RORY GALLAGHER Instruments / Gear Sale

Well that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming

Re: RORY GALLAGHER Instruments / Gear Sale

Postby eno » 18 Apr 2012, 00:05

Sigh...I want to adopt one his JMP50 Marshall amps :)
"aint no use to change the way I am"
eno

Re: Rory Gallagher Instrument Sale

Postby maapji » 18 Apr 2012, 08:56

JimLED wrote:Well...

what do you think gonna be next? Rory's t-shirts and chequered shirts? Just a thought..

If I recall correctly, someone in the forum wrote that Rory's shirts were passed on to charity.
maapji

Postby deuce » 18 Apr 2012, 10:38

Jay Jay wrote:Maybe the sale of these Rory instruments/ gear is to raise the money for the final agreement to Mr Learner in the States for the copyrights and all film footage for " TASTE LIVE @ THE ISLE OF WIGHT " ?

Yeah, right, that could be an explanation, I´d like to think that´s the reason for the sale...

maapji wrote:If I recall correctly, someone in the forum wrote that Rory's shirts were passed on to charity.

I´ve read that here too.
...my heart´s in trouble, my soul´s on fire...
deuce

Postby JimLED » 18 Apr 2012, 11:22

thank you for article, Deuce!
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby folkdeejay » 18 Apr 2012, 12:45

Some info about emailing your enquiry - not the best news, I'm afraid.

I sent a clearly worded enquiry yesterday, and yet over 24 heours later, and now with just one day left before the viewing/sale, I have had NO REPLY. I did not get a rebound message, so it is fair to assume it got there...sent to sales@newkingsroadguitars.co.uk. Copy of the email below.

Hi,

I am interested in some items that may be in this sale - specifically amplification, but also possibly guitars/pedals etc

Please could you supply a list of items, and how "distance" buyers can register interest/buy an item.

Many Thanks

David

I AM SEMI-SERIOUS ABOUT ONE OF THE AMPS, SUBJECT TO THE PRICE... and yet, not a peep. As a Rory fan/advocate since 1978, I am starting to feel quite bitter about the whole thing. :evil:

Quite apart from the short notice, the lack of access to the sale via a site such as ebay and the lack of any information on this site about what is actually included, the shop website also has no mention of the sale, which would have been the obvious place to register interest / download a pdf of the equipment list.

These things are really not hard, and cost virtually nothing to do , so the only conclusion I can make is that they are, therefore, not important enough to bother organising properly by the Gallagher Estate.

I suspect they are happy to sell whatever they can, for however much they get, to the London "crowd".... and tough luck to the tens of thousands of Rory fans further away. :(
folkdeejay

Postby Flamenca » 18 Apr 2012, 14:01

Hi Folkdeejay

I've just spoken to Rick again and they have been deluged by an email mountain, but promise to get back to everyone asap.
He is currently typing up the list with details of all of the stuff on it.
This will go on the website as soon as possible.

Best
Flamenca
Flamenca

Postby folkdeejay » 18 Apr 2012, 15:51

Flamenca wrote:Hi Folkdeejay

I've just spoken to Rick again and they have been deluged by an email mountain, but promise to get back to everyone asap.
He is currently typing up the list with details of all of the stuff on it.
This will go on the website as soon as possible.

Best
Flamenca

OK- Thanks for the update.

However, I will say again, the attempt to involve "distance" buyers still all seems very last minute and tokenistic.

The equipment has all been checked / serviced according to the info here, so a list should have been ready to go assuming they know what they got to sell and there is absolutely no reason - other than poor planning - that the guy in the shop should be left to type it up today, following (surprise surprise) an email rush.

The technicians will have been working on these items for weeks and weeks, so it must be reasonable to ask :

* Why is a list not available ?
* Why was the list not then published here ? (If necessary, along with a "more details/dates to follow" message so people could prepare in a meaningful way)
* Why announce a viewing with just three days notice ? This is almost a snub to anyone who lives/works outside London - ie the majority of Rory fans.

Whilst I have no idea why the Gallagher family are selling this kit, if it is for financial reasons (or to ease the future storage/upkeep costs - which amounts to the same thing) Whatever the reasons, it seems to be a botched operation so far.

Hopefully things will clear up a bit.
folkdeejay

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Apr 2012, 17:19

folkdeejay wrote:Whilst I have no idea why the Gallagher family are selling this kit, if it is for financial reasons (or to ease the future storage/upkeep costs - which amounts to the same thing) Whatever the reasons, it seems to be a botched operation so far.

Hopefully things will clear up a bit.

As I've put on other topic I hope this makes things clearer why there is this sale of Rory's gear ..

Daniel Gallagher ..

The event tomorrow is a preview of some the instruments, the shop isn't accepting any offers there and then. The guitar shop will be updating their website and other online sales sources so that anyone who wishes to can enquire and make an offer on the instruments, there's plenty of time.
As mentioned in the website news piece the instruments we are selling are not part of Rory's main collection, the ones that would feature in an exhibition or museum showing are being kept. We are also looking at certain places such as music schools etc where we can donate a few instruments as well. the
I'd ask that fans remember that these instruments have had to be stored, maintained and insured for nearly 17 years since Rory's passing and that the main collection that will stay with us carries heavy costs, especially with the recent insurance valuations and premiums that have been placed on some of the main instruments.

All the best,

Daniel
Jay Jay

Postby tonetanner » 18 Apr 2012, 17:56

I think Rory would probably be disappointed if he suspected he was being treated more like a god than a working musician on this issue.
Daniel / Donal are doing the right thing, and they deserve a little more respect and credit that some people have given them over this.
The equipment on sale is probably no better than in many local guitar shops, and hopefully that will put some 'private collectors' off. Maybe some fans / players will actually (possibly first the first time in history!) get hold of a decent bit of gear that will get used and seen by ordinary folk like us!.
Would anyone really begrudge me getting hold of an AC50 combo?
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Postby maapji » 18 Apr 2012, 18:21

tonetanner wrote:Would anyone really begrudge me getting hold of an AC50 combo?

Everyone is free to sell or purchase whatever they like...at the end of the day it's nobody's business.
By the way, you have to post a picture of your new amp if your bid gets accepted! ;) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
maapji

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher ~ Guitars & Other Gear Talk