A Guitar once Owned by Rory Gallagher.

Well that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming

A Guitar once Owned by Rory Gallagher.

Postby barneybeegood » 16 Jul 2011, 18:32

Hi All, This is my second post and I would like some advice if that is possible. In 1992 my son was given a classical guitar bought by Rory way back pre 1990 in a music shop in East London. It still has the lable on it with the name, address and telephone of the shop. (01 4762435) That shop no longer exists. In 1992 Rory gave that guitar to my Son who was about 6 years old at the time. It came with a tartan gig bag, a tanglewood guitar tuner and an instruction book by Mel Bay publications and was signed by Rory " To Colm, Good luck with the guitar! Best wishes, Rory Gallagher. '92." I used to live near Rory back then and met him a few times in the Hollywood Arms in Chelsea. He had a flat over Barclays Bank opposite what was then St. Stephens Hospital and is now Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. My son gave me these items about 15 years ago as he never learned to play the guitar. My circumstances are such that I listed these items on a popular on line auction site under the above heading but would rather let them go to a genuine Rory enthusiast. That auction has 8 days remaining. Do you have any suggestions? Kevin.
barneybeegood

Re: A guitar once owned by Rory Gallagher.

Postby innuendo » 17 Jul 2011, 10:27

how much are you asking for the guitar?
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Sinner Girl » 18 Jul 2011, 01:37

I can only dream this guitar :( :( :(
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Jul 2011, 21:29

Hi Kevin a very warm welcome to Roryland ..

I got your email rather than email back. I'll answer on here to confirm to Rory fans & folks..
That what I can see of your item to sell it looks pretty genuine to me. The only folk I know who live in the London area though that can completely verify for you is Donal and Daniel Gallagher. If you want maybe I can arrange for you to go to their office?

I do feel your starting price on ebay is a little high though.

Good Luck, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby barneybeegood » 18 Jul 2011, 23:55

Many thanks for that Jay Jay. I will take you up on that offer. I take your point about the starting bid. I will email you my details. Thanks again. Kevin.
barneybeegood

Postby eno » 19 Jul 2011, 00:00

I wish I had such a gift when I was six years old. Still can't complain I live like a king as it is. Thanks for sharing this story Kevin, just out of curiousity is it a steel string or nylon. Hand picked by Rory, it's special.
"aint no use to change the way I am"
eno

Postby barneybeegood » 19 Jul 2011, 00:13

Hi Eno, 3 Steel and 3 nylon. Yes he was lucky but too young at the time to appreciate it and now barely remembers the occasion. Many thanks. Kevin.
barneybeegood

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Jul 2011, 13:37

Hey Kevin,

Looking at it again, it would be quite some prized Rory memorabilia to have, as a "guitarist Rory fan". Also it's a shame Rory didn't sign the guitar itself..

Really you could do with another Colm buying it ..
I've put a calling card out on my facebook page to all Colm's .. with the link to ebay ;)

Cheers, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Re: A Guitar once Owned by Rory Gallagher.

Postby barneybeegood » 19 Jul 2011, 17:00

Hi Jay Jay, Many thanks. I would not have thought of that. I am a bit of an amature when it comes to the internet. If Rory had signed the guitar also, I'm sure it would have rubbed off by now since I have played it for the last 19 years. I will email you later with all my details and the story of how it came about that Rory gave Colm those items. Thanks again. Kevin.
barneybeegood

Re: A Guitar once Owned by Rory Gallagher.

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Jul 2011, 17:45

Kevin,
I've put the calling card and link on the Rory Gallagher official facebook page also with over 54000 members ;)
Jay Jay

Next

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • GUITARS • GEAR TALK