Rory's tone

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Re: Rory's tone

Postby Philby47 » 10 Apr 2013, 20:13

I haven't done it yet, but I think it will be a bit hard reaching the other tone pot since the first will be disconnected. Would the result be same if I disconnected the second tone pot?
Philby47
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 08 Apr 2013, 17:52

Re: Rory's tone

Postby leprechaun1 » 10 Apr 2013, 22:09

i don't have a schematic of the pot wiring but it's on line somewhere. i took the middle tone wires off the controls and moved the lower tone pot's wire to the same location that the switch jumper wire is soldered to. make sure you put it on the tone side of the 5 way switch. the jumper stays in place from tone side to pickup side. be sure to put your cap to the middle lug and the wire to the left lug (looking at the bottom of the tone pot, lugs toward the pups).do not use the right lug, don't solder it to the pot, it's not a volume control. a word on the cap, fender used a .1uf and a .05uf in 1961 there was a change over to the .05uf at this time. as supplies ran out of the .1uf they used the .05uf. there's no way to be sure if Rory's had a .05uf but all the research i have done leads me to believe it was. mainly because of the date the guitar was made. if anyone can prove me wrong PLEASE do so. i tried them both and the .1uf seems to kill some of the great feedback like Rory would get, even with the volume of the amp cranked. it makes the guitar overly dark and it dosen't have the "clang" like Rory's strat. try them both and see which one is best for you. i had a hard time getting a .05uf and opted for a .047uf.
leprechaun1
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 01 Feb 2012, 01:24

Re: Rory's tone

Postby JimLED » 10 Apr 2013, 22:14

Few years ago I had read that Rory cut off a spaces at the resistive surface of volume pot... it helped to get the tremble effect while rolling the knob, but there is a bit of stuck becouse you're never will know exactly in which position at surface space the pot will be stopped..
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
User avatar
JimLED
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 23:08
Location: UKRAINE

Re: Rory's tone

Postby JimLED » 10 Apr 2013, 22:27

leprechaun1 wrote:i don't have a schematic of the pot wiring but it's on line somewhere. i took the middle tone wires off the controls and moved the lower tone pot's wire to the same location that the switch jumper wire is soldered to. make sure you put it on the tone side of the 5 way switch. the jumper stays in place from tone side to pickup side. be sure to put your cap to the middle lug and the wire to the left lug (looking at the bottom of the tone pot, lugs toward the pups).do not use the right lug, don't solder it to the pot, it's not a volume control. a word on the cap, fender used a .1uf and a .05uf in 1961 there was a change over to the .05uf at this time. as supplies ran out of the .1uf they used the .05uf. there's no way to be sure if Rory's had a .05uf but all the research i have done leads me to believe it was. mainly because of the date the guitar was made. if anyone can prove me wrong PLEASE do so. i tried them both and the .1uf seems to kill some of the great feedback like Rory would get, even with the volume of the amp cranked. it makes the guitar overly dark and it dosen't have the "clang" like Rory's strat. try them both and see which one is best for you. i had a hard time getting a .05uf and opted for a .047uf.


Hello, Leprechaun!

I think I had the same wire. A couple years ago I cut off the middle pot at made a bit changes in the wires.
http://www.schoolmusic.co.kr/index_wiring_3-Pickup.php3

Image

(Strat W/Master Tone scheme)

It seemed to me sound better and brighter for my strat. Now I have a dream for getting Kent Armstrong pickups but... I wish to read more about before buying.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
User avatar
JimLED
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 23:08
Location: UKRAINE

Re: Rory's tone

Postby leprechaun1 » 10 Apr 2013, 23:37

that's the one i saw on line as well. yeh, i want to get the kent armstrong 61's. if anyone would know Rory's set up it most likely be him. i believe Rory used the middle pot in the master tone set up for a while early on and later moved it to the bottom control.
leprechaun1
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 01 Feb 2012, 01:24

Re: Rory's tone

Postby leprechaun1 » 13 Apr 2013, 01:34

leprechaun1 wrote:i don't have a schematic of the pot wiring but it's on line somewhere. i took the middle tone wires off the controls and moved the lower tone pot's wire to the same location that the switch jumper wire is soldered to. make sure you put it on the tone side of the 5 way switch. the jumper stays in place from tone side to pickup side. be sure to put your cap to the middle lug and the wire to the left lug (looking at the bottom of the tone pot, lugs toward the pups).do not use the right lug, don't solder it to the pot, it's not a volume control. a word on the cap, fender used a .1uf and a .05uf in 1961 there was a change over to the .05uf at this time. as supplies ran out of the .1uf they used the .05uf. there's no way to be sure if Rory's had a .05uf but all the research i have done leads me to believe it was. mainly because of the date the guitar was made. if anyone can prove me wrong PLEASE do so. i tried them both and the .1uf seems to kill some of the great feedback like Rory would get, even with the volume of the amp cranked. it makes the guitar overly dark and it dosen't have the "clang" like Rory's strat. try them both and see which one is best for you. i had a hard time getting a .05uf and opted for a .047uf.

i wanted to say that i did some changing in the wiring in my strat. i always had the pot wired like i had discribed in this post. maybe i was led down a wrong path. i tried the schematic that philby47 had posted and it worked so much better. i even was able to use a .1uf cap. this is like the same effect that you get from a modern wired les paul verses a vintage wired les paul. one is a brighter effect than the other.intresting. i'm sorry if i also led someone astray. philby47 thank you for opening my eyes. but i still stand by my fender cap research.
leprechaun1
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 01 Feb 2012, 01:24

Re: Rory's tone

Postby JimLED » 13 Apr 2013, 08:29

leprechaun1 wrote:[i tried the schematic that philby47 had posted and it worked so much better.

Please, share it. I can't find!

Jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
User avatar
JimLED
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 23:08
Location: UKRAINE

Re: Rory's tone

Postby leprechaun1 » 13 Apr 2013, 12:27

lol! sorry i got you guys mixed up. darn old age.
leprechaun1
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 01 Feb 2012, 01:24

Re: Rory's tone

Postby asdesas » 22 Apr 2013, 04:43

I gave up trying to get Rory's tone years ago--after going through tons of gear, treble boosters etc. For sure a lot of a guitarist's tone is in his or her hands, and darn it i guess it's just not in mine! I mean, I can get all the Strat tones etc, but Rory's touch was so unique.The closest I ever got to Rory's Irish Tour tone was with my old Fender Bandmaster head with a 2x12 cabinet with Jensens. It's a very clean amp that doesn't break up until it's really pushed. I pushed it with a (now ancient) Tube Screamer. If you have a Tube Screamer, or something like it, you can kind of substitute it for a treble booster. Crank the TS's volume high, with the drive relatively low so it's not very distorted. Boost the tone so it cuts. That way you can use your guitar's volume to push the whole chain and get a good range of tones from clean to nicely overdriven without it sounding too fuzzy. The never ending quest is a lot of fun--it would be great if you could post some audio clips of your tones!

Regards,
Richard
User avatar
asdesas
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 13:47
Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Re: Rory's tone

Postby JimLED » 22 Apr 2013, 19:09

asdesas wrote:-it would be great if you could post some audio clips of your tones!


Richard, it's already done for the forum.

You just need to use [mp3] tag. But... you need to have direct link to your mp3 file to be able opened inside [mp3] tags. For example, your website where you can store your music and get direct links to it.

Or try to use Prostopleer service. It helps you to attach the music like:



READ this tech section of the forum to get help information.
http://forum.rorygallagher.com/viewforum.php?f=34
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
User avatar
JimLED
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 23:08
Location: UKRAINE

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest