Rory's IBANEZ MUSICIAN MC 500 DS

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Rory's IBANEZ MUSICIAN MC 500 DS

Postby alexisvc » 27 Nov 2012, 13:20

Hello folks,

I am new here, from Munich Germany. 53 years old. Was at two Rory gigs - first in Munich March 23, 1975 (iwas 16 and it was my first concert) and Munich again, 1982 (Top Priority Tour).

TWO WEEKS ago i bought one of Rory's original guitars, one of the two IBANEZ MC 500 DS he owned. I bought the guitar from a dealer in London and I got a certificate from Rory's nephew Daniel. The nice thing was that they sent me the guitar in one of Rory's original Fender Cases (!)... with an address label and a faded/torn "Montreux 1975" sticker ... I almsot got more excited about the case when I opened the box ;-)

Does anybody here maybe know where Rory got or bought these guitars and if they were every played live or on a record? I think i saw a version of "Bullfrog Blues" on youtube on which he plays an Ibanez, but i think it was the ST 300 model (whcih was also for sale).

Another question: I also own a Fender Custom Shop Rory Gallegher Signature Strat. Does anybody know how MANY Fender is making (or made) of these? Also I saw a strange eBay ad some days a go, a guy sellimg a Custom Shop RG Strat - claimimg that it it "from the frist" series and "much better thna the model they sell now" ... Does anybody know more about that issue?

If anyboy is intersted in photos of the Ibanez, or the case, just let me know!
alexisvc

Re: Rory's IBANEZ MUSICIAN MC 500 DS

Postby JimLED » 27 Nov 2012, 14:07

Welcome to Loose Talk, alexisvc!
My congrats! Rory guitar and his case... I'd like to see the pictures!
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby eno » 28 Nov 2012, 01:52

Wow! Montreux 75 now that is a treasure, thanks for sharing.
"aint no use to change the way I am"
eno

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Nov 2012, 12:53

Hi Alexisvc, and a very warm welcome to Rory's forum.

Congratulations on your purchase of a wonderful Rory guitar. I had my eye on that beautiful walnut Ibanez for sometime, while it was up for grabs on ebay. Unfortunately I just could not afford to buy it. You are a very lucky fan indeed. Plus with what you've told us about the fender case also is a bonus.

alexisvc wrote:Does anybody here maybe know where Rory got or bought these guitars and if they were every played live or on a record? I think i saw a version of "Bullfrog Blues" on youtube on which he plays an Ibanez, but i think it was the ST 300 model (whcih was also for sale).

Not too sure about him playing Bullfrog Blues with this guitar? Possibly, but maybe you are getting a little mixed up with his Gretsch Corvette. As it looks a bit like the Ibanez. He always seem to use Gretsch Corvette for the song, from late 70's and after.

Rory ~ Gretsch Corvette.jpg

It still shows this Ibanez MC 500DS on main home page in Rory Guitar Collection section http://rorygallagher.com/#/archives/guitars
No information about where Rory acquired this guitar from though unfortunately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby Vincent » 09 Dec 2012, 15:44

Hi,

I'm new here as well! My name is Vincent and I was born in Holland in 1975. My brother in law introduced me to Rory's music a few years ago. From the first time I saw his Rock Palast performance 1979 I'm hooked.
Last august I bought the red Guyatone that was for sale as well. With the provenance letter came a photo showing Rory playing the guitar during a gig in Japan in 1991. At the moment the guitar is being checked. If any interesting details show up I'll let you know.

For the Ibanez: I searched the internet for more information. Actually it was one of the guitars in the rock chic catalogue 2006. Also the Japanese mag Player showed the guitar (and all the other guitars) in the october issue of 2006.

Vincent
Last edited by Vincent on 16 Jan 2016, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent

Postby JimLED » 09 Dec 2012, 21:09

Welcome OnBoards, Vincent!
Thank you for sharing your story. We'd like to see pictures of your Rory's guitar! Please!

Jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Vincent » 15 Dec 2012, 21:27

Thank you Jim!

Today I got the Guyatone back! Actually there were some interesting details in the report I got. As soon as I get a digital version of the report I will send you a copy.

Here is a photo of Rory playing the guitar in Japan 1991. I will make some pics later.

rory_g27.jpg

Vincent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vincent

Postby Vincent » 15 Dec 2012, 21:50

IMG_0180 (800x301).jpg
Ok,

here's the first pic I made. Light conditions are not that good at the moment. I'll try again later this week.

Vincent
Vincent

Postby SUBY1974 » 16 Dec 2012, 20:02

Again its great that Rory fans have been able to buy his guitar and that they will be put to work. Its wonderful! Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Vincent » 16 Dec 2012, 21:03

Thanx Subrata!

On http://homepage2.nifty.com/maybe_i_will ... p-013.html you can find an interesting topic on Rory Gallagher and his Guyatone guitars. Actually he had five of them:

tp013-g.jpg

The one I bought is the red one in the middle. What I know now that is was given to Rory during his last Japanese tour in 1991. As it was a prototype model it's kinda unique, it's probably the only LGX-II Marroly with Cherry Red Finish ever made.

Here are some shots I made today:

IMG_0203 (640x427).jpg

IMG_0213 (640x436).jpg

IMG_0223 (640x427).jpg

IMG_0226 (427x640).jpg
Vincent

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk