My NEW plate for the strat.

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

You color pf plate is:

Black
17%
Green
50%
White
33%

Total votes : 6

My NEW plate for the strat.

Postby JimLED » 26 Nov 2013, 20:09

Hello folks!

My Mexican Stratocaster waiting for great Christmas upgrade. I would like to change the plate and replace it by plate with Rory Gallagher's pickups.
As I know the original color of Rory's strat was green (correct me). And he used aged white pickups on it. Aged white on green plate.
So, I have a couple hours ( till the morning ) to decide which color of pickguard I have to buy and which one is best for my strat body!

A few photoshop pictures from me how it gonna be.

Black/Black. My original plate.

GREEN/WIHITE AGED

WHITE/WIHITE AGED

Folks, please vote! :)

Jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Re: My NEW plate for the strat. Please vote!

Postby Tina » 26 Nov 2013, 20:50

Hi Jim,

nice guitar you have! I voted for the white one, it shines more and when looking at the guitar you can feel ( hear) the "energy" ... just my female thought :)

( my guitar -I bought a long time ago- had to be a red one... it was the time my favourite guitarplayer was Mark Knopfler and I dreamed of learning to play " sultans of swing" ;) ... never managed it :(
and now after almost 10 years not touching the guitar at all I started again trying to learn -some of the licks of- " bad penny", " egded in blue"...( and a bit Gary Moore, too) . trying to learn to play now feels no longer a struggle as it was years ago... maybe has someting to do with the songs.... oh, forgotten to say : my guitar is nothing special: a Strat-copy made by Epiphone)

... anyway... good look! hope you´ll choose the right Christmas-Present!

Tina
Tina

Postby Jay Jay » 26 Nov 2013, 22:26

Hi Jim,

Very nice Blue color for your strat. I've voted for the black scratch plate. IMO It's different and looks classy with black on blue :)
Save your money and just buy the pups. Buy the mint green when you get second strat. Maybe a sunburst hey ;)

Be good if you wore a blue and black check shirt with it also ;)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 26 Nov 2013, 22:33

Hi Tina and Jay Jay!

But black one is old one. I used to play on it for long 8 years. "My eyes can't see you"... wish some new changes for strat. The white one is so brighter. I think I'll prefer green plato. :)
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 26 Nov 2013, 22:47

JimLED wrote:Hi Tina and Jay Jay!

But black one is old one. I used to play on it for long 8 years. "My eyes can't see you"... wish some new changes for strat. The white one is so brighter. I think I'll prefer green plato. :)

Ok Jim, i get your point. Maybe as I said the black looks classier because the screws are in the scratch plate with that picture. It looks neater around the bridge too.

If you had screws in the others two pictures, with the scratch plate fixed, those two would look much better YES!
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 23 Dec 2013, 18:59

Today I finally had recieved my plate with Kent Armstrong RG 61 pickups :)
Looks great. First, I wish to shield it by cooper tape (already have).
But I didn't understand where to plug the Jack? Would you like to help?

Standart scheme is: wire to volume pot middle connector and wire to GRND, right? (there are arrows on the pic)
But how to do scheme with two pots master and volume that Rory did used in 70-80?
Jim

JimLED

Re: My NEW plate for the strat.

Postby leprechaun1 » 24 Dec 2013, 00:28

hey jim, nice to see those rory pups. if you want to use one master tone pot just unsoldier the neck pickup pot and soldier the bottom tone to the selector switch at the point the jumper is connecting the tone and pickup sides. if you want Rory's set up from when he first bought the strat to about 76 or 77 just get a 3 way selector instead of the 5 way and wire the strat as a standard(no tone on the bridge). from 76 or 77 he actually had the middle and bridge pups wired to the same bottom tone control. sometime around 79 or 80 he had a 5 way switch installed but still had the bridge and middle to the same tone control. sometime in the late 80s he went to the single tone control set up with the 5 way selector. if you can't tell i have watched a lot of Rory's videos and payed very close attention. one question for you, what is the capacitor value they sent with the Rory pups?
leprechaun1

Postby JimLED » 24 Dec 2013, 00:40

hi leprechaun1, Later I try to do two pots volume scheme. But now I wish to play it as it is. But there's bridge pup is FS1 (I hope it is. Kent site says that).
The capacitor value is .022 mf. This is a cheap one, right? I gonna find something else from my old 50s years radio collection.
JimLED

Postby leprechaun1 » 24 Dec 2013, 02:37

oh man...fs-1, you're going to be rocking. the .022uf cap is what fender puts in the strat now but yes if you can find a .1uf ceramic cap from some old radio equipment as i did that is the ticket. the .1uf value will let you do the faux wah stuff. just enjoy your pups and merry christmas(i don't say happy holidays).by the way i'm loving the color of that strat.
leprechaun1

Postby JimLED » 03 Jan 2014, 01:06

Hi leprechaun1!

Holidays are the time to set up my new pickguard!
I can't put it on guitar yet, becouse last days of december was too busy for me.

I did a couple tests with capacitor. I used my sell phone as a source (no strings usage yet). I put it to the single coil by face.
The original .022 is a pretty good for wah stuff I think, but when I used old two paper capacitors for .05 in this case the wah effect was more deeply. I got .154 (tester says) connecting all them in parallel (0.022 + 0.05 + 0.05).
Next day I gonna test it with real strings.

JimLED

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk