Ginger Baker RIP. Taste toured with Cream in USA

№1 RORY FORUM PAGE. For Rory Gallagher. Discuss Rory related things with respect always!

Re: Ginger Baker RIP. Taste toured with Cream in USA

Postby Jay Jay » 07 Oct 2019, 10:58

As a drummer myself I can appreciate what a great talent Ginger was.
Although the Cream were never a great Taste of mine musically.

Ginger Baker R.I.P.
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 07 Oct 2019, 13:59

R.I.P Mr Baker. :(
I agree with Jay Jay.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby zanny » 08 Oct 2019, 01:52

I wonder whether Rory or Donal witnessed any of the legendary fights between Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker (some of them happened on stage) that reportedly brought Clapton to tears on more than one occasion.

Baker was born before the PC age, back in the day when it was acceptable to nickname a redhaired child 'Ginger'.
I sometimes think about the nicknames of old blues/jazz/booggie-woogie musicians and singers: 'Blind' was common (Lemon Jefferson; Willie McTell; Willie Johnson), and there was 'Blind Boy' (Fuller). Also 'Cripple' (Clarence Lofton) and 'Peg-Leg' (Howell). More recently, 'Fats' (Waller; Domino).
Wouldn't/couldn't happen now!
zanny

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Oct 2019, 18:19

Rest in peace Mr. Baker.

zanny wrote:I wonder whether Rory or Donal witnessed any of the legendary fights between Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker (some of them happened on stage) that reportedly brought Clapton to tears on more than one occasion.

Baker was born before the PC age, back in the day when it was acceptable to nickname a redhaired child 'Ginger'.
I sometimes think about the nicknames of old blues/jazz/booggie-woogie musicians and singers: 'Blind' was common (Lemon Jefferson; Willie McTell; Willie Johnson), and there was 'Blind Boy' (Fuller). Also 'Cripple' (Clarence Lofton) and 'Peg-Leg' (Howell). More recently, 'Fats' (Waller; Domino).
Wouldn't/couldn't happen now!

Taste toured with Cream, and Ginger Baker's reputation preceded him, so I'd be willing to bet that they did. Would be interesting to hear Donal"s take.

Would have been doubly interesting if Rory had stepped in when Clapton left. I wonder how he and Ginger Baker would have gotten along? We know Rory would've been great with Jack Bruce, though.

Ginger isn't a derogatory term over here. It never occurred to me that it was a problem until my daughter, who is a redhead, came home from school and mentioned she had heard the term from a schoolmate. We get a lot of the TV programming and such from the UK, but the nuances don't necessarily translate. It certainly can cause some amusing misunderstandings though. :)

Rory and Jack Bruce. Jack: "It goes like this ... " Rory shakes his head, doesn't remember it. Doesn't take him long, though.

P.S. I know this thread is for Ginger, but a quick aside- I love Rory's take on this one. Very different from Clapton's. Rory plays off of Jack's playing more than Eric did, IMHO.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jukka » 11 Oct 2019, 18:28

Ginger Baker, one of the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3yDealMJt4
Open minded guy, exploring drum playing in other parts of the world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6W_07sxw-k

Rest In Peace, Ginger Baker
Jukka

Postby SUBY1974 » 20 Oct 2019, 19:21

I was saddened to hear of Ginger Baker's passing. While in Scotland, in September 2019 to see Sinnerboy, me, Susie and her partner were talking about Cream and Ginger Baker. He really was and is a great drummer and an inspiration for other musicians and drummers. It was surreal to talk about Ginger and a week later he passes away. We knew he was not well for sometime. My condolences and prayers to his family, friends, music colleagues and fan. RIP Ginger Baker. Your legacy will live on.
Our two favourite Cream gigs. One at the Cream farewell concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 1969 and one at the Cream reunion 2005 at the Royal Albert Hall. Subrata. x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FZ0pv9R1uY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF-pMingp6A
SUBY1974

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • TASTE•FUL • HOMEPAGE