Tore Down - Tab

Well that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming

Tore Down - Tab

Postby Lcid » 02 Oct 2011, 02:29

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. Does anyone know where I can find the tab to " Tore Down? " Also I'm looking to buy a strat and was wondering which strat forum members would recommend. I've heard good things about the Kenny Wayne Shepherd strat but have small hands and think the neck may be to big. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Lcid

Re: Tore Down - Tab

Postby Jay Jay » 02 Oct 2011, 10:56

Hi Lcid, a very warm welcome to Rory's forum
I'm sure one of the many guitarist members here can help you find this tab and suggest a guitar for you ..
I'm going to move this post for you to the "GUITARS ~ Amps ~ Gear Talk" section on menu below to help you more ;)

Good luck Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby mike6262 » 02 Oct 2011, 20:46

Depends on what tone your looking for. I would get a standard Strat either American if you got the dough, or a Mexican Strat for a great alternative to an American made Strat. I gig with a Mexican Strat, because your gigging rig is going to take a beating. But the American Strats do come out with me to alot of gigs where I can keep an eye on my gear and if I am transporting my own gear. I would think hard about getting signature Strats, most are very expensive, and your going to sound like you no matter what guitar you buy. I own a Eric Johnson Strat, it is my main guitar, and I sound nothing like Eric Johnson in fact Eric would not make my short list of favorite guitarists. Its just a great Strat regardless of the name attached. Point being buy quality gear, that sounds good to you, if it happens to be a Kenny Wayne Shepard model thats fine, but don't buy it BECAUSE it is a Kenny Wayne Shepard model. And your right the neck on his Strat is fairly big. I love big necks they sound great. As far as Rory's tone goes I have been trying to get that for years on a multitude of guitars it is an awesome tone that still eludes me.
Good Luck
mike6262

Postby Lcid » 02 Oct 2011, 21:48

Thanks for the advice. The KWS strat interested me because of the pickups, fret size and fretboard radius. Can you offer any help looking for the "Tore Down" tab?
Lcid

Postby bottleneckblues77 » 02 Oct 2011, 23:19

I play on two Classic 60s Player Strats - higher end Mexican Strats basically. They have custom 69 pickups that are a bit milder (i.e. not as hot) as some of the other Strats (particularly the ones with Texas Specials). Another thing I like about them is that they have 12" radius necks rather than the more standard 9.5" (sorry for the use of inches, just what I'm used to) or the classic 7.5" - that means a flatter fretboard and I can play a bit faster on those. The KWS model is a Mexican model that has pickups similar to the Texas Specials, jumbo frets and 12" radius fretboard. I played one before finally choosing the 60s Player model (mostly due to the fact that I like the two-point bridge and vintage-style saddles as opposed to the Graph Techs on the KWS - also I like the custom 69s better than the hotter pickups on the KWS). If you want a more raucous tone (approaching the Texas - i.e. SRV tone) - the KWS will do fine. As for small hands - I have smaller hands and have no problem with the KWS model. I agree with mike6262 about the American Strats and just picking one that plays the best for you and ignore the signature on the model. I damn near played every Strat in the shop before picking mine. Also, make sure you want the Strat sound and don't ignore the LPs, Teles or other brands for that matter. (as for copying Rory's tone - just go for the feel. The guy had a magic elixir for tone).
bottleneckblues77

Postby asdesas » 03 Oct 2011, 00:44

Hi Lcd,

A very warm welcome. My Strat has a skinny neck (which is one of the things I DON"T like about it--I'm with ya, Mike, give me a "baseball bat" neck every time; in fact, just peel the bark off the tree trunk and put frets in its place. Anyway, I got mine in the mid-90s; it was called the Deluxe Super Strat, which has 7 pickup options instead of the usual 5. I think it may now be called the Deluxe Player's Strat. They turn up on ebay and Fender might still make the Player's Strat. The neck and middle pickups lean toward vintage with the bridge a little hotter, so it's great for blues, and the 2 extra sounds are pretty handy. It's a good idea to go to a store and play as many as you can; even within the individual models you'll find Strats that feel very different; it's the nature of the beast i think.

As for Rory, indeed he had the magic elixir; i think his secret was, hmmmm... that he was Rory Gallagher! But you'd be surprised how close you can come to the character of the sound by pushing your Strat through a simple (cranked) boost pedal into a tube amp (especially on pickup positions 2 and 4)--you get so much control over sounds just using the guitar's volume knob.

Keep us posted on your search!

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby mac » 03 Oct 2011, 11:15

Hi lcid, i learned tore down from the beat club sessions dvd, the camera work is good enough to see whats happening.
I dont know how to put tab up on the net, but if its this version we could probably talk through it.
mac

Postby mike6262 » 03 Oct 2011, 15:58

Good point made by Richard. Whatever guitar you get, invest in a tube amp, you will not be sorry. I have tried and owned a few transistor amps Line 6, Vox, Fender, Peavey, Crate I hate them, not even suitable for a practice amp in my opinion. I have never tried to gig with a transistor amp and never will. To my ears transistor amps sound like speakers in a box, no character. I would also think twice about multi effects untis, my experience is they do alot of things but they don't do alot of things great. I have 3 mutli effects units, in the closet, where they will probably stay. They will be on Craigslist soon maybe trade them for some gear.
Let us know what you decide on.
As for the Tore Down tab, I have only ever seen Eric Clapton's version tabbed out, it was in a guitar mag I think. If I were you I would watch video and listen to recordings figure out the key and the main licks. Play around with it, eventually you will get it, don't be obsessed with a note for note recreation of it. Break it down learn the intro, verse, chorus, solo. Small chunks at a time. Learning it by ear will do more for your playing than tab ever will, I stay away from tab, of course I came up playing way before tab was around. I learned off vinyl by slowing it down with my thumb on the side of the turntable,LOL.
mike6262

Postby mike6262 » 03 Oct 2011, 18:59

One more piece of advice on Strats. Play it unplugged, no amp, nothing. If it sounds good unplugged good chance it sounds great plugged into an amp. If not, it will never sound great plugged in. I heard this from Robin Trower many years ago, sure other guys have said it too. It has never let me down when it comes to Strats and many other electrics. You should also feel it resonate against your body as you play it unplugged. I think it is the most important step in buying a Strat, if it sounds bad unplugged grab another.
mike6262

Postby eno » 03 Oct 2011, 20:35

Hi Lcid, the version of Toredown as seen on Montruex 1975 is a twelve bar shuffle thing in key of E. I pounded out that shuffle for twenty years. It was an epithany seeing it applied by Rory in that song when I saw that Dvd many years later.
For the one as shown by Mac. There's a Lightnin' Slim Hopkins lick there, strings 123 with a triangle shape finger pattern - middle peak towards nut. You slide it from 2nd fret up to 4th preceeded by banging a bass note E on the 6th string. Dig deep for the bits that conect it back to the start again. Watch the vid & you'll see where to go for the 4th(A). Use your imagination to find the 5th(B). All just blues in E.

Study the shuffle grasshopper - play it a million times.

My guitar is made up from junk by myself & sounds way better than it should.
"aint no use to change the way I am"
eno

Next

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • GUITARS • GEAR TALK