Guitarplaying

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Guitarplaying

Postby Tom Jonas » 08 Feb 2014, 11:56

At last an old dream was fulfilled. I bought a Stratocaster (Mexican, which is considered being good enough, as I have understood). I am not a novice in guitarplaying, lots of lots of years ago I played acoustic guitar.
But I got confused, all the books and all the riffs presented on Youtube, so I decided to start from scratch and take lessons. Very good and useful so far, it gives a good ground to stand on. To really play scales and shifting rapidly between ackords with a clean sound!

One day I will start with one of Rory's songs. No ambition to achive what he did, half of it would be good.
My question is - which of his wonderful melodies would be the easiest to start with? Any recommendations from out there??
Tom Jonas

Re: Guitarplaying

Postby Stevo » 08 Feb 2014, 20:40

What about starting with Tattoo'd Lady?
The verse is easy enough to play. Em - C - D - Em
All open (1st position) chords with a 4 count on each chord, so no fast changes.

Or for riffs, try I Take What I Want.

Rory left us so much material, and I can't recommend the tab books highly enough.
Stevo

Postby Tom Jonas » 08 Feb 2014, 21:56

Tatoo'd Lady is one of my absolute favourites. The lyrics has a plot good enough for a novel, or to make a TV-film
There is a instructional-DVD with Michael Casswell where this song is included. Perhaps there are better stuff on Youtube.
I've got some books with Rory tabs.
I'll struggle on. Playing a lot of acoustic guitar hundred years ago was not enough, so I'm taking lessons. And my barre ackords with rapid Changes and scales has improved after a couple of days of intensive practicing.
But is there i blister coming on the little finger?
Tom Jonas

Postby Mike1970 » 07 Mar 2014, 23:13

Assuming you are just starting with the chords?
If so, there are some nice ones that you can use mostly open chords, for example Bad Penny, I'm Not Awake Yet (capo 3rd fret), Daughter of the Everglades, and Wheels Within Wheels (has a few more voicings but so pretty, capo 1st fret).
So many great songs and riffs to learn, but at the heart of almost all Rory's music are great melodies and progressions, so you can almost always strum along.
Mike1970

Postby IrishBlues » 15 Mar 2014, 21:50

Try Secret Agent(for slide and a good riff) or I take what I want.
IrishBlues

Postby Taste_Fan » 09 Jul 2014, 18:28

I recommend you purchase some of the Hal Leonard books of Rory's tab
I love to play Just the Smile, Cuckoo and I'm not Awake Yet on acoustic
I also love to play Could've had Religion on my Tele; if you're into slide this is a joy to play. Also Leaving Blues (from Taste era)
Currently trying to learn A Million miles Away on strat
There will always be some song you like that you won't find tabs for!
Taste_Fan

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk