Iconic Guitars

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Iconic Guitars

Postby Fast Eddie Nelson » 05 Feb 2012, 23:16

Many guitars become as well known as the guitarists that play them. These instruments seem tho have a life of their own and become priceless in the eyes of the public to whom thet assume an almost mystical dimension.

Please share here the guitars you know and identify immediately, if you want to of course.

I'll go first.


My favourite guitarist prefered axe...

Image
User avatar
Fast Eddie Nelson
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 22 Aug 2010, 15:57
Location: Barreiro - Portugal

Re: Iconic Guitars

Postby asdesas » 06 Feb 2012, 05:22

That's a tough one, Eddie. To me, Rory's Strat is the ultimate iconic guitar because countless people around the world can look at it and say, "THAT's Rory Gallagher's Strat." But think of all the other Strats out there... Clapton's Blackie, and David Gilmour's black Strat, for instance. Would as many people be able to look at those two guitars and identify them instantly with the player? I doubt it. There are a lot of battered black Strats out there, know what I mean? Or Jimmy Page's Les Paul? What makes it instantly, recognizably THE Jimmy Page Les Paul? Maybe a close runner up is Jimmy's doubleneck SG... but again, it's the type of guitar that people associate with him, not an actual instrument that jumps out and says, "This is Jimmy Page's actual "Stairway to Heaven' doubleneck."

And who would be able to look at an Olympic White Strat and say instantly, "THAT's the one Hendrix played at Woodstock"? (There are probably a hundred so-called "genuine Hendrix Woodstock Strats" out there.)

Some that come to mind, though Rory's is Number 1 for me:

Brian May's Red Special for sure (neck and neck, so to speak, with Rory's Strat)

Jeff Beck's Fender Broadcaster, with the arm cut he put in it, and which he will forever kick himself for trading away to Seymour Duncan

Paul McCartney's number 1 Hofner Beatle Bass--the one with the Beatles set list still taped to it which I think is languishing in a vault in Japan

Prince's "Cloud" guitar

Bootsy Collins' "Star" bass


To my mind, no individual guitar is more intimately linked, and more instantly identifiable with an artist, than Rory's Strat.


Big food for thought indeed.

Regards,
Richard
User avatar
asdesas
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 13:47
Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Re: Iconic Guitars

Postby Yoyodyne » 06 Feb 2012, 07:56

The fact that Rory bought his Strat when he was only fifteen years old and used it as his main guitar for the rest of his life says a lot about the man.
Yoyodyne
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 18:20
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: Iconic Guitars

Postby tonetanner » 06 Feb 2012, 09:01

This one is pretty cool.
TT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
what do you think of that?
User avatar
tonetanner
 
Posts: 281
Joined: 22 Nov 2011, 21:17
Location: Evesham, South Midlands, UK

Re: Iconic Guitars

Postby Fast Eddie Nelson » 06 Feb 2012, 10:08

asdesas wrote:Brian May's Red Special for sure (neck and neck, so to speak, with Rory's Strat)

To my mind, no individual guitar is more intimately linked, and more instantly identifiable with an artist, than Rory's Strat.


I have to disagree, i think probably Brian May's Red Special has to be the most identifiable of all, simply because, although today it's massed produced, it was for a long time a unique guitar in the whole world.
Image

How about this one...?
Image
User avatar
Fast Eddie Nelson
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 22 Aug 2010, 15:57
Location: Barreiro - Portugal

Re: Iconic Guitars

Postby asdesas » 06 Feb 2012, 16:37

Fast Eddie Nelson wrote:
asdesas wrote:
I have to disagree, i think probably Brian May's Red Special has to be the most identifiable of all, simply because, although today it's massed produced, it was for a long time a unique guitar in the whole world.

How about this one...?
Image


Haha you are right of course, but I unabashedly admit a Rory bias! I put Brian and Rory on the same level in many ways as fantastic players and fantastic human beings.

And for sure the SRV Strat is a contender, but I also admit (very quietly for fear of reprisals) that although I appreciate SRV's talent, he just never "grabbed" me, so I didn't often think of him as much as I do other players.

Maybe Randy Rhoads' polka dot V also?

Zakk's Bullseye LP?

Regards,
Richard
User avatar
asdesas
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 13:47
Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Re: Iconic Guitars

Postby innuendo » 06 Feb 2012, 16:49

i agree with you about red special. to me that's the most iconic instrument ever! rory's strat is 2nd and macca's hofner bass 3rd.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
User avatar
innuendo
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 01:25
Location: Kickback City

Re: Iconic Guitars

Postby Fast Eddie Nelson » 06 Feb 2012, 16:57

asdesas wrote:
Haha you are right of course, but I unabashedly admit a Rory bias! I put Brian and Rory on the same level in many ways as fantastic players and fantastic human beings.

And for sure the SRV Strat is a contender, but I also admit (very quietly for fear of reprisals) that although I appreciate SRV's talent, he just never "grabbed" me, so I didn't often think of him as much as I do other players.

Maybe Randy Rhoads' polka dot V also?

Zakk's Bullseye LP?

Regards,
Richard


Yes, Brian is a great inspiration also as a musician and a human being...

Not meaning to offend anyone, of course, i think Stevie Ray can get preety boring sometimes... He just wasn't as creative as many other guitarists... Just sayin'...

Randy and Zakk, good call.

And how about this one...?

Image
User avatar
Fast Eddie Nelson
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 22 Aug 2010, 15:57
Location: Barreiro - Portugal

Re: Iconic Guitars

Postby Fast Eddie Nelson » 06 Feb 2012, 16:58

innuendo wrote:i agree with you about red special. to me that's the most iconic instrument ever! rory's strat is 2nd and macca's hofner bass 3rd.


Somehow i knew you would agree... :D
User avatar
Fast Eddie Nelson
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 22 Aug 2010, 15:57
Location: Barreiro - Portugal

Re: Iconic Guitars

Postby innuendo » 06 Feb 2012, 17:36

Fast Eddie Nelson wrote:
innuendo wrote:i agree with you about red special. to me that's the most iconic instrument ever! rory's strat is 2nd and macca's hofner bass 3rd.


Somehow i knew you would agree... :D

really? what gave me away? :lol:
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
User avatar
innuendo
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 01:25
Location: Kickback City

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest