Rory Guitar Workshop?

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Rory Guitar Workshop?

Postby Tim J » 10 Jan 2013, 20:57

Subrata has posted support for the idea of a Rory Guitar Workshop under Alexis thread on Rory's Ibanez guitar, where those of us who would like to share our instruments, allow folk to play them and just talk about our gear would be welcome to come along & join an evening (or daytime) forum. I can probably muster a bass player & drummer if necessary for a bit of a 'Rory evening'. Or any of you pro Rory tribute players could bring fellow sidesmen?

Anyone up for this? I realise location & travel would be the major hassle or obstacle. However between all of us we should be able to co-ordinate something somewhere in the UK - or even Ireland (Republic or Northern)
Tim J

Re: Rory Guitar Workshop?

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Jan 2013, 21:02

I will do my best to come. If people could let me know the detail and then I can get time off work and tell Susie and Callum as well. Hopefully I won't have any writing events of festivals to attend. I don't want to let Rory down on this workshop and I really want to learn a few guitar tips. x
SUBY1974

Postby Tim J » 14 Jan 2013, 20:17

Judging by the response so far Subrata - I'm thinking this whole concept might be 'dead in the water'...There's not the hunger for getting out to live events these days. We're all typing on PC's & tablets !!!
Tim J

Postby SUBY1974 » 16 Jan 2013, 00:21

It is a shame that there is not much interest for the workshop. I thought younger musicians would be really interested. It is special because of Rory and one could learn a lot. Also I am a writer not a musician and would still love to have gone if one could garner more interest for it. Maybe a small workshop could be done at the Rory Festival in Ballyshannon in May 2013?I will be there with Susie this year for the festival. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 16 Jan 2013, 20:26

SUBY1974 wrote:It is a shame that there is not much interest for the workshop. I thought younger musicians would be really interested. It is special because of Rory and one could learn a lot. Also I am a writer not a musician and would still love to have gone if one could garner more interest for it. Maybe a small workshop could be done at the Rory Festival in Ballyshannon in May 2013?I will be there with Susie this year for the festival. Subrata.x

It may not be that there isn't much interest in such an event- it might be more along the lines of it being quite a commute for many of us. . . I think it's a wonderful idea, but one that needs to be focused to an interested audience in that geographical area, or perhaps at the Ballyshannon Rory Festival or maybe in Rory's hometown of Cork, perhaps at the college where his uncle worked? He had/has a loyal base of fans all over the world, which is why this site is so great, but for events such as this one proposed, unfortunately it isn't practical for many. That doesn't mean there is no interest, though. ;)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tim J » 18 Jan 2013, 12:37

Totally agree Roberta....& Oregon is a long way !!!

Being professionally involved in event planning as part of my work, I've learned anywhere is very inconvenient for a lot of folk !! It's always going to be miles for someone who wants to see the gig. I must admit the Ballyshannon Event is the place for such a workshop. However, venues & accommodation I've heard from my travels to that neck of the woods leads me to believe it's logistically a tricky place in which to operate. I'll give it some more thought....
Tim J

Postby SUBY1974 » 21 Jan 2013, 17:41

It would be nice to have the workshop in Ballyshannon this year. Subrata. :D
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 22 Jan 2013, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
SUBY1974

Postby Tim J » 22 Jan 2013, 13:49

Not seen any publicity for Ballyshannon - or am I just not looking ????
Tim J

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk