Rory Gallagher '61 Fender Sunburst Stratocaster

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Rory Gallagher '61 Fender Sunburst Stratocaster

Postby Jay Jay » 04 Apr 2010, 18:39

Carrying on from the Rory Gallagher Fender Custom Shop discussion ...

This is a place where you guys and girls can discuss the changes with pictures hopefully ...

How Rory Gallagher's Fender '61 Sunburst Stratocaster changed and stayed by Rory's side constantly throughout his career.

Rockin' on with Rory :)

Question to start off ...

What make were the original tuning pegs / machineheads on the strat, when Rory first bought it from Crowley's in Cork?
Jay Jay

Re: Rory Gallagher '61 Fender Sunburst Stratocaster

Postby battered_strat » 04 Apr 2010, 20:24

Well to start things off, the original tuners were Klusons, which looked like this-

When Rory Bought his Strat in Crowleys it would have looked exactly like this one:

battered_strat

Postby Jay Jay » 04 Apr 2010, 20:59

Thanks for the pictures Liam,
I think my goal now is to get 2 "Rory look Strats" ... One when it was almost new and the other the battered strat as we know now :)
I'm near there with the first. I just want you to do me one of those bodies, preferably a Fender USA, maybe a Mex, to start me off with the second ;)

Btw, Are the frets jumbo or medium jumbo on the strat neck when new?
Jay Jay

Postby battered_strat » 04 Apr 2010, 21:24

no prob! can help you with that no prob. The frets were originally medium and were changed to jumbo at a later date. you can let me know bout the 2nd guitar,do u have my email add?
battered_strat

Postby Jay Jay » 04 Apr 2010, 21:34

Is it still your name and hotmail? Sent me a PM please with it in to confirm if any different ok, thanks, JJ
Last edited by Jay Jay on 04 Apr 2010, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Jay

Postby RoryButler » 04 Apr 2010, 21:47

Jay Jay Joy wrote:Thanks for the pictures Liam,
I think my goal now is to get 2 "Rory look Strats" ... One when it was almost new and the other the battered strat as we know now :)
I'm near there with the first. I just want you to do me one of those bodies, preferably a Fender USA, maybe a Mex, to start me off with the second ;)

Nice goals there, JJ. I'd like to do something similar, but my attention to detail would kill me on that sort of thing!
I wouldn't rest til I had two guitars that would be impossible to tell from real '61 strats. :lol:
One day I'll get a Rory-strat project on it's feet!
RoryButler

Postby battered_strat » 05 Apr 2010, 10:11

here's my most recent work!

battered_strat

Postby battered_strat » 05 Apr 2010, 10:29

Taste wrote:Liam,
Very authentic looking, I am looking forward to seeing the completed guitar, it must be hard work, well done and all the best for the future.

Taste 8-)

Thanks a mill :) it is time consuming but alot of fun seeing the results! cheers
battered_strat

Postby RoryButler » 05 Apr 2010, 12:18

Liam,
Out of curiosity, what is the process you go through when painting/relicing your Rory strats?
I've seen it done in a couple of ways, one being taking a 3-colour sunburst strat and taking off the paint until it matches Rory's.
Another way being masking off most of the guitar, except the areas which would have paint, and painting the sunburst onto that masked body.
Do you use one of those methods, or your own way?

Cheers.
RoryButler

Postby battered_strat » 05 Apr 2010, 12:29

Hi, i have done it both ways, and have experimented with alot of techniques,both are very very time consuming. Most recently though i have managed to get hold of sunburst nitrocellulose paint,so masking is the route i take mostly..and i pay alot of attention to details,ive collected lots of photos of Rory's strat over the years and from all different era's. I even took some photos of it myself from different angles at exhibitions.That guitar fascinates me! :)
battered_strat

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk