any Tele experts in here?

Well that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming

any Tele experts in here?

Postby WilliamB » 19 Apr 2010, 11:50

Are there any knowledgeable telecaster experts in here? I'm buliding a tele and could do to pick someones brains about scale length, cheers.
WilliamB

Re: any Tele experts in here?

Postby RoryButler » 19 Apr 2010, 19:55

25.5" usually.
RoryButler

Postby eno » 20 Apr 2010, 00:54

You'll be needing this.. http://terrydownsmusic.com/Archive/tele ... g_revD.pdf

The question of the scale length is measured 648mm (25.5") from the nut to string contact of first string saddle. If you drill the body as per the drawing you should end up on target.

I used this plan above to scratch build my Tele, it was born from a challenge to build a Tele for $100 or less. So one cold morning last year I went out to where a pine log had been laying for five years & chainsawed myself a slab of body wood. Everything you can see on that guitar is hand made except the neck & tuners. It has a strat type pickup mounted in the traditional Tele bridge plate - which was made from scrap metal, 3x motorbike taillight lense screws & some brass rod from a toilet cistern. The strap hooks were from a pair of button front jeans.
I love this guitar...

The unusual look of the wood is a freak of nature, something about leaving the log out in the elements & saving it at the last moment. It's been dyed amber/yellow with acrylic clear top coat.
"aint no use to change the way I am"
eno

Postby RoryButler » 20 Apr 2010, 08:27

Nice Tele build, Eno.
My only concern would be as to whether or not the wood is correctly dried?

But as long as it plays well ;)
RoryButler

Postby eno » 26 Apr 2010, 03:24

Thanks Rory, yeah the heat was on with that wood, whilst it had been 'seasoned' for five years it was also saturated in rain water. I had a deadline of about 8 weeks to finish it. The first couple of weeks the slab sat beside the fireplace, I played lots of blues etc... to it as it dried. It was terrifying as I anticipated warping & cracking, which it did to some degree. I sort of cut my around any issues when cutting the body out, the body still has a slight warp below the bridge line or lower side of body. Any defects just kind of add to this babies mojo, so many moments riding on the edge of destruction - it's the first guitar I've made. Plays & sounds great and getting better with time.
eno

Postby catscratch » 26 Apr 2010, 08:46

Eno, I am in awe. The rest of us mortals are unworthy :!: :mrgreen: Makes Brian May look like a plonker with a Makita ;)

Actually there is no reason why this axe shouldn't sound the duck's guts. Except the pine (as good as it looks - gotta luv amber finish, but a reknowed tone wood) :?: , but the toilet cistern brass is pure tone :D

Seriously U S D Man :!: :!: :!:
catscratch

Postby catscratch » 26 Apr 2010, 15:08

Supplimentary question: How did you fix the jeans buttons to the guitar? Possibly the most inspired idea since the cistern brass ( and marginally more sanitary too!).
catscratch

Postby RoryButler » 26 Apr 2010, 17:04

Eno, great job as it's your first guitar!
Better than some projects I've seen that have been people's 2nd+ guitar builds!
RoryButler

Postby eno » 26 Apr 2010, 21:05

catscratch wrote:Supplimentary question: How did you fix the jeans buttons to the guitar? Possibly the most inspired idea since the cistern brass ( and marginally more sanitary too!).

I bored a hole straight thru it, hard to hold it firm while doing so & it got hot - ouch, then tapped a screw in it & cranked it into the wood.

I think Fender used pine initially on the Broadcasters.

I'm thinking about fitting something like a Seymour Duncan vintage pickup in the bridge at some stage. I've got a Rio Grande 'Dirty Harry' P90 style pup at the moment - they aint joking, it's dirty!

Also just like to add I'm no Tele expert as this is my first Tele.
eno

Postby rifles » 02 May 2010, 19:09

Blinding Guitar Eno Derek
rifles

Return to Rory Gallagher ~ Guitars & Other Gear Talk