RORY GALLAGHER Instruments / Gear Sale

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

RORY GALLAGHER Instruments / Gear Sale

Postby BIBI » 16 Apr 2012, 22:39

Hi, Did you see this announcement?

http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/news/2012/04/rory_gallagher_instrument_sale

Rory Gallagher Instrument Sale
April 16th, 2012

Hello,

We are making available for sale a small selection of Rory's spare amplifiers and guitars.
Rory collected a fantastic range of instruments, after being stored away for nearly 17, we feel that the time has come to allow some of his collection to pass on to people who will once again make music with them.
However, we'll retain all of Rory's 'key' instruments - and no, the 'Strat' is not for sale !
We have done (and will continue ) exhibitions with Rory's instruments but even the largest showing at Harrods could only contain 45 elements.
On April 19th there will be a small showing at New Kings Road Guitars, London -
http://www.facebook.com/events/250108195084325/ -
with the first set of amps and guitars available to buy. For more details on the sales please visit
http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk

Best regards from Brussels,
Bibi
BIBI

Re: Rory Gallagher Instrument Sale

Postby tonetanner » 17 Apr 2012, 08:22

Thanks Bibi - amazing news!
Do you have any info on what guitars might be there? There are so many that I would like.
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Postby folkdeejay » 17 Apr 2012, 08:42

I don't know how I feel about this, tbh. :o

"we feel that the time has come to allow some of his collection to pass on to people who will once again make music with them."
Well - in that case, why not send them out on "indefinite loan" (like some artwork) to some of the higher profile music schools - in Manchester that would be The Royal Northern College of Music or Cheethams. There must be similar in Cork, Dublin, London etc etc where a prestigious vintage instrument would be prized and valued.

Or a pro-studio, like Peter Gabriels "Real World" set up - where the instruments and their heritage would also be appreciated (and used) by current recording artists.

I can think of loads of ways that this kit can be "active" again ....that don't involve selling (out) Rorys' proud heritage to the highest bidder. :cry: :?

Where are the proceeds going ? - to Donal, Daniel and the guitar store I assume. Perhaps the income from the back - catalogue, books and dvd's isn''t enough ?

Don't get me wrong - I would LOVE to buy a Rory-owned guitar or amp ..... but it would end up on my wall, never again to be featured in an article like "Rory's Glories" for example, or on display in Rory's native land.

The article was great .....but is also, it seems to me, an article with perfect timing for anyone revving up to flog the family silver ..... :cry:
folkdeejay

Postby Johno123 » 17 Apr 2012, 08:52

I know it's none of my business what they do with Rory's gear but that seems to be an incredible shame...
Johno123

Postby BIBI » 17 Apr 2012, 10:36

Yes indeed, it's none of our business, but I think it should all go to a museum (for instance the Rory Gallagher Library in Cork). We all work very hard to keep Rory's memory alive and now this...I must admit, I have very mixed feelings about that instrument sale :shock: :? :(
Bibi
BIBI

Postby deuce » 17 Apr 2012, 11:07

Jeez, what a coincidence. Only yesterday night we discussed at home about exactly that.... what it would be like if there were some of Rory´s maybe lesser known gear for sale.
And I said no way they´re gonna put anything up for sale, just to read this now.... I am gobsmacked really. Dunno what to think about that....my boyfriend will be thrilled though :D
...my heart´s in trouble, my soul´s on fire...
deuce

Postby JimLED » 17 Apr 2012, 11:32

Johno123 wrote:I know it's none of my business what they do with Rory's gear but that seems to be an incredible shame...

Agreed. Better to give all this stuff to world wide Rory museum.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Leedelta » 17 Apr 2012, 11:45

I am stunned!!
Leedelta

Postby maapji » 17 Apr 2012, 12:19

What's the procedure going to be like anyway? First come, first served? Whoever bids the most? Who determines the price? According to Rory most of his guitars aren't even valuable. Today they are just worth something because they belonged to Rory...otherwise they would have been disposed of a long time ago.
Last edited by maapji on 17 Apr 2012, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
maapji

Postby folkdeejay » 17 Apr 2012, 12:31

the article says its a viewing....but with just 3 days notice, its not much time for anyone interested to make plans. I suspect they will be sold on the night - hopefully not though.

Given these will probably be bought for the history by fans or guitar collectors, i don't see why they aren't profiled in detail on line, and the sale run via this site. There is already a section for the gear. A link to ebay is all that would be required.

There is no real need to "try before you buy" and London is a long way from most Rory fans....the web isn't.
folkdeejay

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk