Rory's tone control

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Rory's tone control

Postby davidduck » 31 Jul 2012, 16:51

Hi people,

Does anyone have any information on what value of tone pot Rory used on his Strat? was it audio or linear taper and what size cap did he wire to it.
I'm looking to get the best wahwah effect from my tone pot, such as Rory got on 'walk on hot coals', and many others...thanks in advance

David.
davidduck

Re: Rory's tone control

Postby leprechaun1 » 31 Jul 2012, 22:16

i would venture a guess that his tone control was a cts 250k audio pot. and the cap was likely a .1 uf ceramic. although i perfer a .047 uf ceramic cap because it tends to let you achieve feed back at a lower volume. Rory however played very loud so the larger value cap didn't affect his feedback dynamics. just to mention, Rory's strat had the electronics reworked several times throughout his career. just try some different caps and have some fun. to note his '61 strat came with a .1uf ceramic cap but those old ceramic caps were a little different sounding in the presence roll off, they were a bit smoother.
leprechaun1

Postby JimLED » 31 Jul 2012, 22:51

I have read somewhere that Rory made a cuts inside of the volume pot for making that tricks with a rolling the knob.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby leprechaun1 » 01 Aug 2012, 02:29

can you explain the cuts in the volume pot. if he removed the resistor material the sound would drop out too fast and not swell the volume. sounds a bit like defeating the purpose of the control.
leprechaun1

Postby davidduck » 16 Oct 2012, 19:40

just a quick update, I've since rewired my strat the way rory had his..the 250k tone pot now responds much more like I wanted it to..maybe its due to the first tone pot not being in the circuit and loading down the signal...whatever the reason I like it this way. I even superglued the first tone knob so that it doesn't move and confuse me
davidduck

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk