My latest guitar build, the Rory relic strat

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

My latest guitar build, the Rory relic strat

Postby rorystrat » 22 Aug 2014, 15:00

Well, after many hours of hard work, here's my latest finished guitar. A heavily Rory inspired relic Strat. It plays absolutely fantastic, despite using the same neck profiles for all my builds this one for some reason seems to be a little more faster. It's got a nice action and bending is really smooth with the medium jumbo frets. Sounds amazingly vintage too. Decided to go with a 5 way switch to add more tonal options rather than stick with the 3way switch like the original. I'll be uploading a vid on youtube shortly with soundclips of this guitar. In the meantime, what do you think Rory fans!

Dennis

http://www.dyguitars.yolasite.com

http://www.facebook.com/dy.guitars

here are the pics of the Rory strat:

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/dyguita ... t=3&page=1
rorystrat

Re: My latest guitar build, the Rory relic strat

Postby fenderbass » 29 Aug 2014, 22:12

Nice work. Rory strat looks excellent as does your other builds.
fenderbass

Postby heatison » 30 Aug 2014, 09:05

Looks great
heatison

Postby rorystrat » 30 Aug 2014, 14:26

Thanks guys! Glad you like the work :-)

Den
rorystrat

Postby ILY » 08 Sep 2014, 18:29

Great work!Looks fine!
ILY

Postby thesjkexperience » 01 Jan 2015, 04:58

Very well done! I am considering both a Rory tribute Strat and Keef's famous Mcawber Tele for 2015.

May I ask if you used a masking material before spraying? Did you oil/stain the wood before or after spraying? I was thinking of getting some "roasted wood" for the body and neck so it has the old look and aged tone from the start. I already wound the pickups for it and sound great through my tweed bandmaster in a different Strat I made. Now it comes down to sourcing torrified alder, so if anyone knows who sells it please pass their name along! I know Musikraft sells ready made items, but the up charge is steep!

I also need to build some relicing techniques to get the remaining paint to look correct. The few photos I have of The Strat show loads of scratches across the wood which would be expected after seeing Rory pull The Strat across the stage by the cord! I was thinking of using an earlier version as the template such as the IT '74 or Against the Grain album cover since I discovered Rory through the latter LP thinking anybody who played that hard must be great. He was!
thesjkexperience

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk