Rory Relic Strat Custom Build

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Rory Relic Strat Custom Build

Postby Buzzwagon » 08 May 2013, 21:13

Hi, All

I'm new to the Forum so thought I'd pitch straight in with some pictures of my custom Rory that I received today! I've been a big fan of Rory's since I heard Off The Handle when I borrowed the Top Priority album from the local library in the 80's. A local blues band that I'd interviewed for a University radio documentary even played it for me on my birthday as they knew i was a big fan. I've been wanting a Rory strat for a long time and finally commissioned this nearly 11 months ago.

Some specs - Bare Knuckle Irish Tour Pickups, custom 7 way pick up wiring loom using a push/push system to give some extra sound options and a Dave Gilmour sound if I want, mismatched tuners and replaced pearl dot at 12th fret.

I'm very happy with it!

Buzzwagon

Re: Rory Relic Strat Custom Build

Postby asdesas » 08 May 2013, 23:40

That's a nice piece o' work! I'll bet it sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby dominic1935 » 09 May 2013, 10:08

http://www.flickr.com/photos/relic-guit ... hotostream
a few more pics one here; but i can't work out how to post pictures properly!
two piece light weight alder body with the correct placed seam, musikraft neck; nitro finished and as many other details as i could possibly recreate.. been a bit of a labour of love; but i think it worked out pretty well in the end :) and a happy customer !!
dominic1935

Postby Spiv » 19 May 2013, 06:09

Hi Buzz, that is one cool piece of gear !! May I ask where you got a hold of the bridge ? I am looking to do a build myself and thought the bridge was a standard USA stratocaster bridge with the stamped Fender saddles, but apparently not ?
Spiv

Postby dominic1935 » 19 May 2013, 11:06

Spiv wrote:Hi Buzz, that is one cool piece of gear !! May I ask where you got a hold of the bridge ? I am looking to do a build myself and thought the bridge was a standard USA stratocaster bridge with the stamped Fender saddles, but apparently not ?

hey Spiv,
the bridge was a composite on this. not entirely sure what rory's original was; but the pics of his show one with block/cast saddles not fender stamped bent steel as used on the fender custom shop one- another detail they got woefully wrong!! so this is a fender sized steel block and tremolo base plate and the saddles were robbed from an old squier trem!! hope this helps.. cheers, Dominic
dominic1935

Postby Buzzwagon » 19 May 2013, 23:06

Hey, Spiv

To follow on from Dominics reply, I'd also say that as Rory was changing and swapping parts throughout the years it also depends how close you want it to be - in looks only or down to the last part? The wiring on mine has been 'hot rodded' for want of a better word, purely because this guitar has been built to be played. Rory seemed to have a very practical approach to his #1 and I'm sure it would've kept evolving. Good luck with your build!
Buzzwagon

Postby Spiv » 20 May 2013, 09:41

Hi DOminic,
Well as luck would have it, just after posting the question about the bridge, I went on ebay and found a bridge from a Japanese Strat with the same saddles as Rory's and .................they are already reliced and look the part. Hopefully the pic has loaded OK, plus it has a heavy block :D
Cheers Spiv

Bridge for build.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spiv

Postby Spiv » 20 May 2013, 09:44

Hi Buzz,

Thanks for the reply, please see my post above, I had a bit of luck finding that yesterday. I hope it will look the part
Spiv

Postby folkdeejay » 21 May 2013, 13:17

Noticed that the saddles on hos main strat are different here - it seems they have a rounded, shaped string hole.
http://youtu.be/4anKKgEPMi0
folkdeejay

Postby dominic1935 » 21 May 2013, 15:53

folkdeejay wrote:Noticed that the saddles on hos main strat are different here - it seems they have a rounded, shaped string hole.
http://youtu.be/4anKKgEPMi0

that kinda sums up buzz's comment about the strat being very much worked on in its time..
I guess whatever worked for him at the time was what he used. the bridge pickup looks noticeably whiter as well so that seems 'changed' etc etc.. when trying to recreate it; the visual i had to use was where it stood now; so that was what i tried to model it on and trying to incorporate the bits that fender just hammed up on.. so its definitely had a lot of changed parts on it over time as they either didn't stand up to the constant gigging or for whatever reason. it sure doesn't look as it once might have :)
good luck with the build pal...
dominic1935

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk