Alnico 5 vs Alnico 3 magnets

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Alnico 5 vs Alnico 3 magnets

Postby JimLED » 08 Nov 2013, 23:37

Always, I had a strong thoughts about Alnico 3 that it's great vintage pickups with a sound of guitars of early 50's.
Also, I had a thoughts that Alnico 5 pickups was made for strong rock music and it has so brightly and punchier sound.
But at the Kent's article all things quite the reverse:

"The Alnico 5 versions are a bit punchier and brighter with a sharper attack and response as if the pickups were new. This gives you the ability to reproduce the tone Rory had in the mid to late 1960’s with his band Taste. If you choose the Alnico 3 versions you are able to recreate the aged, warmer tones from the more recent recordings and performances in his career. They share the warmth and tone you would expect picking up one of those guitars today and plugging it in to your favorite amp."

Here's a link

I think Rory's sound of later years was more punchier and brighter that in Taste era. How it can be that Alnico 3 is more warmer than Alnico 5?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Re: Alnico 5 vs Alnico 3 magnets

Postby RussV » 12 Nov 2013, 13:50

You have to remember there are a lot of variables involved and the pickups are just one. His amp settings and the recording\mixing process would all contribute to end result. Personally I don't think pickup magnets would make a huge difference after the signals been amplified, distorted, compressed, recorded and mixed.
RussV

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk