Rory's guitar sound 1973-ish

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Rory's guitar sound 1973-ish

Postby Andersen28 » 05 May 2014, 21:49

Hi fellow guitar players!

I'm a guitar student at the Academy of music in Aalborg, Denmark, and at the moment I'm doing an assignment in Music History on Rory Gallagher (of course) :D
I'm supposed to analyze a few songs and one out of 4 is Walk on Hot Coals. But compaired to lets say, What's Going On that I've also done, his guitar sound in Walk on Hot Coals is quite "thin". It's certainly overdriven, but not near as much as most of the Taste stuff or his late 70's stuff. I'm wondering if it's the change from his Vox AC30 to the Fender Bassman? What do you guys think?

His sound was also rather "thin" on the Tattoo album and it's actually quite a mystery to me why his sound was so different on those two albums. The albums are great but why did he go from overdriven to this almost clean sound?

Best Regards :)
Andersen28

Re: Rory's guitar sound 1973-ish

Postby JimLED » 05 May 2014, 23:04

Hi Andersen28!

I think he got a lot of amps for doing his sound researches. And from year to year he tried to invent or find something new for next recordings. Just imho. That''s Rory we're all know! :)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Leedelta » 09 May 2014, 15:45

There is a chance he switched to a tele for this tune.

Another factor is the years between the songs and recording studios etc. It is like comparing photographs in different time periods.

Another question..since you are in Aalborg, have you seen Uffe Steen playing?
Leedelta

Postby paddywarde » 05 Mar 2015, 13:38

Oh my god I love these discussions I could talk about them all day. So rory used the AC30 up until 1972 with a Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster, to balance the frequencies as when the AC30 was cranked the bass and treble got very messy so the treble booster cleaned it up. When the drummer Wilagar Campbell left the band he got Rod De'Ath and Lou Martin also joined on Keyboard. He started using a 1954 Fender Twin Amp (very rare) to balance the sound as the band was now a four-piece. As far as I know he used this amp on Blueprint, Tattoo and Irish Tour. Now this is before he started using the Bassman! As far as I know he was using the Treble Booster for a short time, but it didn't work well with the Fender Twin so he started using a Hawk Booster Tonal Expander which was a clean mid booster. I have a feeling though he didn't use that until he started using the Bassman, but I'm not sure. The Fender Twin was a very clean amp and had to be cranked nearly full up to get an overdriven tone, it was also a lot brighter as he was using the treble booster along with the high-toned fender. This is why it has a different sound and I think the thin sound is due to the treble booster which booster the higher frequencies on the amp. He started using a Fender Bassman along with Vox AC30 or the twin as he used change his rig every few months. He cranked the Bassman which had a more distorted tone along with the Hawk Booster later on around the 76/77 period he began using a Fender Concert Amp along with the Fender Bassman which had an even heavier tone. Roughly around 78/79 he began using Marshall JMP 50 when ted McKenna became the new drummer and the band was changed back to a three piece. He had three Marshall JMP combos and one JMP 50 watt half stacks. From the eighties to the nineties he changed his rig every once and a while, he frequently used the Marshall with the Vox ac30 and also began using the Bassman with the Marshall and continued chopping and changing until he died. He also used Ampeg amps in the late 70s for a short while.
paddywarde

Postby eno » 23 Mar 2015, 23:24

Good rig rundown there Paddy. I read he used the Dano DC3 guitar for Tattoo, I'd always wondered about the sound on that album until I got a Dano.
"aint no use to change the way I am"
eno

Postby paddywarde » 27 Mar 2015, 23:30

eno wrote:Good rig rundown there Paddy. I read he used the Dano DC3 guitar for Tattoo, I'd always wondered about the sound on that album until I got a Dano.

Cheers thnx :), he used the dano dc3 for cradle rock as well nice guitar :)
paddywarde

Postby eno » 02 Apr 2015, 02:05

I agree with your thoughts on the Twin, I had a 57 era built 5E8-A. With the Flynn boost you get the 'live in madrid' sound.
"aint no use to change the way I am"
eno

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk