Rory Relic Stratocaster

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Rory Relic Stratocaster

Postby dominic1935 » 25 Feb 2013, 10:55

http://www.flickr.com/photos/relic-guit ... otostream/

There seem to be a few of these popping up at the moment, so i thought where better to add mine than to this forum so i hope you all will welcome me and enjoy the pictures. This took a long long time to do as I'm sure you'll be able to see from the pictures and was a fascinating, if at times utterly soul destroying guitar to try and reproduce! I'd be interested to hear what you all think..
cheers, Dominic

p.s
i don't know if i have added the pictures properly, so apologies if not; and if they don't upload correctly if someone might give me the heads up as to how to do it i'd be grateful. :)
dominic1935

Re: Rory Relic Stratocaster

Postby JimLED » 25 Feb 2013, 15:54

Welcome to Loose Talk, Dominic.

You have made a great work with your Rory strat. How good is the tune of it?

Jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby battered_strat » 25 Feb 2013, 20:31

Hi Dominic,

Looks good! Hope all is well, you still making other relic guitars? long time no talk!

Liam
battered_strat

Postby dominic1935 » 26 Feb 2013, 09:45

battered_strat wrote:Hi Dominic,

Looks good! Hope all is well, you still making other relic guitars? long time no talk!

Liam

Hey Liam,
cheers mate :)
i thought you'd probably see it on here. still doing the others yes; but this one was a point of principle i suppose in terms of a relic right??! god what a mission this was!
all's not too bad. wish it was a bit more like spring; but it's probably warmer here than in germany ! how's that all going for you? i hope everything's good.
dominic1935

Postby dominic1935 » 26 Feb 2013, 09:59

JimLED wrote:Welcome to Loose Talk, Dominic.

You have made a great work with your Rory strat. How good is the tune of it?

Jim

Hey Jim.
thanks for the welcome.. and thank you for you kind comments on the guitar.
wow what a labour of love this turned out to be!!
this is one of two that i was doing at the same time. one was for a customer and i built this one as a test to show me how i might do it.. sure, there are a few bits i would try differently next time round but i reckon it's looking pretty good. it's a good guitar; but i left it with more modest priced pickups and a non fender neck- that's why i haven't done the neck exactly like rory's; to keep it at a lower price than my customers build which is an expensive one. it's a great one to play though, sounds very good in part cos of the lack of finish i'm sure and just gives that "something" when you play an old guitar :) The bodies on these are awesome in terms of construction and i haven't used any any better in all those guitars i have built. old alder; oh with the seam in exactly the same place as rory's for the eagle eyed amongst you!! I almost wish it wasn't for sale!! nice little details though that i tried to get when doing this though have left me satisfied and yet determined to make the next ones better! the real thing is as Liam has commented here and elsewhere fascinating isn't it? i learned a lot about it as i painted it, and re painted it (over and over again!); and stared at all the pictures of the real thing.. learned a lot about Rory as well as i went on which was equally cool . I hope the rest of the forum enjoy it. Looks like a great forum you all have here :) cheers, Dominic
dominic1935

Postby battered_strat » 28 Feb 2013, 15:20

dominic1935 wrote:
battered_strat wrote:Hi Dominic,

Liam

Hey Liam,
cheers mate :)
i thought you'd probably see it on here. still doing the others yes; but this one was a point of principle i suppose in terms of a relic right??! god what a mission this was!
all's not too bad. wish it was a bit more like spring; but it's probably warmer here than in germany ! how's that all going for you? i hope everything's good.

Excellent, did you get a website up and running in the end? Yeah i bet it was a lot of work! haven't tried one for a while now. Don't talk to me about the cold weather! been horrible here since November, but the snow just melted and saw the sun today for the first time in months so things are looking up! 8-)
battered_strat

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk