Rory's Tele/Esquire

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Rory's Tele/Esquire

Postby Stevo » 20 Apr 2013, 11:36

I've seen pictures of Rory playing a Tele or Esquire that is black with a white scratch plate, but with 3 pickups, like a Strat, but its not in the guitar section. Is this the Esquire, and did he just change the pickups, or is it a different guitar?
Stevo

Re: Rory's Tele/Esquire

Postby davidduck » 21 Apr 2013, 10:42

Correct me i I'm wrong but that started life as his battered cream esquire, then got painted black before having the two strat pickups installed along with afive way switch. I think this was around the time of 'against the grain'. It seems like the guitar stayed in this stratified tele way for a while before he changed it back to a regular tele layout..

another question though..did this guitar get used much following the end of the irish tour band lineup? I don't see it in too many photos from after that time..seems like the red gretsch was the only real dedicated slide guitar that Rory stuck with after that...any thoughts?
davidduck

Re: Rory's Tele/Esquire

Postby cliftondehner » 02 Jul 2013, 11:56

In an interview rory speak about his white esquire.His Telecaster is a 1953 Esquire.The Black Esquire is a different guitar, he had the esquire and a white tele.He done some more renovation to that 1953 model.
cliftondehner

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk