RORY GALLAGHER ~ at the shooting GALLERY

Try to fit into the picture you can't get inside the frame

Re: RORY GALLAGHER ~ at the shooting GALLERY

Postby Irishcelticgirl » 24 May 2013, 09:47

In Ireland, Flamenca, children have their first communion pre-teens.
Irishcelticgirl

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 May 2013, 22:00

Irishcelticgirl wrote:In Ireland, Flamenca, children have their first communion pre-teens.

Hi Irishcelticgirl,

In the photo that Flamenca posted Donal's just a little guy- looks like a more formal pic than just any Sunday. He's too young there for it to be Confirmation. My daughter's first communion was when she was around 9 or 10, that's here in the U.S., and that would have been the early 1990's- but the age at which First Communion happens has more to do with Cannon Law than the local diocese's rules, The Church makes those rules and all Catholics pretty much follow them around the world, and it changes with the times. My mom is up there in years, she's in a nursing home now, but she was barely old enough to understand the concept for her first communion- probably around six years old- that would have been in the 1930's. Nowadays the thinking is the child is supposed to be old enough to grasp the philosophy behind it, past the "age of reason" or "age of discretion."

That photo looks to be taken around the same time as the other picture Flamenca posted of Donal and Rory- the one where Donal is wearing a cowboy costume. Their mother is standing with them. And Flamenca, if you're reading this, I think maybe I figured out why Rory doesn't look all that pleased there- I bet that cowboy outfit used to be Rory's but he outgrew it- so little brother got to wear it instead! Pure speculation on my part ;)

-RobertaSparrow
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 26 May 2013, 01:29

Ladies, I'll have to take your word for it. I haven't even been christened so I don't know for sure ;) I was actively raised atheist. I find the whole ritual thing amusingly archaic like morris dancing :lol: Sorry if I've offended anyone ... If you're wondering what Rory made of that, he was slightly surprised but not afraid of my views. Regarding the Roy Rogers outfit, I think you're probably right! I reckon it probably was Rory's and he outgrew it, then it became Donal's 8-)
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 May 2013, 02:52

Flamenca wrote:Ladies, I'll have to take your word for it. I haven't even been christened so I don't know for sure ;) I was actively raised atheist. I find the whole ritual thing amusingly archaic like morris dancing :lol: Sorry if I've offended anyone ... If you're wondering what Rory made of that, he was slightly surprised but not afraid of my views. Regarding the Roy Rogers outfit, I think you're probably right! I reckon it probably was Rory's and he outgrew it, then it became Donal's 8-)

Can only speak for myself- I'm not offended at all, the world would be a boring place if everyone thought and believed the same. And, as a Catholic myself I can say most the Catholics I know find a fair amount of humor in our practices, truth be told- some of the funniest jokes I've ever heard were about that very topic. ["archaic like morris dancing" confused about the reference though. :? Morris like the cat? or ???] I just thought the photos were adorable, and the (slightly jealous?) look on Rory's face is cute. :D

PS enjoy the festival in Ballyshannon (you who are lucky enough to go)

Addendum-
I just google'd it, Morris Dance- some kind of English folk dance. :oops: Learned something new :roll:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 26 May 2013, 23:12

Another photo for the collection ... and ... no ... that is not me!
Rory%20Gallagher%20and%20friend%201977,%20NY_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 May 2013, 02:34

Flamenca wrote:Another photo for the collection ... and ... no ... that is not me!
Rory%20Gallagher%20and%20friend%201977,%20NY_2.jpg

Rory looks very handsome there . . . :D

You ought to try and get those photos of you with Rory, before they end up totally lost or destroyed or something 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby loulamb » 30 May 2013, 23:28

Here are some photos of Rory and Roland that I came across :D (rocktimes.de)
loulamb

Postby loulamb » 04 Jun 2013, 21:59

Some Taste photos, Live in Munich;

Last edited by loulamb on 24 Jul 2013, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
loulamb

Postby RobertaSparrow » 05 Jun 2013, 02:01

Lou,
Wonderful photos! :D :D :D :D I especially like the second one- looks like Rory is holding a rainbow in his hands. It would have been something to see Taste in the beginning like that.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Sinner Girl » 05 Jun 2013, 13:21

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER ~ Photo Finish at the Shooting Gallery