use your ears

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

use your ears

Postby leprechaun1 » 26 Jan 2014, 23:26

.....i was told that a long time ago when i stared playing guitar. well, here's the thing , listening to Rory in his days with Taste i was listening and heard some differences in how and with what he recorded. i don't believe the way we have been told, that Rory used a rangemaster to record all the songs especially "On the boards". not so much is the case with the first Taste album, which i believe he used a rangemaster more on the record. the whole reason is i made my own rangemaster and run it through a vox ac30c2 and i can nail all his live taste stuff with it and have to turn it off when i want to get a recorded sound. try listening and comparing the live stuff you can find on youtube with the same songs that are studio recorded. to simply make a long story short Rory knew how to get some super great tones even back in the late 60's with what was avalible. what do you guys think.
leprechaun1

Re: use your ears

Postby JimLED » 27 Jan 2014, 00:01

hi leprechaun!
I'm always has a thoughts that Rory didn't use most of his gear at records. I think he was a one who protect his sound. Probably some chains in gear that he publicity told in articles or somewhere else wasn't the same. I'm not sure. Something we still don't know. But he absolutely the master of things he did with the sound.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby leprechaun1 » 27 Jan 2014, 23:38

agreed, you can hear the darker sounds of an ac30/6 that Rory used, without the rangemaster's treble boosting effects on the album "on the boards" but he used it for several songs on the Taste album for sure (maybe all of them). "catfish" has got to be the best tone from a strat ever recorded and "blister on the moon" will cut you in two. if i turn off my rangemaster and play "morning sun" i can nail that sound. he definately used it less on "on the boards".
leprechaun1

Postby JimLED » 28 Jan 2014, 01:30

There's we can see his actual gear, i think.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby leprechaun1 » 28 Jan 2014, 22:54

yeh, when he played live he used the rangemaster, even on this t.v. program. that was a normal part of his gear albeit he only had 3 items he used back then; strat, ac30/6 and rangemaster. he did use some delay on recordings though. my biggest problem is i can never get the drive just right from my rangemaster clone. Rory's equipment was the real deal, mine are modern and homemade(ac30c2 and as close to the original rangemaster as possible). Rory had the ac30/6 which had all the old school guts(tube rectifier too)and ALL rangemasters acted differently.
leprechaun1

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk