For a casual player, which effects for a generic Rory sound?

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

For a casual player, which effects for a generic Rory sound?

Postby folkdeejay » 10 Sep 2014, 13:32

Aside from an AC30 and rangemaster, or some vintage Fender amps and a mortgage, any suggestions for a few pedals to get the main Rory sounds. Maybe even one of the combined FX multipedls, like ROry used in the 80's

From the Taste/early 70's clean and loud, overdriven tube sound through to the Jinx/Defender era fuzzier tones.

Intending to get some pedals that will play via the clean channel on a Fender CHamp 25SE ( decent SS/tube hybrid) and looking to get a few key effects to get the key tones - so studio clean like Crest of a Wave, via 74 era Million Miles away, through Stagestruck Moonchild/Wayward Child and also the Bad Penny/Kickback City studio distortion.

I have a coupl of decent strats - a good mid 90's Squire and a UK build RG custom.

Five or six key tones that can be used to get through 90% of the Rory catalogue.

Any thoughts ??

Will probably hit ebay for these, as not in a rush and not wanting to spend £££'s.
folkdeejay

Re: For a casual player, which effects for a generic Rory so

Postby signals » 10 Sep 2014, 15:51

His 90's pedal setup was pictured in Guitar World in 2011
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signals

Postby folkdeejay » 11 Sep 2014, 10:17

Great - not seen that before - very useful.

I understand he used a Boss ME5 at some point, but not seen one for sale recently.
folkdeejay

Postby Tom Jonas » 11 Sep 2014, 18:17

Very interesting!
This explains the amazing variation in sound that Rory could have in the same song. I have realised that he used pedals, but he also chose between mics and used the volume and base/discant knobs, and the setting af the amps. And he used perhaps two or three different amps at the same time (however that is possible?).
I have never heard this great variation in sound from other guitarists (but I'm not an expert and only listen to the best of them). And as I've said before, Rory was unique because it often sounds as if two or three guitars were playing at the same time, probably because he used several fingers of the right hand

It would be very interesting to get an audiovisual demonstration of how the sound changed with each pedal. Perhaps it's on Youtube somewhere.
Tom Jonas

Postby thesjkexperience » 30 Dec 2014, 10:01

I use a bjfe Emerald Green Distortion Machine into a Bearfoot Sparkling Yellow Overdrive V2. You can even hit these with a germanium booster or Maritime "Pistol Slapper". You can get the Bearfoot version of the Emerald Green, though it doesn't sound exactly like the bjfe, you can find used EGDMs and SYOD v2s for $145 each.

Note: I have no affiliation with bjfe or Bearfoot FX (I have tried loads of pedals and I feel these are the most amp like pedals both in feel and sound available).
thesjkexperience

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk