Rory Gallagher Guyatone Marroly LGX-II

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Rory Gallagher Guyatone Marroly LGX-II

Postby Vincent » 19 Dec 2012, 22:22

Hi,

As I mentioned before in the Ibanez-topic I recently bought a guitar that belonged to Rory's guitar collection. I had the guitar inspected at Lovelock Custom Guitars (Vechtstraat 53 8021 AS Zwolle, Holland). Here's the report I got:

"Several weeks ago a noteworthy guitar was left at my shop for further inspection. The owner of this instrument said to have recently obtained this guitar at an auction. The instrument was part of the guitar collection of the late Rory Gallagher. This guitar was of a type custom built for him by Guyatone. The Guyatone company was developing a guitar that was to become an artist signature model.

Details about this particular guitar:

Brand: Guyatone
Type: LGX II Marroly (2 pickup model)
Neck wood: Rock Maple
Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
Body: Alder.

The instrument came into the shop approximately tuned to open D (DGCF#AD), and was equipped with relatively fresh .010-.046 nickelplated roundwound strings.

There is a small amount of dirt on the fingerboard around the 17-21 fret, as can be seen on picture 1. This gungy dirt might actually contain Gallagher DNA. It is common practice to clean the fingerboard ridding it of gunge buildup. I will however resist the temptation on this guitar!

IMG_0223 (640x427).jpg

The fret ends of the guitar have typical corrosion for someone with very acidic sweat. It is a well known fact that Rory Gallagher had very acidic sweat. It caused his guitars and strings to wear faster than normal.

Neck and Neckpocket:

Removing the neck reveals some interesting details:

The inside of the neckpocket shows colours normaly used in a tobacco sunburst finish, while the guitar itself is a translucent cherry red.

guyatone2 (640x333).jpg

The body of this guitar must have been refinished in a different colour. This was most likely done at the factory before the guitar was ever assembled. It is quite possible that the factory only stocked guitar bodies in tobacco sunburst, when Mr. Gallagher ordered a cherry red one. Most likely, the finish was removed and the guitar refinished.

The above seems plausible, as the finish of this guitar is of outstanding factory quality. However I cannot be 100% certain about this.

The heel shows plugged and redrilled holes for the mounting screws. This was done in a very professional, factory like manner. It could be that this neck is stock for another Guyatone model, with a different heelshape. Another possibility would be that Guyatone gave Mr. Gallagher several different body and neck shapes for comparisson. In that case it is not unlikely that Mr. Gallagher requested this particular neck, from one of the guitars to go with this body, for which it was clearly not intended. It would be very interesting to find out how these custom models where actually conceived.

Electronics

The neck pickup appears to be a Japanese telecaster copy. The hookup wires & pickup shield have been resoldered. The threads in the screw holes have also been stripped. This has been “repaired” by using pieces of flatwork cut from another pickup underneath. Both modifications to the neck pickup are clearly non factory work. A professional guitar technician would probably find a more elegant solution for the stripped screw holes, and would also do a cleaner soldering job of the hookup wires.

The reason for resoldering the hookup wires & shield is most likely to change the phase of this pickup to match that of the bridge pickup, which is of a different manufacturer.

Technical details of this pickup are: Alnico magnets. There is a white insulation layer between the magnets and the coil, which can be seen through the holes in the flatwork.
There is no measurable DC connection between the magnets and the coil.
The pickup measures as follows: DC resistance 6.98KΩ Inductance 3.39 H. (Inductance measured on 20H scale of Monacor LCR-4000)

The bridge pickup is different to the neck pickup. It is a Gibson mini humbucker.
The patent number (PAT No. 2737842) is embossed on the bottom, and there is the typical inked stamp saying “Nashville”. The remains of the original cream ring indicate that the pickup had a former life in a 1970’s Les Paul Deluxe Guitar.

This pickup does not appear to be modified in any way, but it has been fitted in a black “Surface mount Epiphone style” pickup ring. The original cream Gibson LP special ring has been sacrificed, and is now serving as a spacer for a precise fit.

Technical details of this pickup: DC resistance 6.07KΩ Inductance: 4.48 Henry

As can be expected in the guitar of a working pro, the original Japanese output jack has been replaced by a more reliable Switchcraft type. The importance of this humble component is often overlooked. Most guitartechs are in agreement that a failing output jack is the number one reason for failing electronics in a guitar.

The control cavity shows us the following: CTS USA Pots (Both 250K), a cheap Japanese selector switch (probably the only original factory part here), and a high grade El Menco brand foil capacitor (47nF).

The CTS pots are coded: FN 8449 (Volume), and FN 844(solder blob).
This indicates that these pots where made in the 49’th week of 1984.
The capacitor is coded: .047 ± 10% 400WV EM.

The cavity has been shielded with conductive shielding paint (resembling the badger electrodag type commonly used by guitartechs). I believe the shieldingpaint to be non factory, as the pickup cavities are not shielded.

The foam inside the cavity is there to prevent wire-rattle. The foam is beginning to disintegrate and crumble.

Similar foam is also found in the pickup cavities. The cavity has a different shape than the pickup suggests. This is not really a telecaster neck routing, but the larger rout for a mini humbucker. The lack of (mounting ring) screw holes proves that a minihumbucker has never been mounted in this particular cavity.

Also noteworthy are the two Japanese symbols printed on the bottom of this rout.

guyatone3.png

The guitar is equipped with an aftermarket “Graph Tech” nut, made of a self lubricating material. There is a shim underneath the nut, which appears to be made of Wengé wood.
The nut seems to be replaced/installed in a very professional way.

The slot for the 6th string is filled with something that resembles cyanoacrylate (superglue), indicating that this slot was worn too low.
A quick and well known fix for this is a dab of superglue. This is however a fix of very temporary nature. It shows up as a whiteish filling in the 6th string slot in
the image to the right.

The Gibson Style truss rod nut appears to be in good condition."

I'd like to hear your comments on the report! Anyone that knows the meaning of the Japanese symbols? A big thank you to Eric van der Hoeven for writing the report!

IMG_0229 (640x427).jpg

Vincent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vincent

Re: Rory Gallagher Guyatone Marroly LGX-II

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Dec 2012, 06:12

Vincent wrote:Hi,

As I mentioned before in the Ibanez-topic I recently bought a guitar that belonged to Rory's guitar collection. I had the guitar inspected at Lovelock Custom Guitars (Vechtstraat 53 8021 AS Zwolle, Holland). Here's the report I got:

"Several weeks ago a noteworthy guitar was left at my shop for further inspection. The owner of this instrument said to have recently obtained this guitar at an auction. The instrument was part of the guitar collection of the late Rory Gallagher. This guitar was of a type custom built for him by Guyatone. The Guyatone company was developing a guitar that was to become an artist signature model.

Details about this particular guitar:

The instrument came into the shop approximately tuned to open D (DGCF#AD), and was equipped with relatively fresh .010-.046 nickelplated roundwound strings.

There is a small amount of dirt on the fingerboard around the 17-21 fret, as can be seen on picture 1. This gungy dirt might actually contain Gallagher DNA. It is common practice to clean the fingerboard ridding it of gunge buildup. I will however resist the temptation on this guitar!

Vincent

I would never EVER clean that guitar!
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tim J » 10 Jan 2013, 21:12

Vincent...fascinating stuff !!! That guitar looks a treat ! I've yet to raise the courage to dismantle Rory's Cherry Telecaster !! However I have had to glue some frets down where it was creating 'same note' syndrome across progressive frets. It's now playable - it wasn't when I got it home, intonation was a disaster compared my Gibson 335 & Rory Fender Strat.

Have you seen my thread about a Rory Guitar Workshop? Between us & others with Rory Gear plus interested fans we could have fascinating evening somewhere !!
Tim J

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Jan 2013, 21:06

I would never clean this guitar either Roberta!! Thanks for sharing. x
SUBY1974

Postby Vincent » 14 Jan 2013, 21:15

Hi Tim,

I like the idea of getting the guitars together and compare the different kind of sounds! The Guyatone sounds quite bluesy, I wonder what the other guitars sound like.

I had contact by e-mail with the owner of the website http://homepage2.nifty.com/maybe_i_will/index.html. He sent me the following e-mail:

"Hello, Vincent

Thank you for visiting my web-site.
And I'm very excited hearing the news you are the owner of that guitar
now! I'm very glad the guitar's new owner is a real Rory fan.

I met the Guyatone man, who handed the guitar to Rory in 1991, last
November and I heard some interesting stories from him.

lf-91.jpg

He said: "It was on 19th February 1991 that I visited his dressing
room of Club Citta Kawasaki. I introduced myself and told him that I'm
from Guyatone company, Rory was very pleased and told me how Guyatone
company has treated him very well on his past three times Japanese
tours in 1970's.
After that, the gig was started. Surprisingly Rory came to the stage
with "that guitar" in his hand and he played the first two songs with
it! I couldn't believe it soon, but I was very very glad and excited.
I never know anyone else who can play the unknown guitar, that was
handed him several hours before the gig, on stage.
I thanked him he respected our company in that way. Good memory."

** the first two songs of the gig are "Continental OP" and "Moonchild"

rory guitars 6.jpg

Well, I have to answer your question!
"六絃" (ROKU-GEN) means "six strings". It's the name of a small
Japanese guitar builder's company. I think Rokugen was making some
prototype guitars for Guyatone at that time.
I don't know well about Rokugen, but I know a person who is a friend
with Rokugen's chief engineer. I will ask him later. If he let me know
me something, I will inform you again."

Now, how cool is that story?

By the way Roberta and Subrata, I have no intentions of cleaning the guitar! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vincent

Postby Tim J » 15 Jan 2013, 20:39

Vincent...Here's a youtube link to my channel and a clip of me talking and playing Rory's Cherry Telecaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DodCo99inoY

There's also another thread in the site here about a Rory Guitar Workshop....but I'm afraid no one else seems interested.
Tim J

Postby Vincent » 25 Jan 2013, 19:51

Hi Tim,

Finally had some time to watch the video! Great stuff! I must say it sounds amazing...

Would love to see your band perform with it.

Vincent
Vincent

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk