RORY GALLAGHER Instruments / Gear Sale

Well that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming

Re: RORY GALLAGHER Instruments / Gear Sale

Postby TimJ » 22 Jun 2012, 13:59

Dear All

I'm sorry to hear so many are disappointed by this sale of gear. I have just purchased the Rory Composite Cherry Telecaster. I feel - as I've heard - that Donal & the family want this gear to be gigged or played just like Rory would have done.

I will not be hanging this guitar on my wall. I will be gigging it ...hard. It will receive the treatment my hero would have given it...pounding out the blues etc..at my local gigs - which occasionally are Rory tribute gigs.

I view this guitar as a sovereign accomplice to my Fender Custom Shop Rory Strat which receives regular outings on Rory material.

I hope I see some of you soon...and you can see the guitar doing what Rory had it for....some 'hard work'..

TimJ
Wolverhampton
TimJ

Postby Stevo » 23 Jun 2012, 14:51

Congratulations on the new guitar.
I'm pleased it's going to a good home and that it's going to be played and gigged.
Unusual pickups on that guitar. Did you go to the shop and play it first, or was it on the eBay auction?
Stevo

Postby tonetanner » 23 Jun 2012, 20:31

Brilliant stuff TimJ
Could you post where you might be gigging with it? (near worcester for example?)
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Postby TimJ » 24 Jun 2012, 13:38

Chaps...I tried the guitar out in Rick's shop. It is incredibly loud and fat for a Tele. (I toured with a standard Fender Tele in the 70's - this is very different.) This is a weapon of mass destruction through either my Marshall JCM TSL combo or my hybrid Vox AC30 !. It has a few intonation problems and a couple of high frets. I'm guessing Rory used this for slide work. The frets are very fat gauge - doesn't feel 'Tele' at all. But the sound is fabulous - it's probably twice as loud as my Rory Custom Shop Strat - but does not a have the variety of 'colours' you can get out of the Strat by switch positioning and 'rolling off' on the controls. This is a 'Bad Company / Free' sounding axe.

I will have to mess with the frets and action to get it playable for the work I'm going to make it do. As for gigs - I'm mainly based around Wolverhampton - but my website (timjenksband.com) will keep you up to date.

I will be in Watford on September 22nd - the White House Hotel - it will be a free gig and the guitar will be available to tinker with !!
TimJ

Postby SUBY1974 » 25 Jun 2012, 21:08

Really happy fans on this board have bought the guitars because we know how Rory would have wanted them to be played. X
SUBY1974

Postby Jay Jay » 25 Jun 2012, 21:14

SUBY1974 wrote:Really happy fans on this board have bought the guitars because we know how Rory would have wanted them to be played. X

I too echo those thoughts Suby :)
Jay Jay

Postby TimJ » 26 Jun 2012, 08:52

...I feel it's the best & least I can do. If any bands would like me to travel with my guitars to their gigs for a jam - I'd be only to happy. My work takes me around the country - I can always sling the Telecaster in the boot !! By getting Rory's gear 'back to work' we will really keep the mojo working !!

So let me know guys if there are any Rory gigs that I can join in on a tune or two !
TimJ

Postby Strat59 » 26 Jun 2012, 19:19

With regard the Sale I feel it's understandable with some of the lesser used pieces (still important though) that storing such a large Qty is difficult. Allowing some to be purchased by loyal fans is a decent thing. As with us all we downsize occassionally with gear that doesn't get a lot of use. Keeping the prized items only.

From what I can see not a lot is selling , are the listed prices open to negotiation ? Some seem high in light of the current economic climate. Dealers in the States are finding the Vintage Market has died from a few years ago. I know this is different being owned by Rory sets it apart. But I still think most fans who would love to buy can't afford those asking prices. It's always hard to put a price on collectable items/memorabilia etc. But I think the market is saying something. Not due to lack of love or respect for Rory , but purely most are doing it tough at the moment to pay those prices........ something Rory always related to, the Common Man. God Bless You Rory.

Were they issuing a Cert of Authenticity (we know it's Rory's gear) but many years from now should you sell you might need some proof for a new buyer should they ask
for it ?
Last edited by Strat59 on 28 Jun 2012, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Strat59

Postby TimJ » 28 Jun 2012, 09:19

Stop Press....Rehearsed with the Rory Cherry Telecaster last Monday...discovered the tone pot is a push-pull split of the bridge Bill Lawrence pick-up. So it does sound a bit 'Telecasterish' after all !!! Geeky guitar stuff now...There are some nasty high frets however around 13 & 14...same note in two places.!! I'm guessing the neck's a bit dried out and the frets have lifted - gonna have to be careful how I tackle this. It has to be dealt with to be playable - but I want to retain it as Rory had it....hmmmm...
TimJ

Postby tonetanner » 29 Jun 2012, 20:13

Is this the one he used one g/a for bullfrog blues etc? If so, I say leave the frets and play it slide as is was probably set up for. I have two high frets on my collegian, but as its mainly for slide and I wouldn't fret up there on it, I've left them as they've probably been for decades. Maybe I'm making it worse though?
Cheers,
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher ~ Guitars & Other Gear Talk