Rory's Bottle Neck Question?

Well that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming

Rory's Bottle Neck Question?

Postby Rosemarie » 21 Jul 2011, 19:42

Rory explained that the steel was good for electric guitar and the glass bottle neck for acoustic (hope I have that the right way round), but what was the reason for Rory placing it on different fingers? Occasionally it is on the pinky (little finger) and other times on the ring finger. Was there any particular reason for doing so?
Last edited by Rosemarie on 21 Jul 2011, 19:55, edited 2 times in total.
Rosemarie

Re: Rory's Bottle Neck Question?

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Jul 2011, 19:53

Rosemarie wrote:Rory explained that the steel was good for electric guitar and the glass bottle neck for acoustic (hope I have that the right way round), but why did Rory change on which finger to place it. Occasionally it is on the pinky (little finger) and other times on the ring finger. Was there any particular reason for doing so?

Rosemarie, this will get folks thinking and pinkying :lol:

I think it was the other way around with the glass with the electric on IT 74 film Rory demonstrates?
Don't now why he changed his slide finger though at times. Maybe I'll add this topic on the Guitar forum. Barry Barnes will probably know??

Good question :)
Jay Jay

Postby bullfrogger » 21 Jul 2011, 20:21

Phil Hoolahan will know this - Is he a member??
bullfrogger

Postby onthetiles » 21 Jul 2011, 20:59

Hi, if you put the slide on your ring finger you can use the pinky to dampen the strings slightly. If you put it on the little finger you use the heel of your right hand to dampen; thats a slightly different technique. It's all about what you are playing at the time and the mood you are in. There is no golden rule.

If you don't dampen the strings you get sustain and then too many notes ringing out over the top of each other. It gets a little messy. If you listen to walking blues you can see it needs to be short and choppy to get the abrupt walking feel. Of course a different song might want a different feel.

The thing is the difference to the sound is negligible. Rory was, as we all know, a consumate slide player and no doubt played it as he felt it at the time. He wouldn't look at another player and think 'oh he plays it like that so I will aswell'. I reckon we all know RG would rather extemporise. Ask any slide player and they will say that one week steel is best, the next week glass is best, but in the end it's what you feel that counts. Cheers.
onthetiles

Postby bullfrogger » 22 Jul 2011, 07:33

i got a reply from Phil Hoolahan,

Phil Hoolahan
Its mostly just a preference Steve and how the player feels at comfort, a lesser player would maybe depend on what finger they are best without. pre mine I personally liked the 3rd so the pinky had to work harder and the slide is more precise but dosent get right up the neck as easy as the pinky. In Rorys case probally what finger he slipped it on he went with LOL BTW its the other way around metal to metal glass to electric

Hope it helps..

Steve
bullfrogger

Postby JimLED » 23 Jul 2011, 01:43

Irish Tour 74.

Rory at 45:33 made an explonation about bottle neck on his fingers. (Crowley's shop)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby eno » 25 Jul 2011, 01:40

Seems to me that slide on the pinky liberates the use of the much stronger fourth finger for fretwork & bending in between the slide licks. I like slide on the fourth finger as it gives better control & not rattle around so loose on my finger. In the 4th finger mode pinky starts doing some chord/fretting work which is good training. So much to learn...
"aint no use to change the way I am"
eno

Postby asdesas » 11 Aug 2011, 08:31

I used to put the slide on the ring finger because I felt like I had a little more strength and control than on the pinky, but eventually started using just my pinky so the other three fingers would be free to chord etc. Plus, it once got stuck on my ring finger and it was the devil to get the darn thing off!

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby bottleneckblues77 » 11 Sep 2011, 05:47

I'm trying to build up a better pinky slide technique but I'm mostly a ring finger guy. This "week" (i.e. year or so for me and my playing time) I'm all about ceramic for the electric. One quick tidbit - I went to the current Crowley's in Cork and bought a bronze slide for acoustic work while there hoping for a sprinkling of leftover Rory magic (sadly the slide is cool but the magic has yet to rub off onto me).

-ian
bottleneckblues77

Postby asdesas » 11 Sep 2011, 07:14

It's always the pinky for me, and always metal--I've lost too many ceramic and glass slides by dropping them on concrete floors!

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Next

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • GUITARS • GEAR TALK