RORY GALLAGHER Instruments / Gear Sale

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Re: RORY GALLAGHER Instruments / Gear Sale

Postby TimJ » 30 Jun 2012, 18:10

Well ..a few questions there..let me know if I don't covering them all !

The Rory Telecaster I've acquired is the Cherry Satin finish one that's still pictured on Rick's New Kings Road Vintage Guitar site. It's not ever been seen on gigs and its difficult to find any reference to it as far as what it was actually used for. In answer to the authenticity question. I have a written receipt from Rick stating he has sold it to me on behalf of Strange Music and the guitar is from the collection of Rory Gallagher. So I suppose unless Donal or Daniel start issuing 'certificates' from the Estate - this is as good as it gets. I have of course filed away this original receipt. As for the prices...agreed..they are high in today's climate. I really went to New Kings Road with the intention of buying an AC30. However, my dear wife - plus others guitarists I gig with - said £5K was a tad over the top for an ancient Vox AC30. Having 'melted' one in the 1960's myself..I relunctantly agreed. And as I want to gig the gear - I was going to have to carry spares around everywhere just in case I smelt burning !!! I ran with a Fender 1970s Tele for 9months on the road in the States in 1977 and I like the feel. This Rory axe was more than likely used for slide work as the action was high and the intonation a mile out. However the wonderfully natural overdrive tones from make it irresistable not to use 'straight' on some Rory blues style songs. It is totally different to most Telecasters. If any of you would like me to bring it to a gig you're doing just shout...I travel the UK quite a bit. We can let it rip for all to enjoy once more....
TimJ

Postby tonetanner » 30 Jun 2012, 20:47

Well that was me after one too many. I saw yours and thought 'I've seen that on the paris show'. Just had another look - its not is it! :oops:
Anyway, I'd love to see / play it - I'll keep my eyes out for you near me. Maybe I'll bring my OMI (that I think is 'signed' by one of the Dopyeras) and do a tune!
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Postby TimJ » 02 Jul 2012, 13:25

TT...if there are gig venues near you I can contact - feed me the info & I'll try and get my band in for a Rory evening.
TimJ

Postby tonetanner » 02 Jul 2012, 15:54

Maybe I can go one better.
If you would like to PM me with your fees, maybe I can put you on at the Offenham Village Hall! (with me as support).
It is a great venue, and can pack out (bad boys?). I'm hoping to put another name band on there in November.
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Postby TimJ » 02 Jul 2012, 18:56

Ok TT..have sent you a message. Sounds like a plan !! Would welcome you as support !!
TimJ

Postby Strat59 » 04 Jul 2012, 02:05

Yes the prices are way to high as you can see the only amps that Sold are the more affordable two. I know being owned by Rory makes them very special but all sellers in
the present market have to be realistic. Rick is selling some guitars from Richie Sambora and is providing Certificates of Authenticity with those. If they are asking
those prices for Rory's amps at Very least there should be an accompanying letter from the Estate signed by Donal stating ....... This is to Certify that this Amp / Guitar was owned and used by Rory Gallagher and forms part of his personal estate. Really a Sales Receipt is not good enough. Confirmation has to come from the Estate itself.

I also think by pricing so high and having the items sit not selling it's degrading the legacy of Rory. This is now the second time they have been relisted on Ebay with the same asking price and again they will not sell. The longer this continues the more embarassing it becomes giving people the impression that ..... No one cares about
Rory anymore, even his amps / guitars aren't wanted !

Out of respect to Rory they should organise Certificates of Authenticity for All items for sale signed by Donal & Advertise the fact that they each have a Certificate, this will give potential buyers peace of mind buying items that may not be instantly recognisable as having been used by Rory. It's in no way disrespecting Rick , but it is Standard Practice with sales of this type. Down the track if the item bought is sold again, this Certificate gives the item legitimacy both for the buyer and seller. They should also change the Ebay listing from a Fixed Price to a Buy Now price with Make Offer Option. This gives potential buyers the ability to make a fair and reasonable offer that they can afford, and the Estate can then decide if the offer is acceptable and have the items Sell quickly . The final sale price then isn't disclosed.

Rory deserves the ultimate respect and these items should be positioned price wise and providence wise to sell quickly by the Estate & Dealer. Having them go around and around on Ebay not selling is just plain disrespectful to the memory of Rory IMHO. It was Jimi Hendrix who made that statement to a journalist when asked - "What does it feel like to be the Greatest Guitar Player in the World "........... (Jimi) " I don't know , you'll have to ask Rory Gallagher ! " Come on Donal / Rick get things organised to allow the items to sell immediately , as they should.
Strat59

Postby folkdeejay » 04 Jul 2012, 14:16

Strat59 wrote:Yes the prices are way to high as you can see the only amps that Sold are the more affordable two. I know being owned by Rory makes them very special but all sellers in
the present market have to be realistic. Rick is selling some guitars from Richie Sambora and is providing Certificates of Authenticity with those. If they are asking
those prices for Rory's amps at Very least there should be an accompanying letter from the Estate signed by Donal stating ....... This is to Certify that this Amp / Guitar was owned and used by Rory Gallagher and forms part of his personal estate. Really a Sales Receipt is not good enough. Confirmation has to come from the Estate itself.

I also think by pricing so high and having the items sit not selling it's degrading the legacy of Rory. This is now the second time they have been relisted on Ebay with the same asking price and again they will not sell. The longer this continues the more embarassing it becomes giving people the impression that ..... No one cares about
Rory anymore, even his amps / guitars aren't wanted !

Out of respect to Rory they should organise Certificates of Authenticity for All items for sale signed by Donal & Advertise the fact that they each have a Certificate, this will give potential buyers peace of mind buying items that may not be instantly recognisable as having been used by Rory. It's in no way disrespecting Rick , but it is Standard Practice with sales of this type. Down the track if the item bought is sold again, this Certificate gives the item legitimacy both for the buyer and seller. They should also change the Ebay listing from a Fixed Price to a Buy Now price with Make Offer Option. This gives potential buyers the ability to make a fair and reasonable offer that they can afford, and the Estate can then decide if the offer is acceptable and have the items Sell quickly . The final sale price then isn't disclosed.

Rory deserves the ultimate respect and these items should be positioned price wise and providence wise to sell quickly by the Estate & Dealer. Having them go around and around on Ebay not selling is just plain disrespectful to the memory of Rory IMHO. It was Jimi Hendrix who made that statement to a journalist when asked - "What does it feel like to be the Greatest Guitar Player in the World "........... (Jimi) " I don't know , you'll have to ask Rory Gallagher ! " Come on Donal / Rick get things organised to allow the items to sell immediately , as they should.

Well Said. I agree 100% with your points about a COA for each item, and also pricing/ebay format.

Surprising the listings were not done to a much higher standard - one of the guitars is described in the spec sheet as a Bass (I assume it was therefore a modified template/previous listing)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RORY-GALLAGHE ... 5ae7da7d47

"Type - Electric Bass" :o :o :?:
folkdeejay

Postby Strat59 » 04 Jul 2012, 16:27

Bass :shock: Yeah they have just used the template for an old listing..... woeful. I'd ask who valued these items ? One further point to my comments , I mentioned the same "asking" price on Ebay....... It's not ! They have them listed at a - Starting Bid - of 4995 :shock: Yet the shop price is 5000. At a Starting Bid of 4995 NO
Buyer will bid as they will be thinking they want well in excess of 4995. In the US the Vintage Market is dead and buried at the moment. Dealers can't move anything and prices have come way down & still are not selling. The bottom line is if the items were priced "right" and being owned by Rory the majority would have gone in the first few days of sale. I come from a Real Estate background and if a house fails to sell in the first week or two it's cosidered dead and the price has to be adjusted downward till you hit the point where you get solid inquiry and a sale. Sitting like this they are going Stale and giving all the impression..... "is something wrong with them , they aren't selling".

Change the listing to - BUY NOW 4995 or Make an Offer Buyers can submit offers and the Estate can choose to accept or reject. You can even tick the box - Reject all
Offers Below ...... and you state the amount below which any offers are automatically rejected by the system requiring the buyer to offer a higher figure.

Having a Starting Bid of that amount is ridiculous. They're not selling at that price so why make that a Starting Price ? :roll: And how hard is it to type and print off
a dozen A4 pages stating....... This is to Certify that this (Brand Name / Serial #) Guitar or this Vox AC-30 Serial # / Fender Tweed Pro /Serial # / Fender Tweed Twin / Serial # .......... was Owned and Played by Rory Gallagher and forms part of his Estate offered for sale as part of the Rory Gallagher Collection through New Kings Road Vintage Guitars. That would take no time to do and would provide all buyers with some Providence for the future.
Strat59

Postby Jay Jay » 04 Jul 2012, 16:50

This Rory Gallagher Fender Telecaster is at a good low starting bid :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RORY-GALLAGHE ... _947wt_803
Jay Jay

Postby Strat59 » 04 Jul 2012, 17:31

Jay Jay wrote:This Rory Gallagher Fender Telecaster is at a good low starting bid :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RORY-GALLAGHE ... _947wt_803

Definitely. It was the amps I was more focusing on price wise. Those prices are not attracting buyers. Better to allow fair and reasonable offer to be made.
But even with the Tele you should get a COA from the Estate to go with it no matter what the price.
Strat59

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk