Rory's tone

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Re: Rory's tone

Postby leprechaun1 » 22 Apr 2013, 21:52

here's an intresting question, when did Rory go from using normal strat controls(neck, middle and no control on the bridge pup) to just a master tone control? watch all your videos and you will see he didn't always use a master tone control.especially in the early days. i say it was changed around '76 or '77, but i'm not even sure. when Rory talks about his tone control set up it is in later interviews.
leprechaun1

Postby asdesas » 27 Apr 2013, 17:44

The 5-way switch became standard equipment in Strats in '77. You can hear the 2/4, in-between positions on some Rory stuff from before--the player could put the switch in the in-between positions, though it wasn't always easy to do on the fly and the springs could pull it to one side or the middle. He's one of the only players I've heard who used the in-between positions for his overdriven leads rather than just the clean stuff. I'm convinced he liked the 2/4 positions not just because of the tone but because they killed a lot of the noise when he was slamming his amp with his booster.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby leprechaun1 » 28 Apr 2013, 15:30

not the switch, i was refering to the tone control. he used a standard strat set up for a long time and sometime in the late 70's or 80's he changed it to one tone control for all 3 pickups. i was just wondering when.
leprechaun1

Postby asdesas » 29 Apr 2013, 04:41

My bad. I think this may have been covered by Chris Eccleshall's son in a way earlier post. Will try to find it.
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Previous

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk