How Martin Guitars became an 'American Stradivarius'

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

How Martin Guitars became an 'American Stradivarius'

Postby Flamenca » 21 Nov 2013, 15:22

Interesting article on the BBC web site about a new book on Martin guitars - for all aficionados out there ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25006467

New Yorkers may want to go to the exhibition in the New Year and let us know all about it ...
Flamenca

Re: How Martin Guitars became an 'American Stradivarius'

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Nov 2013, 19:29

I remember my uncle in the 50s and 60s used to go to garage and yard sales looking for old Martins- I remember he'd come over to visit and he'd almost always have a guitar in hand- He'd find them, buy them dirt cheap ($5-$10) from people who didn't realize what they had- "just some old guitar lying around the attic gathering dust" he'd play them for a while because he loved having a good guitar, and in his humble opinion, Martins were the best, then he'd turn around and sell them to a pro who knew their value, for their fair market price. He used to do it all the time, then word got around, probably when people like Rory and Clapton started showing them off. In the mid-late 60s seems everyone on the street knew about them, and my uncle's second-hand sources pretty much dried up from then on.
RobertaSparrow

Re: How Martin Guitars became an 'American Stradivarius'

Postby roryfan » 22 Nov 2013, 02:33

A few year ago, we visited the Martin factory. VERY interesting! The craftmanship is amazing. They not only build Martin guitars, but repair older damaged guitars. Well worth a visit! http://www.martinguitar.com/

Need to visit again one of these days
roryfan

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk