Lynda Bellingham 31/05/1948 - 19/10/2014 RIP

For Rest In Peace only

Lynda Bellingham 31/05/1948 - 19/10/2014 RIP

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Oct 2014, 23:21

For those of you who live in the UK Lynda Bellingham was a famous actress and presenter of Loose Woman (a TV chat show for women that I watch when I am off work). She is best known for the Oxo TV adverts. I watched her through the 80s and 90s. Again she was another familiar face on TV while I was growing up. She was a lively and positive lady. She lost her fight against bowel cancer. She had stopped her chemo and she wanted one last Christmas with her family before she died. Atlas it was not to be. I watched the last couple of interviews she gave before she died. She was very brave but even though she terminally ill, there was this glow about her. I will read her book and she is right death is a taboo subject in the West. We do not like to discuss it. Maybe if we did we could understand this better? I hope I pass in my sleep. Cancer claimed two friends I knew and my school friend at 34 developed breast cancer which left me devastated. She is in remission now thank god. It is a hateful disease. I believe the cure can be found in the rainforests that we chop down. My condolences to her husband, two sons and family, friend a and fans. She wanted to be remembered as an actress and a happy and honest person. We certainly will. I will miss her on tele. She did not want to be remembered for the Oxo ads but she was the nations TV mum. X RIP Lynda Bellingham.
SUBY1974

Re: Lynda Bellingham 31/05/1948 - 19/10/2014 RIP

Postby maybeiwill » 27 Oct 2014, 21:35

As a non-UK person, I also remember Lynda Bellingham as the actress who replaced Carol Drinkwater in the old "All Creatures Great and Small" series. She played James Herriot's wife on the show. I know that I saw her on other shows that aired over here on our Public Broadcasting stations. A very fine actress who will be missed.
You are quite right about how devastating cancer can be - I lost both parents to it and it's really a tough thing to watch the people you love waste away. My mother had pancreatic cancer and went from 154 lbs. down to about 72 lbs. when she died. I still can't listen to Bruce Springsteen's "Philadelphia" because, although it is about someone dying of AIDS, it still reminds me of her.

P.S. Now for a more upbeat aside, I have a photo of myself somewhere that was taken with Christopher Timothy (who played James Herriot) and my friend/co-worker Colin, who met Chris when he (Colin) was visiting home in the UK. Colin owned an "All Things British" shop and convinced Chris to come over and help him launch his business.
maybeiwill

Postby maybeiwill » 28 Oct 2014, 22:02

I just remembered that Lynda Bellingham also appeared on U.S. T.V. on the older version of Dr. Who as one of the Timelords. I knew I'd seen her more than once!
maybeiwill

Postby SUBY1974 » 29 Oct 2014, 14:45

Hi Maybeiwill, Its nice you met Christopher Timothy. He is a good actor. Yes Lynda Bellingham was on Doctor Who. I am sorry to hear of your loved ones who died of this wretched disease. More people are living longer now. My schoolfriend has aggressive breast cancer she fought bravely. I visited her at Charing Cross Hospital and she had lost a lot of weight. She is in remission and is OK now. I had to be strong and positive for her. I am in touch with many of my student friends and we are at an age where we have to watch our health. Its not easy to see my friends and family ill. I guess that's why I champion healthy lifestyle so much. My work friend Cecilia died of throat cancer and we did a meditation with her and before she died she said that the meditation had help give her some peace. I have found that stress can cause cancer directly or indirectly. Stress a and unhappiness. Cecily smoked a lot because of unhappiness in her life and my schoolfriend had enormous family stress with her marriage. Another friend lost her sister and she had been in a stressful relationship. A lot of my motivational work is about reducing stress and leading happier lifestyles. However there are other factors that cause cancer and illnesses. There is not just one reason alone. Cecily introduced me to African drumming and I want to do classes in that in a he future in her memory. I believe music heals. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 29 Oct 2014, 14:52

I plan to run laughter classes at therapy units next year. I work for the jobcentres so I work with people all the time. I believe in the power of laughter and humour. Laughter is free and the body can't deduce between fake laughter and real. Laughter has many benefits. It reduces stress and blood pressure and reduces illnesses. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby maybeiwill » 29 Oct 2014, 18:37

The laughter classes sound wonderful! I have always been considered by many to be a bit of a nut, so I tend to make others around me laugh. When I was working at a science center, the science demonstrations I did would always be laced with geekish humor, as were the classes and summer camps that I taught. You know the old saying - "Laughter is the best medicine." :lol: :lol: :lol:
maybeiwill

Postby SUBY1974 » 04 Nov 2014, 00:11

http://www.laughteryoga.org/english Hi Maybeiwill. This is a link about laughter therapy. It was founded by Dr Kataria n 1995 in India. They say if you laugh 10 minutes a day it could prevent cancer. This link has a lot info. I love comedy and in the UK I enjoy Miranda, Mrs Brown Boys and a host of other stand up comedians. Laughter is the best medicines. Folk ask me how I cope working in the jobcentres. We see so much hard stuff going on. The answer is humour. My colleagues and I laugh in our breaktimes. In the East employees to laughter classes before they go into work. Its starts the day on a high. I recommend a book called An Anatomy of an Illness by Norman Cousins. He actually used laughter to extend his life after getting a diagnosis for a terminal illness. Also at present my work colleagues are begging me to run meditation classes at work to reduce their stress. I thought only 6 would sign up. No over half the building want it. The modern world is stressful. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 04 Nov 2014, 00:13

Lynda Bellingham's funeral was today. Sad but it seemed like the funeral was well done. They had fireworks at the graveside! RIP Lynda. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby heatison » 13 Nov 2014, 15:05

one of the Oxo adverts featuring Lynda is to be aired on Christmas day. How nice to remember her like this.
heatison

Return to R.I.P. Rest In Peace