Rory's Gretsch Corvette

Well, that song she's humming, could make my guitar start strumming?

Rory's Gretsch Corvette

Postby mock_glh » 03 Sep 2017, 23:57

Hi, I'm new here but I thought I'd start with this. I recently bought a '63 Gretsch Corvette and have modified it to look like the one Rory used. I installed a Kent Armstrong P90 pickup, a set of Ping tuners and a homemade bridge that looks like the one on his. A set of size 13 strings and a Shubb classic brass capo complete the package. In the interest of authenticity however I have a couple of questions about the type of hardware his has. What tuners are on his (I chose Pings for the shape of the knobs) and what is that bridge from? I searched through thousands of bridges on the internet and the closest thing I found was one for a vintage Hofner but it wasn't a close enough match (especially for the price, $120 US). Can anyone here identify these items? The visual reference I used is the "Rory's Glories" video on Youtube. Mine looks just like his.
mock_glh

Re: Rory's Gretsch Corvette

Postby Jay Jay » 14 Sep 2017, 09:42

Hi Mock G.. a warm welcome to this Rory G forum

Congratulations on your purchase of a vintage Gretsch Corvette guitar. I'm envious. I always look on ebay to see if I could pick up a cheap 60's Gretsch Corvette. Loved Rory's sound and slide playing when he used the GC for Bullfrog Blues. I did buy the modern version of this guitar the Gretsch G5135 CVT Electromatic Corvette about 10 years ago. then sold it a couple of years later. Not being a proper guitarist myself I wouldn't know the technical comparison? My friend though whom is a pro artist Riki Massini said that he enjoyed playing this modern version live on stage once. Yet I'm sure your vintage USA version with the Kent Armstrong P90 pickups, must sound much more authentic and nearer to Rory's vibe, for sure.
If you look and scroll here link Rory's guitars http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/archives/guitars on main RG website "instruments" section you can zoom up on Rory's Gretsch Corvette to see more details ;)

Riki Massini playing the Gretsch Electromatic Corvette. Have you a pic of your GC mock?

Riki Gretsch Corvette.jpg

Rory Gretsch Slide.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby mock_glh » 17 Sep 2017, 06:39

Here are a few pics of mine. Another mod I did was to remove the dot inlay from the first fret and fill it with a rosewood plug, as Rory's doesn't have one there. The grey box next to the amp is my homemade "Rangemaster Treble Booster".
corvette 1.jpg
corvette 2.jpg
corvette 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mock_glh

Postby Shin Kicker » 18 Sep 2017, 22:24

Very nice. Can you tell us about your treble booster? That sounds interesting too.
Shin Kicker

Postby mock_glh » 18 Sep 2017, 22:41

I bought the bare PC board on Ebay from a seller in Greece. I then bought the components from Mammoth Electronics and the case from a local store. All total it cost me about $50.00 US. It really brightens up whatever I plug into it. Here is a pic of the PC board
mock_glh

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ GUITARS + Other Guitars + Gear Talk