Is this cashing in ?

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Is this cashing in ?

Postby vasdis » 06 May 2014, 23:01

Last edited by vasdis on 07 May 2014, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
vasdis

Re: Is this cashing in ?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 07 May 2014, 03:41

Hmmmm, let me think . . . . . YES.

And I have a better photo of The Strat in my room, where it is leaning against Rory's bookcase, surrounded by Rory's things.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Madrid74 » 08 May 2014, 07:21

RobertaSparrow wrote:

Hmmmm, let me think . . . . . YES.

And I have a better photo of The Strat in my room, where it is leaning against Rory's bookcase, surrounded by Rory's things.

Lithography + 2 two tickets + meet & greet $599 Expect the tickets include the full Vip treatment :mrgreen:

And yes Mr Bonamassa is cashing in, without any doubt
Madrid74

Postby capo » 09 May 2014, 16:58

More than just cashing in, he's using this visual to announce to the world that he is Rory's rightful successor and the torch, as it were, has been passed to him, with the blessings of the Gallagher family. While Donal's heart was in the right place, Joe is abusing the honor afforded him and exploiting it for personal gain. The Strat should be forever silenced, like , sadly, its one and only true owner. Peace.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 May 2014, 12:50

I agree, it appears that Joe B. is taking advantage of this special privilege granted him by Rory's brother. Rory's Strat was in a very real way part of Rory's voice, it sang through him. We, all of us who post and participate in this forum remember him, and miss him. Donal more than any of us. To hear the Strat sing again, we can almost believe we're hearing a bit of Rory once more, and I suppose that's true. So Donal allows it to be played, after so many years, for the memory of his beloved brother, to hear his voice again.

And seeing that photo just irritates me for some reason that I can't quite name, because that is Rory's guitar. Joe had a moment to borrow it, and IMO now he is, as Vasdis said, "cashing in" and taking advantage of a special moment granted him by the Gallaghers. Maybe that's unfair of me. But something about that photo is off-putting. Maybe it's nothing more than, it should be Rory in that photo, holding his guitar, the one he bought when he was still a schoolboy, the one that grew old alongside him.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 10 May 2014, 13:17

RobertaSparrow wrote:Maybe that's unfair of me. But something about that photo is off-putting. Maybe it's nothing more than, it should be Rory in that photo, holding his guitar, the one he bought when he was still a schoolboy, the one that grew old alongside him.

Hi Cynthia,

I do get your feelings on this one. As you and I think alike I know deeply, about our devotion for Rory and what this does for his legacy.
Try to look at how I'm looking at that photo now. I just see the "colorful strat" of which Rory painted /composed & played thousands of colorful tunes with it. The rest of the photo is just a black & white blur ;)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby folkdeejay » 10 May 2014, 15:33

capo wrote:More than just cashing in, he's using this visual to announce to the world that he is Rory's rightful successor and the torch, as it were, has been passed to him, with the blessings of the Gallagher family. While Donal's heart was in the right place, Joe is abusing the honor afforded him and exploiting it for personal gain. The Strat should be forever silenced, like , sadly, its one and only true owner. Peace.

"Joe is abusing the honor afforded him and exploiting it for personal gain."

I'm not sure.

Artists like JB sell these VIP meet and greet packages - its just the way it is (falling CD/LP sales) as touring is a main income stream. Even Peter Gabriel sells VIP meets & greets, and you can sit on stage at the soundcheck...

I suspect a JB meet and greet package, inc tickets, isn't much cheaper than the price he (or his 'people') are selling this package for - if the signed pic is more than £50 of the package, I would be surprised - so in this respect, I am not sure if he is cashing in any more than these packages are anyway....

In which case, all his fan base ( probably more people than visit this site in a couple of years) just got a mail shot that will just add to the rep/legend of Rory Gallagher, and maybe prompt a few to wonder about why JB seems so proud to be seen with that old strat ( its not like he is short of guitars) leading to a few clicks, a google search a whole new world of musical joy.

So maybe not that bad to honour Rory in this way, once you accept these deals are sold all the time anyway.
folkdeejay

Postby Frank49 » 27 Jun 2014, 03:42

I just joined this site, but have been a Rory fan since he was in Taste and have all of his records. I also have all of Joe Bonamassa's records. My take on seeing the vids of him playing Rory's guitar was this: Joe, do you really need to do that? For one thing, Joe is going sell CDs and book good gigs (for a blues-rock guy who is a marginal singer) really well any way, without tying it in to an immortal's rig that by now is basically a sacred relic to a lot of fans. I think he might have been thinking it was going to let some people know about Rory-but fact is, the people who like Bonamassa are likely knowledgeable blues hounds who knew about Rory before shredder Joe ever sold a song. I felt a lot of the same things when Gary Moore (have all of his blues ones) started putting out blues-rock CDs with Peter Green's Les Paul in his hands on the artwork. Sure, he called the music a tribute, but it was commercial gain from another man's reputation, IMHO both Moore, when he was around, and Joe should be good enough to carry their own water without doing it on these priceless artifacts.
Frank49

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk