RORY GALLAGHER Instruments / Gear Sale

Well that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming

Re: RORY GALLAGHER Instruments / Gear Sale

Postby tonetanner » 18 Apr 2012, 19:25

I wish! I might just go down and check out the Bonamassa's or Marr's that might be mixing it with the plebs. Unfortunately, I have to pay my tech tomorrow for my electric biscuit work, and fixing up the OMI is next. Then the bass amp. I get GAS quick so who knows though. I tell you this though, if I did ever get hold of something, you'd all be welcome to have a bash on it. :P
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Postby Flamenca » 18 Apr 2012, 21:06

tonetanner wrote:I tell you this though, if I did ever get hold of something, you'd all be welcome to have a bash on it. :P
TT

Well said TT. Me too ... ;) ;) :D
Flamenca

Postby folkdeejay » 19 Apr 2012, 09:20

tonetanner wrote:I think Rory would probably be disappointed if he suspected he was being treated more like a god than a working musician on this issue.
Daniel / Donal are doing the right thing, and they deserve a little more respect and credit that some people have given them over this.
The equipment on sale is probably no better than in many local guitar shops, and hopefully that will put some 'private collectors' off. Maybe some fans / players will actually (possibly first the first time in history!) get hold of a decent bit of gear that will get used and seen by ordinary folk like us!.
Would anyone really begrudge me getting hold of an AC50 combo?
TT

Assuming you think I have shown the Gallaghers a lack respect, well I disagree - to clarify my comments, my main grumble is simply about the logistics of the sale - if they have decided to sell stuff, it is theirs to sell, I just feel that the timing/methodology is a bit poor.

It seems to me that the opportunity for "ordinary folk" to get hold of " a bit of decent gear" is limited by the process being used to sell this kit.

If anything, it could be said the lack of a list, late notice of a viewing, no online descriptions/images etc etc is actually a lack of respect for the many fans who don't live in London.
folkdeejay

Postby Flamenca » 19 Apr 2012, 11:24

Hi Everyone

Here are the details:

Fender Lead Black £5,000
Fender Strat £10,000
Fender La Brea £2,000 (hands off that's mine :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - Actually as long as it goes to a good home, I'll be happy ;) )
Gibson L6 Natural £4,000
Gibson MM Sunburst £2,500

Vox AC30 (4 of them) £4,950 each
Fender Delux £2,000
Fender Pro £5,000
Fender Twin £20,000
Marshal Combo 50W £2,000
Magnatone Prof 190 £2,000
Ampeg VT40 £1,500
Flamenca

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Apr 2012, 12:56

Flamenca wrote:Actually as long as it goes to a good home, I'll be happy

Hi Flamenca,
I'm surprised you and Tonetanner have not posted and commented yet on the proposed "Rory Gallagher School of Music topic"? Being as you're both passionate Rory fans and musicians. Wanting a good home, for the rest Rory's unsold musical stock of instruments and gear after this sale?
Jay Jay

Postby Flamenca » 19 Apr 2012, 13:27

Jay Jay wrote:
Flamenca wrote:Actually as long as it goes to a good home, I'll be happy

Hi Flamenca,
I'm surprised you and Tonetanner have not posted and commented yet on the proposed "Rory Gallagher School of Music topic"? Being as you're both passionate Rory fans and musicians. Wanting a good home, for the rest Rory's unsold musical stock of instruments and gear after this sale?

Mixed feelings on this one JayJay. I know how tough it is in the music industry at the moment, because I work in it.
I'm not sure a dedicated Rory Music School could withstand the economic pressure. I think it might be better to try for a named Chair in an existing music school such as the Cork School of Music. Rory had a connection to it and it is part of the Institute of Technology where I believe his uncle Jimmy was the Principal. Rory was self-taught and didn't study classical music, so a performing arts place would probably be better suited than a University ...
Flamenca

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Apr 2012, 14:02

Flamenca wrote:Rory was self-taught and didn't study classical music, so a performing arts place would probably be better suited than a University ...

These last two posts should be on the Rory Gallagher School of Music topic .. JimLED can you do that for me ..

My vision of this Rory Gallagher school of music is nothing like you're suggesting it should be. It would be more accessible for mainly the average young girls and guys. To help some of the millions of unemployed and others.
Most musicians I know in famous bands and tribute bands in the last 50 years are self taught as Rory. It would be more like a musicians help drop in centre. For as I said on this topic. The musicians that have played for many years like you and TT, to teach and pass on their experience and knowledge of all musical techniques, applied to a chosen instrument.

Not by looking at the dots on a music sheet .. but by touch and ear ;)
Jay Jay

Postby tonetanner » 19 Apr 2012, 15:52

Apologies - been a bit slack reading all the threads - I'll get on to it now.
Anyhoo - good point folkdeejay.
Thanks for the list flamenca - 'fraid those prices count me out though. :cry:
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Re: Rory Gallagher Instrument Sale

Postby SUBY1974 » 19 Apr 2012, 19:14

deuce wrote:Jeez, what a coincidence. Only yesterday night we discussed at home about exactly that.... what it would be like if there were some of Rory´s maybe lesser known gear for sale.
And I said no way they´re gonna put anything up for sale, just to read this now.... I am gobsmacked really. Dunno what to think about that....my boyfriend will be thrilled though :D

Yeah strange sychronicity here! x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 19 Apr 2012, 19:16

Not happy about the selling of Rory's gear but I support completely the idea of a Rory Gallagher School of Music. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher ~ Guitars & Other Gear Talk