him, I thought he was too right wing. I started listening again in later years and really began to appreciate his talent. The world has lost another legend.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby ailish78 » 07 Apr 2016, 08:08

R.I.P. Merle Haggard . He was good although as you say he was right-wing. From about the age of 11 I used to love Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell and Roy Orbison and was afraid to tell any of my friends in case they laughed at me for listening to my parent^s stuff, ha,ha,ha.

Postby SUBY1974 » 21 Apr 2016, 20:54

Return to R.I.P. Rest In Peace