tortex blue, or not?

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

tortex blue, or not?

Postby alan wainwright » 08 Apr 2012, 04:49

hi everyone, i could do with a little help with a question i can't find the answer to. i'm sure that most of us know that rory used to use herco75 guitar picks. i'm also sure that anyone who has bought any in the last few years, as i have, must realise they can't be the same as the one's that rory used, they just feel to soft. then i read somewhere, that because of a change in the prodution of the hercos, rory started to use dunlop standard tortex. now what i would like to know please, is (A) did rory change to dunlop standard tortex (B) if he did change to tortex, what year did he change, and (C) if he did change to tortex, what colour did he use, was it the blue? i'll be gratefull for any help and advice. i've been a member for a while, but this is my first post. i love rory, i only saw him live once, but that night will stay with me for the rest of my life, he was fantastic, the best gig i've ever been to,and i've been one or two, but none could compare with rory. many thanks, al. p.s. great website, i log on most days, theres so much thats interesting.
alan wainwright

Re: tortex blue, or not?

Postby innuendo » 08 Apr 2012, 12:03

welcome ON THE BOARDS, i'm glad you finally decide to post something. unfortunately i'm only one of those who welcomes you, i can't help you with your question
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby roryfan » 08 Apr 2012, 12:10

Alan

I can't give you a complete answer, but Rory did Use Tortex.

Towards the bottom of this interview of Rory by Vivian Campbell, it says
VIVIAN: What kind of picks do you use?
RORY: Charcoal Herco grey picks. I guess they're called 75 or something.
VIVIAN: I thought you always used heavier picks to get all those split harmonics.
RORY: Yeah, well I would use a slightly thicker one than that. They've actually gone down in quality. They used to be thicker, or at least there was a thicker version of them, but that's all you can get now, at the moment. I do a lot of the split harmonic stuff, too, and I use harder Tortex picks. This would be too soft for me.

see http://www.roryon.com/guitar91.html
john g[/b]
roryfan

Postby Sinner Girl » 08 Apr 2012, 13:33

Very welcome to RoryLand alan wainwright
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby davidduck » 31 Jul 2012, 18:52

I've heard that these would be the closest that you can get these days to the old HERCO picks that Rory used
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... 2r4lAdbHh_

it's the black dunlop nylon 1mm
davidduck

Postby ILY » 25 Oct 2012, 11:40

I use green tortex dunlop big ones,triangle.0.88mm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ILY

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk