total rewire

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

total rewire

Postby leprechaun1 » 05 Mar 2014, 23:07

i just received my new dimarzio fs-1 pickup. i was a bit reluctant to get one but now that i have it i couldn't be happier. i changed all the wiring in my "faux Rory strat" to fabric coated 7 conductor wire and all 3 pots to new ones( side note, i selected the values that would compliment each other such as a 280k for volume because it would be louder, a 254k for the neck tone and a 247k for the middle pup tone. i did not use one tone for the guitar). i have normal strat wiring. i added a new 5 way switch and kept my 57/62 pus the same. i also changed my ceramic cap to an orange drop .068uf cap. i literally could cry because it sounds so much like Rory's tone from the late 70's early 80's. i love it. everyone should have an fs-1 pup in the bridge of thier favorite strat, in my opinion. in no way am i affiliated with any guitar pup manufacturer or guitar company. i just love Rory's sound. watch the '77 montreux video. that's the sound (just with an ac30 on my end).
leprechaun1

Re: total rewire

Postby JimLED » 06 Mar 2014, 00:46

hi leprechaun!

Congrats! Fs-1 is really great. Unfortunately, I still not had a chance to plug my new RG guitar to the tube amp. I use Laney LX20R for home - such a simple transistor combo for easy playing. it's sound pretty brightly.
Also I have a celestion green 12'' in cabinet. I made this cabinet a couple years ago, and I tried to plug it onto my Laney LX20R instead default speaker...It doest'h have a great power to drive the big and loud 12'' Green Celestion.
But I plugged my guitar to the marshal head at rehearsal. The second guitarist with the cheap gipson black didn't like my new sound, becouse his guitar started sounding like a sh** ))

Wish to by the AC30 someday.

jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Re: total rewire

Postby leprechaun1 » 07 Mar 2014, 01:38

hello jim , i'm in love with the fs-1 bridge pup, i can't beieve i have waited so long to get one. i think i was afraid it would be too distorted, at 12k ohms that seems to be a bit much but i was wrong. it is just right. i love Rory's sound from '77 and '79. although he had his strat wired american style in '79( bridge and middle on the same tone and neck on it's own tone). i like to be able to get those Taste sounds as well. as for my choice of tone caps i did a lot of research on this and the caps from 50's and 60's let some extra treble through and i feel that the modern .068uf cap is more like the .1uf cap from then. i tend to roll my tone down some to get Rory's taste sounds( think "catfish"). maybe even if i had a .082uf cap that would be even more like them. maybe i'm being too picky, but my ears CAN tell the difference( most people tend to disagree, but most people are tone deaf).keep rock n for Rory! jim, just keep working toward that ac30 and if you rally like Rory's more modern sound a fender bassman ri will do nicely( you can get a used one for what an ac30 costs maybe less). even a fender blues deluxe ri can get you into bassman territory. those lany amps are cool. richie sambora swore by them(no insult intended richie had one of my favorite guitar tones. eventhough i didn't like bon jovi. richie is one of the good ones).
leprechaun1

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk